intel 5100 + linksys WRT54GL issues ["solved"]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jalvarez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:13    Post subject: intel 5100 + linksys WRT54GL issues ["solved"] Reply with quote
I just bought a new notebook (Toshiba Satellite A305 - 6926C - Vista Home Premium 64 bit) which has an intel 5100 agn wifi card. My venerable WRT54GL has SVN 11296 installed and is working fine (I have another notebook).

My problem is that my brand new laptop drops the connection after a while (5 - 10 minutes). This has never happened to me before. Googling about the card, it seems to have some problems with linksys routers, but I don't know if this apoplies to dd-wrt as well.

From the release notes of wifi driver (version 12.4.0.21.1):
"Linksys* Access Point Association Timeout
After the association flow completes, the adapter stays awake (as in CAM mode) for 10 seconds, and then acts according to the PowerIndex (PI) regkey. PI should not be change during this period. The association timeout is 10 seconds. Using the Linksys access point, association occurs every 60 seconds, resulting in deauthentication and disconnection from the Linkysys access point. "

Can anybody help me?

Jaime

Last edited by jalvarez on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:31; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it intel proset? If so it, is a problem. Do a search on "proset" on the forum.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jalvarez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Murrkf. My other laptop uses Proset + an intel 4965AG wifi card without issues. Anyway I'll give it a try when I get back home. How do I let windows manage the connection in Vista? I know it looks like a dumb question, but I'm new to Vista and I find it really weird...

In the meantime, any other suggestions so I can have a lot of fun in the afternoon?

Jaime
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issue with Intel 5300 and Linksys WRT610N but the interval between disconnections is random, sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days.

I have 12.4.3.9 Vista driver for my Win7 x64. Also did you try transferring large files? When I do that, the connection drops.

With Vista x64, the disconnection randomly happens but the transferring large files problems doesn't happen.

So I bet this is an issue with the Intel drivers and Linksys, I don't know.

I have the "drivers-only" package and am using the Windows connection utility to connect to my network.

Actually, this happens only when I'm connected with draft-N speeds, with G speeds it works flawlessly.

I really hate this problem!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalvarez wrote:
How do I let windows manage the connection in Vista? I know it looks like a dumb question, but I'm new to Vista and I find it really weird...

I don't know....There are OSs and then there of P-OSs (Pieces of Shite)...vista is in the P-OS and I have never used it. I rarely use windows at all. I do know that some found disabling ipv6 to be helpful with vista, sometimes.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jalvarez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running out of ideas... Has anybody run into this before?
slimey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalvarez wrote:
I'm running out of ideas... Has anybody run into this before?

yes, with 4965agn cards connecting to atheros ap's... it's my guess the intel wifi cards just suck lately Neutral
jalvarez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it seems that I'll be returning the laptop this weekend. A lot of wasted time though (updating drivers, vista SP2, etc...)

Any magical suggestion before I quit and start over with another new laptop?

Regards,

Jaime
jalvarez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Solved" because I returned the notebook and got one with an Atheros wifi card that works fine.

Thanks anyway!

Jaime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: