Two routers, best configuration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jtp10181
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:57    Post subject: Two routers, best configuration? Reply with quote
Ok... so I have a new internet package and I have a 2Wire gateway which pretty much HAS to be used as the main internet gateway.

I also have my WRT54GL (DD-WRT) which I like and want to continue using to manage my home network.

Currently I have the 2Wire setup for the WRT54GL to be in "DMZPlus" mode. The WRT54GL gets the same external WAN IP and the 2Wire and basically would not even know this other subnet exists. I have the 2Wire on 192.168.1.x and the WRT on 192.168.2.x

My one problem is that if someone connects to the 2Wire wireless, we cannot use the windows "My network places" to easily share files. If I manually use the IP address I can find the file shares.

I was playing with configuration settings on the WRT trying to make it router mode with DHCP set to forward and I disabled DMZPlus. In the end I usually can;t get to outside web pages. Seems the current setup is all that works.

I know this is a minor problem but it really bugs me. Am I missing something or do I have it setup in the best way already?

BTW I have a AS degree in computer networking which I got about 5 years ago. So I mostly know what I am doing but I never got a job in the IT field so I am a little rusty with some things.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsor
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, just disable the wifi in your main AP 2Wire, link your WRT by wire from the 2Wire LAN switch into your WRT WAN port.

Encrypt with WPA / WPA2 your WRT and the workstations, and no more issues.

Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
jtp10181
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
But sometimes you can get a better signal on the 2Wire so I would like to leave it enabled.

The WRT is already wired from its WAN port to the 2Wire.

I was messing around some more, and I guess if connected to the 2Wire you cannot access the subnet on the WRT at all. The 2Wire has no way to make static routes either.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtp10181 wrote:
But sometimes you can get a better signal on the 2Wire so I would like to leave it enabled.

The WRT is already wired from its WAN port to the 2Wire.

I was messing around some more, and I guess if connected to the 2Wire you cannot access the subnet on the WRT at all. The 2Wire has no way to make static routes either.

You need to put the WRT in access point mode. WIKI has a tutorial.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
jtp10181
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I think that's what you were referring to. The purpose of the Wiki entry is not what my intentions are, but I think it will achieve the correct results.

Really I justed want to have the power of my DD-WRT router to manage traffic, but still be able to be on the same "network" as anything connected to the 2Wire gateway.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtp10181 wrote:
Really I justed want to have the power of my DD-WRT router to manage traffic, but still be able to be on the same "network" as anything connected to the 2Wire gateway.

That would be nice but there are no modes that will impose QOS unless you also do NAT.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: