DIR-600 Rev A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
adogfacedgod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monte2
Thanks for the help. I was able to load it and follow the links you gave. I had to instal a bunch of Luci dependencies, but alas I have the GUI up and running, but some of the links come up with can't display page, and under wifi it says none installed. Any pointers or links for Luci help? I followed a lot of posts on Openwrt, and it seems like most people are where I am, and being green my tech knowledge is limited.
PS. has anyone donated one of the DIR-600 A1 for DD-WRT?
Sponsor
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
adogfacedgod wrote:
and under wifi it says none installed.

I'm guessing either hostapd or kmod-ath9k isn't installed.

opkg update
opkg install hostapd
opkg install kmod-ath9k
reboot

If it doesn't show up, cat /etc/config/wireless, so we
can see what's detected. Also show the output from opkg list-installed.
traveler359
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:23    Post subject: frys FR-54RTR hw donation Reply with quote
I emailed them yesterday and no as yet they do not have one of these units donated. How ever I don't work for dd-wrt just relaying what I received via email.

If you would like to donate one go to the dd-wrt.com home page and follow the instructions under donations. This is espicaly true due to customs regulations.

contact the DD-WRT team directly about donating before you send anything though just to make sure no ones beat you to it.
mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just picked up two units of FR-550RT from a local Fry's Electronics store for $11.99/each. If anyone is interested, this router can be ordered @Fry's Electronics Online Store for $11.99. Someone had done this and got free S/H as seen here.

Last edited by mazilo on Fri May 21, 2010 13:11; edited 1 time in total
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 22:57    Post subject: DD-WRT mostly works on the DIR-601 A1 Reply with quote
I picked up a DIR-601 A1 over the weekend and flashed it to OpenWrt using the special web interface (hold reset button down, plug in power and wait about 15 seconds or so until the power light flashes orange) and then to DD-WRT from OpneWRT.

Set PC to Ip address 192.168.0.2 and pointed IE to 192.168.0.1 and flashed ' openwrt-ar71xx-dir-600-a1-squashfs-factory.bin ' to the router with no problems. After the flash I reset my IP address to DHCP and connected to the router at 192.168.1.1.

Without further testing I used the OpenWRT web interface's firmware upgrade to flash DD-WRT for the DIR-615 ' dir615e1-firmware.bin ' to the router. (I went this route because I could not figure out the Hardware Code that is mentioned in the WIKI for installing DD-WRT on a DIR-615 from D-Link firmware).

Basically DD-WRT for the DIR-615 E1 works on the DIR-601 A1 in that login, change password, all four LAN ports, WAN, DHCP, LEDs, Telnet, NTP, etc. all work except there is no wireless at all. The Tab for wireless is missing, the wireless LED is dark and I do not see any SSID information being broadcast from it. Not really surprised since the radio hardware is probably different from the DIR-615.

The DIR-601 rev A1 specs as posted in another thread.

RAM: Zentel A3S56d40ETP 256Mbit(32Mbyte)
CPU: Atheros AR7240
ROM: Winbong 25X32VFIG 32Mbit (4Mbyte) Sad
WIFI: Atheros AR9285

This post was done via the DIR-601 running DD-WRT and using a wired LAN and WAN connection.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:49    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT mostly works on the DIR-601 A1 Reply with quote
chateau wrote:

Basically DD-WRT for the DIR-615 E1 works on the DIR-601 A1 in that login, change password, all four LAN ports, WAN, DHCP, LEDs, Telnet, NTP, etc. all work except there is no wireless at all. The Tab for wireless is missing, the wireless LED is dark and I do not see any SSID information being broadcast from it. Not really surprised since the radio hardware is probably different from the DIR-615.

The DIR-601 rev A1 specs as posted in another thread.

RAM: Zentel A3S56d40ETP 256Mbit(32Mbyte)
CPU: Atheros AR7240
ROM: Winbong 25X32VFIG 32Mbit (4Mbyte) Sad
WIFI: Atheros AR9285

This post was done via the DIR-601 running DD-WRT and using a wired LAN and WAN connection.

DIR-601A1 has identical hardware specs to DIR-600A1 but there are differences to DIR-615E1.

DIR615E1 uses the AR7241 cpu and the AR9283 radio.
If I have got the specs of the radios correct, then it means that 600/601 is a single stream N router (150MBps) while 615 is a dual stream (300MBps).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
DIR615E1 uses the AR7241 cpu and the AR9283 radio.
If I have got the specs of the radios correct, then it means that 600/601 is a single stream N router (150MBps) while 615 is a dual stream (300MBps).

LOM, yes that is correct. The DIR-601 is a single stream N Router at 150 MBps.

I was only trying to see if DD-WRT would load on the DIR-601 A1 and was surprised that everything (that I tested) but the radio worked..
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
chateau wrote:

I was only trying to see if DD-WRT would load on the DIR-601 A1 and was surprised that everything (that I tested) but the radio worked..

Not a big surprise, the main differences between the cpu's is the pci bus handling so it makes sense that dd-wrt couldn't find the radio chip.

Brainslayer has recently added support for 7241/7242 and if I'm not wrong then it is a runtime detection and not a compile option.
So next 615E1 version may completely support 600/601 A1 (except for LED's and buttons if they should be on different gpio's).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Brainslayer has recently added support for 7241/7242 and if I'm not wrong then it is a runtime detection and not a compile option.
So next 615E1 version may completely support 600/601 A1 (except for LED's and buttons if they should be on different gpio's).

Thanks LOM. I think all the LEDs worked but I did not test the Reset and WPS buttons. I have OpenWRT back on it now but will test the buttons later today.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested the LEDs and Reset Button on my DIR-601 A1 running DD-WRT for the DIR-615 firmware.

All the LEDs for WAN, LAN and Power work.

The Reset Button works.

The WPS Button was non responsive but that may be normal.

gpio disable 0 - turns on the Blue WPS LED
gpio enable 0 - turns off the Blue WPS LED
DS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to clarify, did you flash the latest 15778 build from here? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/11-21-10-r15778/dlink-dir615e1/

I've got a DIR-601 and have also been waiting patiently for the right solution as well.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Just to clarify, did you flash the latest 15778 build

Yes, I flashed the latest build. Waiting on the next one now to see what works.

FYI, I initially had problems getting the correct Hardware ID for the DIR-601 A1 edited into the DD-WRT DIR-615 firmware as detailed in the WIKI for flashing DIR-615. Turns out, don't use Windows ' Hexedit ' a free hex editor. It was not displaying the end of each file so I could not see the information. Ended up using a linux editor and was able to edit the information correctly and get the DIR-615 firmware to load on my DIR-601 A1 without loading OpenWRT first.

OpenWRT also runs fine on my DIR-601 A1 after getting things set up although the WAN and LAN LEDs don't work (you can tinker with them via the Luci interface). Client works in that it connects to my main router via wireless and gives 4 LAN ports for whatever (had to use a different subnet to get it to work which would limit DLNA, I think) . I streamed Netflix through it to a Samsung BD-5500 with no apparent problems. There is no repeater function (that I can make work) in OpenWRT.
DS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the next release as well, hopefully it really has AR7241 support as well.

I tinkered to the point of getting DD-WRT loaded as well, I hexedited the hardware ID at the end of the DD-WRT bin using a program called HexFiend and loaded it up using the recovery page. For some reason openwrt just wouldn't work.

DD-WRT literally does work perfectly though minus the wireless part. I'm actually posting this through a wired connection to the router that's running DD-WRT.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I tinkered to the point of getting DD-WRT loaded as well, I hexedited the hardware ID at the end of the DD-WRT bin using a program called HexFiend and loaded it up using the recovery page. For some reason openwrt just wouldn't work.

OpenWRT definitely has a learning curve. Be sure to load the squashfs-factory and not the squashfs-systemupgrade when first flashing to OpenWRT. I also learned if I get anything to working, save a backup from there and name it something you can remember. That way if you kill the router you can flash OpenWRT back on the router and then reload your working backup and continue tinkering from there.

It appears from all the posts at OpenWRT that getting a bridged client interface working is pretty much impossible on the atheros hardware. The best I have been able to do is a ' client ' with the LAN in a different subnet from my main router. You should give the WAN a fixed IP address in your main router's subnet that will not clash with DHCP, gateway and DNS are set to your main router and bridge the WAN with the wireless interface. I may have left out something in all that.

Using ' client ' works fine when using the DIR-601 as an interface for a wired BD Player streaming Netflix but being in a different subnet (assuming your DLNA server is in your main router's subnet) the BD Player can't see the DLNA server. Probably is a work around but not sure it is worth the effort.

EDIT: Found another program called ' Gargoyle ' that appears to be a fork of OpenWRT that runs nicely on the DIR-601 A1 hardware and supports bridged-client and bridged-repeater.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed the latest DIR-615 E1, DIR-615 E3 and DIR-615 E4 builds for 15940 to my DIR-601 A1 router. Still no go on the radio. Everything else works (that I tested) but the Wireless Tab is still missing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: