Settings for speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
xs11e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 23:03    Post subject: Settings for speed? Reply with quote
I don't think this is specific to my router but if so, will the mods please move it to the correct forum? Thanks.

I flashed my Asus RT-N10+ B1 to dd wrt and upgraded to the latest flash.

Prior to flashing I ran a speed test on Ookla and got 53.5 down and 69.54 up, after flashing the same router, same Ookla test site, same browser showed 22.9 down and 37.19 up.

Note: each test was repeated several times, the speed always remained about the same.

I'm pretty sure I've set something wrong during the setup but whatever it is I can't find it, help please?

TIA
Sponsor
xs11e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did reset, any other ideas before I flash back to Asus firmware?
xs11e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checked speed on my old D-Link, it's twice as fast as the Asus with stock firmware and 4 times faster than the Asus with dd wrt.

Solution: Keep D-Link, scrap Asus and dd wrt.

Sorry it didn't work out, I got the Asus specifically to run dd wrt, in the past it's worked well for me. Oh, well, you win some, lose some and some get rained out.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Asus appears to have Ralink hardware. Might be worth asking in the Ralink forum before doing anything rash.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are you paying for from your isp?
The Asus has a 320mhz cpu. You aren’t going to get much from it with dd-wrt. Considering you said you get about 53Mbps download on the Asus and twice that on the d-link with stock firmware, I’m assuming you pay for 100Mbps? Is so you aren’t going to get that with the Asus on dd-wrt.
People think dd-wrt gives them an increase in speed. It’s the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
What are you paying for from your isp? People think dd-wrt gives them an increase in speed. It’s the other way around.

I'm not paying for my ISP, it's included in the rent here and no other ISP is allowed (long story, you don't want to hear it, trust me!) The speed is slow, slow, slow. Before I moved I had Cox cable and the best I've ever measured here is less than 1/4 of the speed I had with Cox.

What I wanted from dd-wrt was more configurability and possibly better security. My D-Link DIR 813 has no dd-wrt so I thought I'd play with the Asus, it was $15 so I didn't lose much.

NOTE: I'm no fan of the D-Link's interface but it seems to be every bit as configurable as dd-wrt, at least for the things I need.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still doesn’t answer the question of what the download speed is that you are supposed to get.
I don’t care who pays for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Still doesn’t answer the question of what the download speed is that you are supposed to get.

I don't know nor can I find out. Internet services are provided by an outfit called Exordium Networks who provide partial phone service, partial Direct TV and partial internet services. Little information is provided nor can we contact them except through the front office.

Unfortunately, Exordium Networks provides their (non)services to many assisted living facilities and the inmates... oops, residents have no say over any of it.

The good is that Exordium Networks also provides regular and emergency communications among staff and care-givers and they do that part well.
rugdoctor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13    Post subject: No one cares about your assisted living arrangement Reply with quote
xs11e wrote:
Malachi wrote:

I don't know nor can I find out.

FTFY!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: