Linking 2 routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
manic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Linking 2 routers Reply with quote
I have read and followed the wiki many times and nothing has worked. (and read some on the forums)

I have a router that is working fine, but I need another to extend my wireless range. I have been trying to make the second be a Repeater Bridge, with no success. It might have to do with the firmware. I haven't wanted to mess with that since I have read about some firmware not working.

The main router (AP): (this router HAS to work since it is being used by my parents business)
Linksys WRT54G v.5
Firmware: v23 SP1 final (5-16-06)micro

Secondary router:
Linksys WRT54G v.3
Firmware: v24 RC-5 (11-22-07)std

If you think I need to upgrade a firmware, which should I upgrade to?
I haven't upgraded firmware and I think the main router has to be micro (though I don't know anything about that since I didn't set these up).

They were working fine before a storm hit, so I know there is a way to do this. x_x

Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I would defiantly update that firmware. It may be part of the problem. Can you get a cable connection from the main router to the secondary router? If so that would be great, then you could set up the secondary router as an access point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update to svn11296 by eko and if i were you i would use Linksys WRT54G v.3 as a main router since it is a better router. v5 is very limited.
Use micro for v5 and
std for v3

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been happy with 12548. If you use 11296, which is an older but well tested good build, be sure to put the firewall script in to deal with the exploit.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
manic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I have been happy with 12548. If you use 11296, which is an older but well tested good build, be sure to put the firewall script in to deal with the exploit.

The exploit is people able to get into the network?

We don't have any problems since we live in the country. Never even had a password for our wireless. No one ever gets close enough to our house to see that we have wireless, lol.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
manic wrote:
The exploit is people able to get into the network?

DD-WRT home page, bright yellow highlight.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
manic wrote:
We don't have any problems since we live in the country. Never even had a password for our wireless. No one ever gets close enough to our house to see that we have wireless, lol.

As long as you don't use the internet or visit any internet sites, you'll be fine..... Shocked Laughing

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't exploit dangerous ONLY if GUI management is open for the internet?

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
m00nman wrote:

No. If the web interface is enabled at all, you're vulnerable unless you take measures to secure it on the old builds.

m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
m00nman wrote:

No. If the web interface is enabled at all, you're vulnerable unless you take measures to secure it on the old builds.

Good to know, thanks Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: