Please help update the WIKI Install Instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Tweezak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05    Post subject: WRT54Gv2 is outdated Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v2.0 recommends using v24sp1. I am posting a note here per the peacock guide.

I'm just getting started with DD-WRT and don't feel confident myself to update the wiki at this point. If I (1) figure out which firmware to use and (2) get good results I will update the page. This may be a week or so from now after I've been able to test for a while.

At the moment I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std - build 13064M VINT Eko as a repeater bridge. I've found that every day when I come home from work my phone can't get an IP address and my (wired) laptop coming out of sleep can't connect until I power cycle the router. Other than that it seems to be running swell.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:06    Post subject: Re: WRT54Gv2 is outdated Reply with quote
Tweezak wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v2.0 recommends using v24sp1. I am posting a note here per the peacock guide.

I'm just getting started with DD-WRT and don't feel confident myself to update the wiki at this point. If I (1) figure out which firmware to use and (2) get good results I will update the page. This may be a week or so from now after I've been able to test for a while.

At the moment I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std - build 13064M VINT Eko as a repeater bridge. I've found that every day when I come home from work my phone can't get an IP address and my (wired) laptop coming out of sleep can't connect until I power cycle the router. Other than that it seems to be running swell.

It is actually 14929 at note 9 of the updated instructions

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
PhilSalkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43    Post subject: Wiki entry for Linksys WRT350N V1 is outdated Reply with quote
The Wiki currently suggests V24 SP1 for the WRT350N:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Cisco then scroll down a few pages...

That's clearly wrong, and from reading and searching, it seems the proper answer is BrainSlayer r14929, but I'd love confirmation before I just change the page... Anybody know if that's the proper choice for my old but fairly reliable router?

Thanks!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 15:28    Post subject: Re: Wiki entry for Linksys WRT350N V1 is outdated Reply with quote
PhilSalkie wrote:
The Wiki currently suggests V24 SP1 for the WRT350N:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Cisco then scroll down a few pages...

That's clearly wrong, and from reading and searching, it seems the proper answer is BrainSlayer r14929, but I'd love confirmation before I just change the page... Anybody know if that's the proper choice for my old but fairly reliable router?

Thanks!

That isn't the install wiki for that router. That is the supported devices wiki.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
PhilSalkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 17:21    Post subject: Re: Wiki entry for Linksys WRT350N V1 is outdated Reply with quote
While I now realize the "Supported Devices" page is showing the "minimum required version", should it really be pointing to a version which is "full of bugs" and highly dis-recommended elsewhere?

The install page for the WRT350N doesn't recommend a version at all, save for what to use for the initial flashing, which one is then instructed to immediately flash some unspecified build over. Should I change the page to suggest 14929 Mega?

Thanks!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 17:33    Post subject: Re: Wiki entry for Linksys WRT350N V1 is outdated Reply with quote
PhilSalkie wrote:
While I now realize the "Supported Devices" page is showing the "minimum required version", should it really be pointing to a version which is "full of bugs" and highly dis-recommended elsewhere?

The install page for the WRT350N doesn't recommend a version at all, save for what to use for the initial flashing, which one is then instructed to immediately flash some unspecified build over. Should I change the page to suggest 14929 Mega?

Thanks!

Most times what i suggest is a person follow the wiki for their unit to get dd-wrt on it and functional, after which if they decide they want to upgrade the build they need to follow the forum announcements which have all the recommended builds linked in.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 15:03    Post subject: Re: Wiki entry for Linksys WRT350N V1 is outdated Reply with quote
PhilSalkie wrote:

Thanks!

The supported devices wiki doesn't "point" to any version as it does not contain any flashing instructions. The install page tells readers to read notes 1 and 3 of the peacock which specifically covers upgrades, and the wiki install already has a proper trailed 14929 linked to download. You would NOT flash MEGA generic as an initial flash, so NO, you should not change the wiki as it is absolutely right the way it is and your proposed change would be incorrect.

usernamenumber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 0:50    Post subject: Bad links on WRTGv8 wiki page Reply with quote
Both of the firmware download links on the WRTGv8 install page are broken. However, it looks like you only need to fiddle with the hostnames.

Link to the "killer" image should* be: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/tornado/Gv8/vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin (originally an http link to www.open-wrt.com)

Link to the openwrt image should* be: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin (originally an ftp link to dd-wrt.com (without the "ftp" hostname))

...hmmm. Maybe I've just been staring at docs for too long and my brain has melted, but I went to implement these changes and can't seem to create an account. The "Log in / create account" link takes me to a login page, and when I enter a non-existent username it tells me to create an account, but there doesn't seem to be a link to actually do that. Neither the main page nor the Help page seem to say anything about it, but perhaps account creation was turned off as an anti-spam measure?

* = Anyway, it's possible that me not making the change yet is for the best, since I'm a complete noob at openwrt, and have zero knowledge re whether those images are still appropriate even if the links are good, so per the peacock thread I'm going to notify folks here, and hopefully someone can both confirm that these are still the best images (which I would greatly appreciate!) and update the links.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Re: Bad links on WRTGv8 wiki page Reply with quote
usernamenumber wrote:
Both of the firmware download links on the WRTGv8 install page are broken. However, it looks like you only need to fiddle with the hostnames.

Link to the "killer" image should* be: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/tornado/Gv8/vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin (originally an http link to www.open-wrt.com)

Link to the openwrt image should* be: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin (originally an ftp link to dd-wrt.com (without the "ftp" hostname))

...hmmm. Maybe I've just been staring at docs for too long and my brain has melted, but I went to implement these changes and can't seem to create an account. The "Log in / create account" link takes me to a login page, and when I enter a non-existent username it tells me to create an account, but there doesn't seem to be a link to actually do that. Neither the main page nor the Help page seem to say anything about it, but perhaps account creation was turned off as an anti-spam measure?

* = Anyway, it's possible that me not making the change yet is for the best, since I'm a complete noob at openwrt, and have zero knowledge re whether those images are still appropriate even if the links are good, so per the peacock thread I'm going to notify folks here, and hopefully someone can both confirm that these are still the best images (which I would greatly appreciate!) and update the links.

Done. Thanks.

usernamenumber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just noticed that "Implementation" steps 6 and 9 also have bad links (step 9 has two of them).
Specter7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:13    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GS V1.0 How to Flash - Confirmed Instructions Reply with quote
Hello,

It's my first time posting. There are three things I noticed in this wiki that I think need to be addressed.

First, I noticed that the confirmed instructions for the Linksys WRT54GS v1.0 wiki install page [http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v1.0] mentions "See important2," but there is nothing on the page referring to that. I assume it must be referring to the "Important2" mentioned in Note 1 of the peacock thread announcement [https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486&sid=992899ddb6727b7613bce4f8ec0249bd].

Second, I'm confused by the WRT54GS v1.0 wiki instructions under "Flashing of existing version (Upgrading from mini to Mega)" about setting a static IP. I assume one does that in the dd-wrt web interface after the initial steps involving the flashed mini build in the wiki? I'm a noob, so I'm not that familiar with static IP addresses, let alone how to set them.

Third, the peacock thread says to avoid the 13064 build under Note 5, but the wiki for the WRT54GS v1.0 shows to use that exact build number for the initial mini build flash and for the ending mega build flash. Another thread titled "STOP! IMPORTANT- READ THIS short post First, BEFORE POSTING!" announcement [https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889&sid=992899ddb6727b7613bce4f8ec0249bd] also mentions NOT to use "the crappy build 10/10/09 (13064)." So, what DD-WRT build should one use for a Linksys WRT54GS v.1.0 router, that has the original Linksys firmware version 4.71.4 on it?

Thanks,

Specter7
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
initial flash can be found at link below. it is the recommended build for your router. initial flash is mini. once it is flashed you can then upgrade to standard or mega version as you do have 32 mb of flash on your router. i hope this helps. and yes important2 is important.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gs.bin
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
the IP address is for computer you are using not the router you are flashing. you have to navigate through control panel network settings. go to network and sharing center and click on change adapter settings then click on local area connection then in local area status box click on properties then on Internet Protocol Version 4 then click on Use the Following IP address.
since ddwrt defaults to 192.168.1.1, which is what most but not all routers have as default IP address. you will USE 192.168.1.8 or something similar with a different last number than 1. could be 5 or 6 etc. subnet 255.255.255.0 then click OK. your computer now has a static IP address that won't conflict with your router.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 16:51    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS V1.0 How to Flash - Confirmed Instructio Reply with quote
Specter7 wrote:
Hello,

It's my first time posting. There are three things I noticed in this wiki that I think need to be addressed.

First, I noticed that the confirmed instructions for the Linksys WRT54GS v1.0 wiki install page [http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v1.0] mentions "See important2," but there is nothing on the page referring to that. I assume it must be referring to the "Important2" mentioned in Note 1 of the peacock thread announcement [https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486&sid=992899ddb6727b7613bce4f8ec0249bd].

Second, I'm confused by the WRT54GS v1.0 wiki instructions under "Flashing of existing version (Upgrading from mini to Mega)" about setting a static IP. I assume one does that in the dd-wrt web interface after the initial steps involving the flashed mini build in the wiki? I'm a noob, so I'm not that familiar with static IP addresses, let alone how to set them.

Third, the peacock thread says to avoid the 13064 build under Note 5, but the wiki for the WRT54GS v1.0 shows to use that exact build number for the initial mini build flash and for the ending mega build flash. Another thread titled "STOP! IMPORTANT- READ THIS short post First, BEFORE POSTING!" announcement [https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889&sid=992899ddb6727b7613bce4f8ec0249bd] also mentions NOT to use "the crappy build 10/10/09 (13064)." So, what DD-WRT build should one use for a Linksys WRT54GS v.1.0 router, that has the original Linksys firmware version 4.71.4 on it?

Thanks,

Specter7

Yeah...those instructions sucked. Should be better now.

ptfnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:00    Post subject: Updated ASUS on hardware-specific page Reply with quote
I updated the Asus section in Hardware-Specific (English) <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware-specific#Asus>; I copied the more comprehensive list of supported hardware from the main Asus page <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus>.

I also added an "Also see" comment at the bottom, in case these entries get out of date in the future. When I get a chance, I will review the other sections in Hardware-Specific, and update them similarly.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: