WRT320N Flash Sequence Clarification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:33    Post subject: WRT320N Flash Sequence Clarification Reply with quote
I am looking to flash my WRT320N, with its native v1.0.0.3 firmware currently installed, to DD-WRT. I have poured over the wiki, peacock, forums, etc. for a couple days now and I am a little unclear on a couple things, maybe I am reading into it a little too much, and just wanted to make sure I had everything and possibly answer a couple confusions I have before I accidentily brick the thing. So this is how I under stand it.

1) Hard reboot:
-Under http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT320N_v1.0 it goes over this with, from what I under stand, two options (also want to clarify that these are options and both aren't required) There is also a third option I read was working for some in the forum:
a) Open the thing up and do the pin short.
b) Open a serial console session (putty or hyper terminal) type "erase nvram" "reboot" "flash -ctheader : flash1.trx". Can I use the routers standard GUI to run the flash update after this or do I have to use the tftp transfer to flash at this point?
c) Reset to factory defaults via the Linksys GUI administration option "Restore Factory Defaults" or something like that.

2) Flash the tempermental router with the my new DD-WRT mini firmware (dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin)

3) Hard reboot.
-Just wanted to double check that the 30-30-30 still doesn't work at this point. Will the WPS button for 10-12 seconds on power up work or do I have to do another serial console session or pin short?

4) Flash with standard non trailed build (dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin???)

5) Hard reboot. (see #3)

I am just trying to get two routers to bridge and the Linksys WRT320N doesn't seem to like to play with my other TP-Link router when the TP-Link is set to up as a bridge. I planned on using the TP-Link as my primary and set the Linksys as the bridge with the DD-WRT firmware settings since the Linksys needs constant power cycling and the TP-Link seems to have a better signal...and I love customizing my stuff.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) download trailed build mini with the WRT320N name in it, from the linksys firmware on the wrt320N reset to defaults.

2) once reset to defaults, ip for router should be 192.168.1.1 that being said, set your pc to a static ip of 192.168.1.6

3) log back into linksys firmware webgui, go to upgrade and select the trailed 13493 k2.6 mini that you downloaded.

4) wait about 5 minutes to make sure everything took, then reaccess webgui at 192.168.1.1, by this point it should be in dd-wrt webgui asking for user/pass, set a temporary one, once you have set it log out of the browser.

5) unplug router, push and hold the WPS button on the front of the unit, while button still being held, plug the unit back in and continue holding button for 10-12 seconds, release

6) everything should then again be in defaults, access webgui once again at 192.168.1.1, it should ask you to set a user/pass, do so then begin your setup and enjoy dd-wrt

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so technically I don't have to do the serial console session or the pin short to erase the nvram file and restore the router back to the original factory defaults? Just use the original Linksys GUI to reset it then do a reboot and start flashing with DD-WRT?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct, i flashed from reset to defaults from linksys gui and then to dd-wrt

Also i am working on cleaning up the wiki page for the WRT320N, it is very, how shall we say...cluttered! To many links and to much not needed info, see just how the first few lines in it threw you off? must clean!

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is what I was going to recommend.

Thanks for your help. I will be flashing the Linksys tonight and try to get my bridge up and going. I will try to remember to report back.

Would the "dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin" firmware work fine after the initial flashing or should I use the "dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp.bin"?

Is the 14853 build stable or might I want to stick with the 13493 build?

Thanks again.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
gdean wrote:

Would the "dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin" firmware work fine after the initial flashing or should I use the "dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp.bin"?

Is the 14853 build stable or might I want to stick with the 13493 build?

Thanks again.

I used 14853 with no problems, i actually only upgraded it because i converted my WRT320N into an E2000 so i had to use a different build.

Far as Big or STD is really your choice, big has more features of course, but if you don't need all of the extras, std will work fine, matter fact before the conversion to an E2000 i used std-nokaid-small and it worked fine because i had no need for kai gaming network.

gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds good. I think I am going to try the v24-14853 build of the std_nokaid_small.bin unless it doesn't have the bridging option. I really only need basic access and WPA2 security.

Is there a page that I can go to compare the different versions of the firmware? After trotting all over your site I don't recall seeing anything of that nature...but then again they are all begining to blend together.
gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like a dream...Flashed perfectly with the mini then I installed the small.

Did have a little issue with getting the unit to bridge but I just started over from the beginning and followed the instructions exactly and it too works like a dream.

I am actually half way tempted to look into the compatibility of my main router with DD-WRT and possibly flash it too. We will see how stable the main router ends up. I have only had it for about a week.

Thanks again for all your help.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
gdean wrote:
Like a dream...Flashed perfectly with the mini then I installed the small.

Did have a little issue with getting the unit to bridge but I just started over from the beginning and followed the instructions exactly and it too works like a dream.

I am actually half way tempted to look into the compatibility of my main router with DD-WRT and possibly flash it too. We will see how stable the main router ends up. I have only had it for about a week.

Thanks again for all your help.

Also when you get well versed in this, you can check my post on how to convert your WRT320N into an E2000 Smile

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not that it matters now, because you already have dd-wrt on your unit, i did however clean up the wiki some to avoid confusion with this model.

gdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am only new to this type of cusomization. I build PC's and fix all the ones at work as well as my friends so I am sure I could have figured it out in the end but the next person looking to do this might not be so computer inclined.

I think I would be able to follow the instructions now, after reading the peacock, etc., without having any questions.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: