WRT310N V2 - Quick Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Steve.L
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 15:29    Post subject: WRT310N V2 - Quick Question Reply with quote
Hey all,

I just recently purchased a Linksys WRT310N as a replacement to my crappy array of D-Link routers, and so far I must say it's a pretty nice router, other than the heat issues, but that's not really a big deal.

Anyways, I was looking to load up DD-WRT as soon as I heard about it (being a geek and all...), so being a complete n00b to the firmware world, I just up and tried to throw on DD-WRT over the wireless connection without reading anything. As you can imagine, that really worked out well! None of the LEDs would light up at all, it was quite a shock. After a couple hours of reading through various posts (especially the Peacock Thread), I loaded the default firmware back onto my router without bricking it, phew!

So now I'm a bit more knowledgeable in the topic of throwing on new firmware, via the hard way. So on to my question...

I have version 2 (v2) of the WRT310N... And as far as I can tell, it is not officially supported (as far as I know, a BCM4716 port is being worked on, or will eventually be worked on). My question is, has anyone had any success, or know of any method, to get DD-WRT on the v2 version of this router? I don't want to risk bricking the thing again, after all, it did cost almost 100 bucks.

The firmware "upgrade" isn't really essential, I've just never done it before and thought it would be interesting to explore and learn from.

Sorry for the long post, it's my first one here, had to make it interesting. ;)

Cheers.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it is supported, and might not be ever depending on the chipset...don't know that...BUT..

DON'T try to load dd-wrt onto that router until it IS supported. It won't work and you will wreck the router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Steve.L
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I don't think it is supported, and might not be ever depending on the chipset...don't know that...BUT..

DON'T try to load dd-wrt onto that router until it IS supported. It won't work and you will wreck the router.

You sound very sure of yourself there, mate. BTW I already did try to load it on, if you read my post.

I've seen posts where people have claimed to have it working on v2 of the router. Just looking to see if anyone can confirm this, really.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steve.L wrote:
You sound very sure of yourself there, mate. BTW I already did try to load it on, if you read my post.

I've seen a lot of bad things happen when people do what you did....and sometimes my response is for the people who come along later and read your post....they might not be as lucky as you were. Wink

So...WAIT until you see that there is support for your router. Most people don't realize how complex getting support is, and that you can't simply load firmware on that is for a similar router, or even one with the same hardware.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Steve.L
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course. Thanks for the more intelligent response. :D

Oh well I suppose I can wait. I'll do some more looking into it for now, and try to contact those people who have claimed to have it running fine on v2.

Cool
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I take it you have read this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=55823

Schrodinger's Cat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I apologize if this is off-topic, already explained, hidden somewhere in the thread you linked to, or any combination of those three.

Is there a way for me to create a custom mod compatible with the wrt310n v2 by merging source code from dd-wrt firmwares designed for similar routers and dd-wrt firmwares designed for the same type of chipset without opening my wrt310n v2 and attempting to solder a jtag connector to it?

PS: I also have a wrt160n v3 that i have no problems with opening up and torturing.

RT-N16 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929
WL-520GU - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini-usb-ftp - build 14929
WL-520GU - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-usb - build 14205M NEWD Eko * 2
WRT-160Nv3 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-small - build 14205M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko
WRT-310Nv2 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-nokaid-small - build 14929
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Most people don't realize how complex getting support is, and that you can't simply load firmware on that is for a similar router, or even one with the same hardware.

@the dead/alive cat: Firmware mod will NOT change this fact. Getting a router supported requires router coding expertise. You would like not only need jtag info, but serial info as well...and know what it means, and....

Schrodinger's Cat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
@the dead/alive cat: Firmware mod will NOT change this fact. Getting a router supported requires router coding expertise. You would like not only need jtag info, but serial info as well...and know what it means, and....

Sorry...I forgot about that part.

With my lack of experience in router hardware, I'll probably have a better chance of building a time machine to prevent myself from accidentally buying the wrt310nv2.

PS: Is there a support forum for people having trouble coping with the fact that their routers are currently limited to either being a brick or running linksys default firmware?

RT-N16 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929
WL-520GU - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini-usb-ftp - build 14929
WL-520GU - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-usb - build 14205M NEWD Eko * 2
WRT-160Nv3 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-small - build 14205M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko
WRT-310Nv2 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-nokaid-small - build 14929
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: