QoS for non-specified devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ryun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:44    Post subject: QoS for non-specified devices? Reply with quote
I own a Buffalo WZR-300HP that comes with Buffalo's own version of DD-WRT as stock [DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/09/12) std (SVN revision 19438)].

Anyway, I'm having a slight issue with the QoS settings. They appear to work correctly for devices I've specified (via network addressing). However, for every other device that isn't specified the router seems to give preferential treatment to specified devices -- even if that device's priority is set to "Standard". By preferential treatment, I mean that, while running speed test, the non-specified device's bandwidth tanks. On my 6Mbps connection I'm seeing .59Mbps when a specified device is running speed test at the same time.

I've tried a factory restore and that doesn't seem to help. I read the wiki on the subject here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

It seems to indicate that everything else will be set to "Standard" if it's not explicitly set.

Am I missing something?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are running a build over 2 years old, update..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as i know it's a normal behavior of the qos-implementation.

With defining a port, mac, ip or service you'll guarantee the defined class (bandwidth) of service. If a client is not defined (not known) for qos, there won't be any guaranteed for this undefined (unknown) client.
ryun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not able to update the firmware unfortunately, not from Buffalo's site anyway. I do understand that I could upgrade to the official DD-WRT version. I'm just not sure it would be worth it if this behavior is normal.

Given mittelhessen's post, it looks like this is expected which is unfortunate but I might have a workaround. I'll post later if it works.
ryun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone double check my logic here? My "fix" appears to be working but I would appreciate a double check to make sure there are no consequences.

Here's a screen shot of my QoS settings: http://imgur.com/j5isekW

0.0.0.0/0 should be applied to all devices (which I've set to "Standard"). However, since 0.0.0.0/0 appears at the bottom of the table the rule will not apply to devices with matching rules above it (which I've observed in my tests). Devices without a rule are sharing the bandwidth as expected under the "Standard" rule.

Quote:

Netmask - The IP address entries are applied in the order that they appear in your netmask table. Interestingly only the first match applies. For example if you have an entry marking 192.168.1.10/32 as bulk followed by an entry marking 192.168.1.0/24 (all 192.168.1 addresses) as premium the traffic from 192.168.1.10 would be marked bulk because it was the first match.

This is based on what I've read in the wiki here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Thoughts?
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not able to verify it, but i think your procedure sounds useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: