Everything you Ever Wanted to know about Serial - TTL

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna wear out the flash chip on this device Shocked

Last edited by barryware on Wed Oct 14, 2009 16:48; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
In trying to figure out how and doing some research on regards to CFE commands at the cfe prompt.. I ran across this. Interesting.... I'll test at some point.

"You can use the CFE to flash a new TRX image without a serial console, simply by holding down the orange EZ-Setup button while powering on the device for about ten seconds. At that point CFE goes into "rescue mode"; it starts a TFTP server (on what default IP address?) and waits for a TRX image to be sent over the network."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
"You can use the CFE to flash a new TRX image without a serial console, simply by holding down the orange EZ-Setup button while powering on the device for about ten seconds. At that point CFE goes into "rescue mode"; it starts a TFTP server (on what default IP address?) and waits for a TRX image to be sent over the network."

Which router uses trx? Asus?

There is a similar process for flashing my Ralink based GHR g300n. Start a tftp client on the computer and then use it to flash. There is information about this in the Ralink WHR-g300n install wiki. Might help.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
barryware wrote:

Which router uses trx? Asus?

There is a similar process for flashing my Ralink based GHR g300n. Start a tftp client on the computer and then use it to flash. There is information about this in the Ralink WHR-g300n install wiki. Might help.

Some linksys do also.. WAP54G V2 for instance. You can just rename bins to trx's and visa versa (I think). That is what you need to do to revert a wap.

Go to the ftp site.. I made a folder called "information library". I just put a pdf there in regards to broadcom cfe's and using the cfe prompt. it is an older document but most is still valid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
In trying to figure out how and doing some research on regards to CFE commands at the cfe prompt.. I ran across this. Interesting.... I'll test at some point.

It didn't work on a GL.. I would expect that you must run an OEM cfe for this to work. A V5, V8, etc has the bsp replaced. A GL uses the stock linksys cfe.. Holding the ses button while powering on.. did nothing.

I post back with more worthless information as it becomes available..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I post back with more worthless information as it becomes available..
LMAO!!! Not a problem here BW. Laughing Laughing Laughing

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this on line about a serial flash of a ubiquiti bullet....looks like a kernel flash. Someone who knows more about linux might have to explain what is happening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pQaMyFPng&e

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
My biggest problem now.. Is getting the file from disk to ram (load). Then you flash the ram to the chip (flash).

It's the very 1st step and it is kicking my a$$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
My biggest problem now.. Is getting the file from disk to ram (load). Then you flash the ram to the chip (flash).

It's the very 1st step and it is kicking my a$$

Here is what I use for that first step....you need to have a tftp SERVER running to pull the image over to the router.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So do we have any kinda of clear instructions? is it doable? Have you guys given up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
So do we have any kinda of clear instructions? is it doable? Have you guys given up?

it was solved quite some time ago. It was another bricked 600 thread. I was using a gl that I could recover to test so the guy with the 600 didn't f$ck it up all together.

However since then, we have found a much easier way.

just bust into the boot if the router still wants to boot. then tell the cfe to listen for a tftp upload, then launch the tftp utility.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
So pretty much if it's bootable, you could probably catch the TFTP window on boot wait right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

it was solved quite some time ago. It was another bricked 600 thread. [snip]

just bust into the boot if the router still wants to boot. then tell the cfe to listen for a tftp upload, then launch the tftp utility.

OK, the first and third steps are easy. The first is ^C through the serial cable during power-up (timing is everything) and the last is self evident to anyone who has used tftp to flash. I think this step is less than clear:

"tell the cfe to listen for a tftp upload"

It seems like that info would be good in this thread, here and now. Can you help us find the relevant command within the 250+ posts answering a search on "another bricked 600"? Thanks.

I ask this because I have a router (USR5432) with corrupted nvram and/or corrupted linux, so it won't boot. At the very least I'll have to erase nvram over the serial console using the CFE, but then I'll probably need to manually set the vlan0 and vlan1 port numbers. Why? Because I already know that this CFE does not listen to the router's single ethernet port for a tftp upload by itself, since it thinks the port is for the WAN till the firmware boots and reconfigures it.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
modervador wrote:
I think this step is less than clear:

"tell the cfe to listen for a tftp upload"

Don't YOU talk to your routers? Laughing

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Don't YOU talk to your routers? Laughing

All the time. Sometimes they answer, and to be honest, it kind of creeps me out.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: