Long distance wifi (2 miles)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
ursdbz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:12    Post subject: Long distance wifi (2 miles) Reply with quote
Hello,
I want to set this up, please help. GOAL is 2 miles (possible 3).
DIAGRAM below

Please make adjustment to this if this is complicated.

A is in AP mode or in chain router mode.
B is in client mode. (I don't want to use repeater because I want the SSID1 to be for bridging the 2 ends together)
C is in router mode with SSID2 wpa with timer for security.
SSID1 must be hidden and secure.

Untitled.JPG
 Description:
REV.2 Updated hardware will be used.
 Filesize:  35.52 KB
 Viewed:  16228 Time(s)

Untitled.JPG

Untitled.JPG
 Description:
REV.1 initial setup
 Filesize:  34.61 KB
 Viewed:  16337 Time(s)

Untitled.JPG

Last edited by ursdbz on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:20; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You likely don't need amps. You do need line of sight between the antennas.

Read the "catfish" thread. It's all about antennas....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yagi antennas are good, but personally I like the looks (and function) of a bi-quad dish antenna.

Link here.

The team that built this were picking up APs from over 8 miles away. At 2.4GHz, that's impressive, even with a moderate amp.

With directional antennas and proper work, 2 miles should be easy. Keep up the good work, and remember that when building your own antenna, you're starting cheap as it is, no reason to cut corners...that'll only cut your gain.

Edit:

Just to make things easier, I would use the same (or similar) routers on either side of the wireless link. Should make troubleshooting and tuning a bit simpler.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

ursdbz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will get 2 biquad of ebay for about 27 each. My question is, the WRT54G(x) has 2 antenna, do I need 2 antenna on each end? Or i set the Tx and RX to Left or Right Ant and ignore the other none use antenna port? Or is it better to get 2 cheap WRTable router with 1 antenna. ATM, I only have 1 WRT54GS v4 and it is a spare. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ursdbz wrote:
I will get 2 biquad of ebay for about 27 each. My question is, the WRT54G(x) has 2 antenna, do I need 2 antenna on each end? Or i set the Tx and RX to Left or Right Ant and ignore the other none use antenna port? Or is it better to get 2 cheap WRTable router with 1 antenna. ATM, I only have 1 WRT54GS v4 and it is a spare. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

You are on GeeTek's turf. Don't buy anything till he chimes in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turf wars?
Laughing

You don't need, or likely want, two directional antennas at each end. Keep the stock antenna, set the antenna choice to auto, put a directional on the other, and it will work. If you have no wireless clients to the router, put both tx and rx to the directional antenna. Seems that sometimes this is right and sometimes it is left, depending on the router model. A quick test will tell you for sure, for your model of router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Turf wars?
Laughing

Sorry bro... Didn't know long distance wifi was on your resume..

What is this I hear you are cheating on Barryware? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the inputs. Next, what are the cheapest DD-WRTable router on the market? I dont need much, WPA2 for the 2 end points. And 1 for the local router. I guess i will wait for a sale or something.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like WRT54GL. Smile
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I like WRT54GL. Smile

If you are going to change antenna's, I agree. The GL has removable antenna's and are still produced. You can get a new one.

If you want some "bling" get a TM. Same removable antenna's & 8mb flash, 32 ram and if you look around, you may still find a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
x3....but WATCH for the removable antennas.....I don't think any of the WRT54g or GS models past v.5 had them. Except GL and TM...
phantom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is available in the US once again via newegg. It is a few bucks more expensive than the WRT54GL, but the Buffalo may provide an additional edge with the built in amp and receive sensitivity.

Just a thought.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
phantom wrote:
The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is available in the US once again via newegg.

2nd the recommendation for the HP. Very well worth the few extra $$

For antennas I would use a directional on each end. If you are in a high noise area then get the 24 dB grids to keep the beam width narrow. Otherwise 19 or 14 dB antennas would be fine with the HP radio at 2 miles. I wish you would post your network diagram here instead of on boto phucket. I don't click any external links, and the thumbnail is hard to see.
Shocked
ursdbz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
phantom wrote:
The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is available in the US once again via newegg.

2nd the recommendation for the HP. Very well worth the few extra $$

For antennas I would use a directional on each end. If you are in a high noise area then get the 24 dB grids to keep the beam width narrow. Otherwise 19 or 14 dB antennas would be fine with the HP radio at 2 miles. I wish you would post your network diagram here instead of on boto phucket. I don't click any external links, and the thumbnail is hard to see.
Shocked

I am looking for $30 a piece. while others are too pricy because i m giving these hardware away and the dsl is from a company 2 miles away. all this setup is free.
And how do you post picture on w/o extenal link.
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah

I am using Ekos 12548 and I have been unable to get WPA2 working in client mode. I had to go back to oldschool WPA for the router in client mode to connect.

Just a heads up in case you run into trouble there.

regards

tec

1x Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in Reserve (still looking for that on ebay)

all units running DD-WRT v3.0-r44187 std
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: