Please help update the WIKI Install Instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Masterman wrote:
I created a separate page for formatting/ partitioning external drives for Optware, etc. Trying to minimize the size of the "Optware, the right way" Wiki. Before I delete the format instructions in that Wiki, let me know what you think of this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device

Also, the "Disk Utility" in Ubuntu 9.10 is worthless. It won't let you create a Swap file. I used GParted instead for the tutorial.

That's pretty much the same way for an SD card except for one detail. /SDC1 has to be the data partition so that the router mounts it to /mmc when you enable SD/MMC Support. Then /opt, then jffs, and finally swap. So it ends up being that /mmc is the data partition. The router has to mount /mmc to something for the function to work. /mmc turned out to be the easy candidate.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
Masterman wrote:
I created a separate page for formatting/ partitioning external drives for Optware, etc. Trying to minimize the size of the "Optware, the right way" Wiki. Before I delete the format instructions in that Wiki, let me know what you think of this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device

Also, the "Disk Utility" in Ubuntu 9.10 is worthless. It won't let you create a Swap file. I used GParted instead for the tutorial.

That's pretty much the same way for an SD card except for one detail. /SDC1 has to be the data partition so that the router mounts it to /mmc when you enable SD/MMC Support. Then /opt, then jffs, and finally swap. So it ends up being that /mmc is the data partition. The router has to mount /mmc to something for the function to work. /mmc turned out to be the easy candidate.

Add it to the Wiki then. I am going to go ahead and delete the clusterfuck that's in the "optware, the right way" Wiki...

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did a complete douching of the Optware Wiki, lemme know what you think:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
WDS Multiple Router setup has been upgraded. I put the NEW WIKI MATERIAL above the old wiki material, so that once the new material is checked, the old stuff can be deleted.

The old material referred to using DHCP forwarder?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiki page started, if someone with this hardware would like to update it with a proper flash procedure.

Asus RT-N12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
We need to stop the jumping through hoops from page to page of the wiki, clicking on a link to get another link.

For example, the Linksys page should take to a list of ALL linksys routers, and clicking on one should take a person directly to an install guide for that router, not a shorter list that one has to choose from again.

A person should be able to get to installation instructions in no more than two clicks. What is happening now is a bit of a mess and should be fixed.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ddggttff3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, just did my part and did a big update to the asus RT-N16 page. Would like someone to go over it fast and see if anything needs to be cleaned up/fixed. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16
1x WRT310N - TomatoUSB Dev Test Build 9-22-10
1x RT-N16 - TomatoUSB SVN Build 9-13-10
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
We need to stop the jumping through hoops from page to page of the wiki, clicking on a link to get another link.

For example, the Linksys page should take to a list of ALL linksys routers, and clicking on one should take a person directly to an install guide for that router, not a shorter list that one has to choose from again.

A person should be able to get to installation instructions in no more than two clicks. What is happening now is a bit of a mess and should be fixed.

What would you suggest? Maybe 1 page per manufacturer? The hardware specific page is growing and getting quite daunting to sift through. My personal opinion is each unit should have it's own page so that it does make one humongous page and specific information is easier to find.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about this for the linksys and others could be done the same.

Test Linksys Wiki

Obviously the specific information on the ones not created yet will have to be entered on they're pages.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just view Linksys by it's category.

Got OpenDNS?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What DHC has suggested would work fine, in my view. Let's get other's input before we do anything radical.

Luniz, that also works, but I don't know how you shift to category view...what I was looking for was something that did this that works even for noobs, (and me!)

DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
What DHC has suggested would work fine, in my view. Let's get other's input before we do anything radical.

Luniz, that also works, but I don't know how you shift to category view...what I was looking for was something that did this that works even for noobs, (and me!)

Someone named clock is doin MAJOR changes so I shoved in my suggestion to see what he thinks. I didn't delete any thing.

My contrib's

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know who "clock" is or what major changes they are or should be doing.....

But I do think we could have a long indexed page with ALL the supported routers and a link to the install guides. In a perfect world:

1. All the installs would be updated to recent stable builds (no sp1, or v.23)
2. The supported devices wiki would link to the proper install guide.

DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I don't know who "clock" is or what major changes they are or should be doing.....

But I do think we could have a long indexed page with ALL the supported routers and a link to the install guides. In a perfect world:

1. All the installs would be updated to recent stable builds (no sp1, or v.23)
2. The supported devices wiki would link to the proper install guide.
Oh I agree but check the install page...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware-specific

I think "clock" did a great job.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the hardware specific page should be back on the main page. Now one has to click on the install, click on the hardware specific, click on the manufacturer and finally perhaps get instructions.

Two clicks should be all that is needed. Even putting the manufacturers info on the main page would remove one click.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: