Encore ENHWI-G3: is it compatible? (Atheros 2317, 64mb ram)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
elias.alberto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:28    Post subject: Encore ENHWI-G3: is it compatible? (Atheros 2317, 64mb ram) Reply with quote
I believe I am posting this on the right place, but if I am not, I would like if a admin could move my topic to the right place.

I have a wireless router named Encore ENHWI-G3. As usual, 4 LAN + 1 WAN, 802.11b/g, setup via browser, etc. I looked for Encore on compatibility list, but surprisingly found absolutely no Encore model on compatibility list, neither on black list. I found (few) people asking about other encore routers, but models different from mine, and provinding very little information about them. So, here I am, to provide some specific information on this router.

Looking inside my router, I saw the board labeled "WLG-2214 Rev:A1 21512WLG2214A1". I noticed four ICs with lots of connections:
- Atheros AR2317-AC1A (generates a lot of heat). I found no information about its frequency or flash memory. Via the dd-wrt wiki, I found it is a AR5007AP-G, as seen in http://web.archive.org/web/20070906160634/www.atheros.com/pt/AR5007AP-G.htm
- Marvell 88e6060 (generates some heat), a 6-Port Fast Ethernet Switch chip. (yeah, http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices says "marvel chipset", but this looks like a secondary chip, not as a main chipset)
- HY57V641620ETP-H (generates little heat), which seems to be a 64mb dram from Hynix, according to http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/133687/HYNIX/HY57V641620ET.html
- Another chip I couldn't find any information about. Its package has a "MX" logo, and says:
X071724
25L 1605AMC-150
2U095100
Taiwan

FCC: NHPWLG2214
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

Well, this may be enough information for now. Would you experts tell me if this router would support a custom firmware, or if more information is needed? Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
64Mbit = 8MB RAM which is not enough for us
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, sorry, I didn't got the bit/byte detail. Thanks for pointing that out. Anyway, I thought the 8mb ram won't be a problem, as devices like WL520G (Broadcom5350), Belkin F5D7130 series (Broadcom4710) and others have only 8mb ram and are supported.

The bin file to the manufacturer's firmware update is sized 1mb, but I don't know if it "inflates" after being uploaded to the router. If it doesn't inflate, then probably the router flash ram is only 1mb, and it would make him fit the incompatibility criteria "it has <4MB flash and is Atheros or Ralink chipset based". :(

Is there anyway I can modify my hardware to make it compatible? Like changing the RAM chip, etc. (as long as I haven't seen any flash rom chip on the board, I can't say the flash capacity for sure, and I believe the flash mem isn't physically extendable/modifyable, as it is probably built into the Atheros chipset.)

If my router is absolutely incompatible, may I add it to the "known incompatible devices" list at http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices ?
Is there another list anywhere else I should add it to?
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Atheros Devices - for DD-WRT - have a minimum requirement:

4 MB Flash
16 MB Ram

Those are minimums for Atheros if you want to put DD-WRT on it.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
elias.alberto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for posting, DoesItMatter. I understand these limitations, but:
1 - I don't know how much flash is there on my router, since there isn't an external chip and I didn't found a clear specification about that on Atheros website. What I do know: the 'firmware.bin' is sized 1mb, but I have no idea if it inflates after being uploaded.
2 - I have some defective HDs lying around, and I think I could take a 16mb ram buffer from one of them and replace the 8mb ram on my router, but I don't even know if the Atheros chip would be able to read a ram memory bigger than 8mb.

You may say it is easier to buy a new router, but I'm considering doing this for the "i-tweaked-this-thing" pleasure. Smile But I don't even know if the effort would be worth it, as a specific compilation of dd-wrt may be necessary.

Edit: taking a more careful look at the fcc test report (page 6), I found some equivalent models from other brands:

Cameo WLG-2214
Planet WRT-415
X-net RBW54
Atlantisland A02-RB-W54
Trendnet TEW-432BRP
Linktek ET-WNB-0407R
Airlive WL-1500R
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 4MB for Flash and 16MB for RAM is actually
set by Brainslayer and Sash.

This has been mentioned in quite a few posts.

Something about the Atheros code and the way it needs to load.

Broadcoms can actually run on 2MB flash/8Mb ram - but barely and with micro builds.

Atheros chipsets don't have such thing as a micro and Brainslayer
will not be compiling one anytime soon.

You could try and compile one yourself, but I don't think its possible.

Even OpenWRT is over 2MB - so requires 4MB of flash to even install.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
elias.alberto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, so it seems to be almost impossible to run anything but the original firmware in my cheap old router. Maybe on the vacations, with enough time, I may get the source codes and compile a specific ultra micro version for Atheros all-in-one chipset.

For now, I may have a little fun buying a new router capable of running dd-wrt at stock settings. Cool I will check the compatibility list.

DoesItMatter and Sash, thanks for the help provided. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: