QOS limiting only works on WAN interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 14:10    Post subject: QOS limiting only works on WAN interface Reply with quote
Well I'll be darned. My router only acts as a traffic cop at the LAN/WAN intersection controlling traffic to and from the precious bandwidth of the WAN/internet.

That traffic cop could care less about what all the speed whizzes in the Gigabit LAN are up to as long as they keep it to themselves.

However, should some of those LAN packets make a move for the WAN side of the intersection he blows his whistle and makes sure they are not trying to all crowd into the WAN at the same time. He checks their permissions and sends them on in an orderly fashion.
No crashing the gates allowed under his watch.

Now some of you naysayers may exclaim that your computer has QOS and indeed most do. It's used as it's own little traffic cop at the network interface to make sure that all the various data packets in the computer exit it's interface in an orderly fashion as it proceeds into the wilds of the LAN.

My LAN switches are another story. My little 8 port switches are pretty mindless and just shuttle round the packets as they show up. My 20 port BUSINESS class Cisco switch has a QOS setup that will keep you up nights weeping into your beer mug. (I really think they put that in there as job security for the networking techs/engineers.) It has never been enabled and will most likely stay that way.

I don't even use QOS on my monster game machine as there is nothing else in the system that can keep up with it anyway.

Multiple Netflixes running, 5 game/surfing machines, 2 NASes, 4 SMart tv's, a bunch of wifi pixies flitting around and not a QOS in sight. My personal OCD does not extend to micromanaging every single bit of info on my LAN. YMMV

Dave

did I make you laugh?

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: