Got my Asus RT-N16.. now what???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sharkyenergy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:49    Post subject: Got my Asus RT-N16.. now what??? Reply with quote
Hi guys!

I've got my new Asus RT-N16 and wanted to flash it with the dd-wrt firmware. but i soon found out that its not as simple as download and install..

while its more or less clear how to install it, there are still a lot of open points in my mind that need clarification and every search i made brings either informations for other products or tons of text in pretty long pages that take me hours to read. (I've already read some)

what i would like to have: wake on lan, torrent client, external harddrive shared via samba, possibility to unplug it and plug it into a Windows machine for faster file transfers (ntfs partition), have it set up ain a way that allows me in future to play with it and test new things..

1) what is the best version/release to install on this specific router?
2) what should i do to get the requested features listed above?
3) what is "Optware"?

Thanks

best regards

Igor
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
start by studying this thread. wealth of information

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88118&start=210

as to your specific questions-if you need NTFS support, you need the Big Build. If your hard drive is less than 2 TB, a 2.6 kernel version will work, greater than 2 TB needs a 3.x Kernel version.

I don;t know anything about torrent client or wake on Lan as I haven;t used either.

Optware is some extra services/software packages that loads via USB drive. It;s only supported up to a certain build numbers. This thread has the info you need.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=156013&start=855

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
sharkyenergy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer!

few question are still open in my mind tough:

1) Wiki shows old versions for this router, compiled over 3 years ago, and says that i should only use k2.6 version but i have seen some using k3.0... how come?
2) does the file need to be built for this secific router or are they all the same? (beside from mods obviously)
3) the download area shows only old files.. how can i find the newest proper build to install? is there any page that lists them in an ordered way without looking post per post through the forum to find a new version?
4) what is the best version to install for this router?
5) whats the difference between mods?

Thanks!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
the wiki is out of date and nobody has the time or motivation to update it. the most up to date info is in these forums.

for the most part, the Asus RT-N16 is the most basic and plain router out there so it uses a regular broadcom builds(2.6 and above only). however to initially go from the asus firmware to DD-WRT, you need to flash the TRX version of the mini build as stated in the Wiki. After you get DD-WRT on there, you can flash the BIN version from now on. Also to go to the 3.x version, us RT-N16 users had to go through a procedure.

This question gets asked so much I put the answer in my signature.

The best version is the one that suits your needs. as you can see in my signature, I stated which versions I have on my routers.

another question that gets asked too much that somebody made a wiki for it
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: