How should I configure 2 x WRT310N on one SSID?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jmone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 21:43    Post subject: How should I configure 2 x WRT310N on one SSID? Reply with quote
I've two WRT310N with Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) std (build 12533) covering both parts of the house. Currently configured as:
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (I've some B / G and N Adapters)
Wireless Network Name: Same SSID for both

1) Any suggestions on what I should set for Wireless Channel / Channel Width / Wide Channel. I've tried a few (including Auto) but I'm not convinced I know what I'm doing Very Happy !

2) Also can I set a "preference" (not an exclusion) for some client adapters (Win7 PC's) to use one AP even if the other one has a stronger signal (eg preference to use the AP connected to the INet as it is quicker than the one over the Powerline bridge)?

Any suggestion of settings for the NW would be appreciated (ps - current Home NW Setup attached)

Thanks
Nathan

HomeNW.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.58 KB
 Viewed:  4186 Time(s)

HomeNW.png

Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wired together or wireless. For wired together you want wireless access points on different channels. For wireless connection of the routers, you want WDS. Both are in the wiki under linking routers.

You won't get N speeds if you have g clients so set the channel to auto.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jmone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks - i've read the Wiki and while I did get the Repeater Bridge mode going, I did not like the drop in speed so the are currently "Wired" together but only using the Powerline Adapters (so not a heap of Bandwidth).

One reason for the Post was when I set both AP to "Auto" they end up using the same channel which the wiki advises against - so I currently have them as follows but..??? if this is is "good":
AP#1
* Wireless Channel: 11 (Status-->Wireless shows 11+9)
* Channel Width: 40
* Wide Channel: lower

AP#2
* Wireless Channel: 5 (Status-->Wireless shows 5+3)
* Channel Width: 40
* Wide Channel: lower

The other reason was to ask if there was anyway of setting an affinity to have a device prefer to use AP#1?

Thanks
Nathan
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
No proper method for managing affinity that I can think of....

Using MAC filters might do as a work-around.

As for selecting channels, using unique non-overlapping channels is the best approach.

WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: