Bridging Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next
dbixler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 14:53    Post subject: Bridging Question Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this question has been answered before (probably has). I searched for answers in this forum with no luck.

I have a LAN in my home with a wireless router that connects to my ISP. My neighbor, across the street, has essentially the exact same setup. We both access the internet via the routers (FIOS). We would like to bridge our LANs such that they both appear on the same network. While I could probably make it work if only one of the routers connected to Verizon, I'm not sure how to handle it with both routers connected to the internet.

My question is fairly simple. Is this scenario covered by some technology found in the dd-wrt firmware? Should I just configure both routers with WDS? It doesn't seem like standard wireless bridging is the appropriate answer here.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
WDS will do it but you'll need to block DHCP from passing through the wireless and you'll have to make sure your addresses don't overlap.

#firewall script
insmod ebtables
iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport 67 -j DROP

dbixler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it possible to have both routers on the same subnet and just configure one of the routers for DHCP? Or would the other router not forward DHCP requests to the clients from the router running DHCP.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I gave you a method that works... If you want a single DHCP server you'll have to configure it to send a different gateway to each side of the network.
dbixler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I misunderstood your solution. So both routers would be running DHCP, but your script would cause each router to not forward any DHCP requests to the other router? Then, just set it up so that one DHCP server serves out addresses like .100 to .149 and the other one from .150 to .199 (for example)?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct. Also assign each router a different LAN IP.
dbixler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent, I will give that a try. Although I have limited understanding of how WDS really works, will wireless clients associate to the strongest AP (or do the APs determine how to service which client)? I'm just making sure that I'm not compounding one problem with another one. Maybe there's a good technical article somewhere that I can read to understand more of the technology. Most of what I've read has been not as technical as I'd like.
koolitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
OT: how can you block dhcp request from LAN?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
koolitz wrote:
OT: how can you block dhcp request from LAN?

Be more specific and describe exactly what you want to happen.

koolitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to access my modem, connected to my router, from my pc which is connected via wifi. nowhere's the crazy idea i did Very Happy my modem has 4 ports. one port is attached to the wan port of the router - this is the normal setup.... and i tried to attached another port to the lan port of the router so i could access my admin interface of my modem locally. And i did! but the problem is sometimes the router gets WAN ip address from itself and also my wireless clients sometimes gets ip address from the modem - lan dhcp is off from the modem but it gets ip from my provider. i hope you know what i mean. :-)

right now i just turn router's dhcp off and have my wifi clients have static ips but i hate this setup :D

all i want to do is to have an access to my modem admin interface. Cool
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you saying that you have 2 cables going to your modem from the router?
koolitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Are you saying that you have 2 cables going to your modem from the router?

sounds crazy but yes...one is attached from the WAN port and the other from LAN
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remove the LAN cable. It shouldn't be there, isn't needed, and is the source of the problems. You should be able to directly access the modem config page from behind the router.
koolitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Remove the LAN cable. It shouldn't be there, isn't needed, and is the source of the problems. You should be able to directly access the modem config page from behind the router.

please show me how... i removed the lan cable now and i cant access the modem config page anymore.
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
koolitz wrote:
i removed the lan cable now and i cant access the modem config page anymore.
It would be safest to turn everything off, then turn on in this order: modem, router, PC. This way, everything will get new DHCP leases from the right severs.

If that does not work, post your IP and gateway info for router LAN and WAN and modem LAN interfaces.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: