DIR-600 Rev A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PashRoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also picked up a DIR-601 recently to upgrade to something more modern.. what I got was a router with pitiful wireless range, but otherwise it works fine and dandy.

Got it flashed to Gargoyle right now, but no LAN leds are working.. Sad
Sponsor
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Got it flashed to Gargoyle right now, but no LAN leds are working.

The LAN Leds do not work on mine either using Gargoyle. They also did not work using OpenWRT.

Gargoyle has some nice features and makes the DIR-601 A1 router usable.

I haven't tried the latest DD-WRT build yet and have not seen anything in TRAC that appears to be DIR-601 related. Probably will try it later in the week anyway.
PashRoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tested out DD-WRT on it an hour ago. It seemed to be working great just like the previous posters said. The GUI is responsive, fast, and the cpu load is always low or zero, but of course there's no wireless available.

Ran into a problem 15 minutes later though; Everything beyond the WAN port became inaccessible despite the router GUI and LED indication there was a successful connection. This was with the Brainslayer build r15778.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
here the 601 images

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
here the 601 images

OK, thanks Brainslayer.

I loaded ' dir601a1-factory-to-dd-wrt.bin ' using Firmware Update while running factory firmware on my DIR-601 A1 hardware and it appears to work.

I have it setup now as LAN of 192.168.2.1 with the WAN connected to my main router which is 192.168.1.1. The wireless is setup as an AP, AES, WPA2.

I see a lot of neat Wireless features but have not been able to figure out Client, Client Bridged, etc. yet. Give me a little time.

The WAN and LAN Leds seem to be working as expected. My wireless Led was working (I think) but stopped somewhere along the line when I was trying Client Mode. Wireless is working fine since I am doing this post via wireless to the DIR-601.

Edit: Rebooted the router but the Wireless Led is still not working. My wireless speed is 65 mbs using a 150 mbs USB adapter. The same adapter runs at 150 mbs when connected to my main router which is an ESR-9850 running factory firmware.

Edit: Changed Wireless to N Only, Turbo and Channel 7 and am now running at 150 mbs. Neat. Still no Wireless Led.

So far everything else that I have tried is looking good.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
regarding the wireless led. consider that i dont have this device. so this port is mainly just a pure guess. for client mode, just set wireless mode to client and do not forget to set wan connection type to dhcp, since the wireless device becomes the wan interface in client mode. default might be disabled, so client mode dont work. consider that the lan ip is also not conflicting with the wan ap which gets assigned. so if your main ap has 192.168.2.1, set your lan ip on your client device to 192.168.3.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I did not mean to sound critical. That was not my intent. You guessed pretty good not having a unit to test on. Laughing

I will work with Client and Client Bridged shortly and see how those go.

I under stand what you said about Client, DHCP on the WAN and LAN to a separate subnet.

Does Client Bridged allow the LAN subnet to be the same as the main router, say 192.168.1.1 on main router and the DIR-601 LAN would be 192.168.1.2 with the main router's DHCP server assigning IP addresses to the clients on the DIR-601?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
in client bridge mode that would be possible. but consider that this will never be a real bridge. real bridging works only with WDS AP and WDS STA mode. the client bridge, just simulates a bridge and this will cost performance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, thanks for the information on Client Bridge.

FYI, Client worked just fine when set up as you described, WAN set to DHCP, LAN set to different subnet from my main router.

My reason for a bridge mode is using the DIR-601 as a wireless adapter to stream Netflix or DLNA server files to my Samsung Blu-Ray player that only has an ethernet jack, no wireless.

Client Mode is fine for Netflix or other Internet services but to see a DLNA server on my network would require the DIR-601 (to my knowledge) to be in the same subnet as my main router.

I will keep playing with the unit to see what can be made to work.

Thanks for all the effort you put into DD-WRT.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
for real broadcast support which is required for dlna, use a second dd-wrt atheros based device in wds ap mode and use wds sta mode on the second device. keep wan connection disabled on both devices and assign correct lan ip's within the same subnet. this should work then

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brian, thanks for the work on the DIR-601 build. My router is much more usable now with DD-WRT.

I have one lingering issue that has caused me to revert back to the factory firmware.

Every day with intense traffic, the wireless driver takes a dump and the only way to revive it is it ssh in and bring ath0 down then back up.

The symptoms are identical to these other posts with a different model router:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=505107

and

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=510727

(short version: /var/log/messages gets a continued 'Resetting; Code: 01' after an initial 'Sending cwmmode action frame to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff' )

I'm using the images that you supplied in this thread. Are the ones on the main website newer than this (development builds)?

Maybe there's something else I'm missing (I've even searched Google's cache archive of the DD-WRT Bugtracker and found a few things in there I've tried. Txpower changes and some other settings that I didn't quite understand)

I'm currently learning about cron in order to make a script to bring the interface up and down automatically.

Thanks again for all your work!
W.I.C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for the DIR-601 images BrainSlayer.

Besides the WiFi led not working, I've only noticed one more issue. The firewall log in the web interface is always empty.

The Rejected/Dropped/Accepted packet info are visible via dmesg, however they are not listed via the web interface.

Here is an example of a logged dropped packet which is visible via dmesg:

Code:
<4>[  950.980000] DROP IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=72.xx.xx.xx DST=69.xx.xx.x LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=59 ID=64764 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=62194 SEQ=3046808376 ACK=3016111315 WINDOW=220 RES=0x00 ACK FIN URGP=0

Any idea if you would be able to fix this issue in your spare time?

edit: one more issue. The 'netstat' command appears to be missing from this image.

Thanks again for the image!
shiekh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still

* The panel lights don't seem to work so well (Wi-Fi light does not work and WAN light does not flash)

* DD-WRT reports a 350MHz processor
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link
claims 400MHz

Still, it is very nice to run dd-wrt on this machine, hopefully the LED issue is solved soon.
BlaSTiWi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the difference between the 2 images:
    dir601a1-firmware.bin
    dir601a1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin
Tkx!

BrainSlayer wrote:
here the 601 images

-D-Link DIR-601 A1 @ BS build 16785
bail_w
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about the Tx Power setting doesn't seem to be working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: