How to set up wireless WNDR3300?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
briankitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:01    Post subject: How to set up wireless WNDR3300? Reply with quote
Ok. I give up, just where are you hiding the documentation to set up wireless on the router (NOT bridging, and NOT access point, just plain standard basic normal wireless)?

I've fought with this, and fought with this. I did eventually get the G up, although, I have to have both a physical interface, and a virtual to get it to work, now I'm broadcasing 2 SSIDs. This can't possibly be right, but since there is no documentation, I don't have a clue what to do. Some documentation sure would be nice.

I want to get N working, but can't. I keep getting the undocumented error 'the selected data rate is not correct', no matter what I do. How does everyone else figure this crap out with no documentation?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plain jane routing is referred to as AP mode in dd-wrt. Read the announcements at the top of the forum for basic information to configure, and to post if you need help.

Do a hard reset, and plug the router into your modem. You might have to bridge the modem and set up the wan connection in your router. There should be info in the wiki on this, but aside from connecting to your modem, you should be able to plug it in and go.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
briankitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I just CANNOT find any documentation on AP mode. I've spent hours digging through this site, and just cannot find it.

Please just copy the link, and paste it here?

This has to be the absolutely most unorganized site I've been on for technical support. I don't know how anyone finds anything here, it's just a mess.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The guy who organizes everything just so, is away. So is the guy who finds the links for you. If configuring the basics is beyond your abilities, then, and I mean no offence, dd-wrt might not be for you. You do need to read the announcements, but here are the basic instructions:

Murrkf wrote:
Do a hard reset, and plug the router into your modem. You might have to bridge the modem and set up the wan connection in your router. There should be info in the wiki on this, but aside from connecting to your modem, you should be able to plug it in and go.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
briankitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off, cap the attitude. I asked a simple, very legitimate question. Where is the documentation. I don't need your idiot commentary, that doesn't help anyone.

I do know a thing or two about routers, actually have a CCNA. I know Cisco is far different from DD-WRT, but guess what, Cisco has documentation when you are not sure about an option. There are 100's of options in DD-WRT, and barely any documentation, at least on AP mode, which should be the most common wireless mode used. I think it speaks poorly of DD-WRT that they build such powerful software, with not a stitch of documentation.

If you don't know the answer, just say 'I don't know', but it doesn't mean I'm stupid just because I ask for documentation. I guarantee you can't figure everything out without any documentation.

By the way, I have wireless G working, I can't get wireless N to work on the router. So this is not exactly an 'I'm clueless' question, I keep getting errors connecting to the N band. G works, N doesn't, so I have the basic set up properly, just not all of it.
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you go to the wireless basic setup page in the gui, on the right is some "help" documentation. Click on the "more" on near the top.

This may help also:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51039

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not really sure what to tell you....Wireless>>Basic is where you setup the AP to whatever mode/channel you want.

Radio #1 has 5GHz channels for A and N ...if a G or B is selected...then it reverts to being a 2.4GHz radio.

Radio #2 is 2.4GHz ONLY.

In Murrkf's defense...this really isn't hard to do and is very basic...if you hard reset and configure just this Wireless>>Basic tab (clicking SAVE then APPLY)...you'll have an AP running.

The rest is all custom for your network.

Another thing...you NEVER said what build you are trying to load....that is part of the announcements too.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried that. Tried everything on that page. Tweaked settings that really have nothing to do with the error I'm getting, just out of desperation. I'm even tweaking stuff on the 'advanced' page. I've reset back to factory 3 times, just can't get 'N' to work.

I know 'N' works on my router, when I was running the Netgear firmware it worked fine. I just wanted more control over my router, so I put in DD-WRT. 'N' does not work on DD-WRT. G works perfectly. I've tweaked every single option that I can find for 'N', and no matter what, I get errors connecting to it.

I was hoping to find some documentation, so I can trouble shoot advanced settings myself, but that appears to be too much to ask for.

Getting very frustrated, there is very little, if any documentation on this. I just keep getting transmission errors. About read to bail on DD-WRT, because it just appears to me it does not work in 'N' mode.

I'm running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) std
Is there a better version for doing 'N' mode?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
R U trying to get it to work in 5GHz or 2.4GHz mode....not all N wireless is 5GHz...I suggest you try G/B on Radio #1...and N on Radio #2...that will keep things all running at 2.4GHz

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
WNDR3300 has 2 radios. Radio 1 allows any mode, Radio 2 allows only 'Mixed', 'B', or 'G'. So I can't switch radios.

Currently using WPA-Personal with TKIP, but have tried other modes, none work.

I only have options 2.412 to 2.484 ,so I can't even try 5. I've currently got it on auto, but have tried a variety of the 14 available channels. None work.

Sometimes I get a 'invalid wireless key'. Which sounds like a no brainer, but it's a red herring. #1. For testing, I'm using a very short easy key. #2. I use the same key for G and N, and G works. #3. I click 'unmask', 'copy' (from 'G'), then paste into N. I disconnect from G, reconnect to G (pasting from clipboard) and it takes the key. I disconnect from G, connect to N, paste from clipboard, and it says the key is invalid. So it's a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

Sometimes I get transmission errors, but I've tried various transmission rates, none make a difference.

I pulled my version of firmware down, based on what I read on the forum. Maybe I read a bad post, and I have bad firmware? I'm Running firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) std - build 12533. Is there a better version for supporting N? It's really starting to appear that this version just doesn't work for N.

Thanks
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a little hard to understand what you are saying. It looks like you want to run N on the 5ghz band on wl0.

On my router, wl0 is the 2.4 radio, and wl1 is the 5ghz radio. Yours is backwards Razz (I have a different device)

if I am correct then you need to select NA only. When you make a selection, click "save" at the bottom of the page. Other options become available at that point. You won't see channel 50~+ until you have selected 5ghz by choosing NA and clicking save.

That is just one example. There are other radio options that come & go based on what selections of certain parameters are made.

Select a parameter, change it to your liking, click save.

Nothing takes effect till you click "apply"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies for the mis-information about the N on the second radio...you're correct....I should have checked myself before posting that....again...sorry about that.

If you run A-Only or NA-Only it will run in the 5GHz BW...all other modes will be 2.4GHz for Radio #1.

It could very well be an enhancement since 12533 build. I have 12672 std running on mine....I am not using N though...so I can't help test the N-Only problem.

If I see Eko tomorrow...I'll point him to this thread...he is the one that added support for the 3300 unit....maybe he knows of something that is missing.

In the mean time...give the 12672 build a try.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F08-19-09-r12672%2Fbroadcom/

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I will try to rephrase that.

Interface 0 (the first Radio), let's me select any wireless protocol (A, B, G, N, and combinations of those).

Interface 1 (the second Radio), only lets me select B or G. I cannot select N on Interface 1, even if I disable Interface 0. Interface 1 is ONLY a B/G radio. I don't know if I have some option stuck that does that, but that's all I see.

For both interfaces, the range of channels I can select start at 2.414GHZ and go up to 2.484GHZ. You mentioned 5GHZ, I don't see that anywhere. Not sure where I could turn that on, but you're telling me not to use it, so no problem. However, I would love to use 5GHZ, I have a lot of wireless devices in my house, and I suffer a great deal from wireless interferance. That was the main reason for going to DD-WRT in the first place.
briankitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Redhawk. I will download that firmware and try it, but I cannot do that until this evening. I have a big FTP job running for work right now, and cannot reboot router at this time.

I will apply that firmware tonight and see what gives.
briankitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Redhawk, I assume you mean dd-wrt.v24_std-wndr3300.chk correct? There are about 30 downloads on that link, I just want to be sure I grabbed the one you were referring to.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: