Rosewill RNX-Easy4N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Yorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also just got one of these for cheap. It would be cool to get DD-WRT working on it. Keep us updated if anybody gets it working.
Sponsor
caycarem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i bought 1 as well, very much hoping someone will port dd-wrt over.
shroomalistic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
any word on these yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just able to get this working. I hooked it up the serial flash way using this article has:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

I used the firmware for the ESR-9752. I had bricked the router originally so the serial flash was my only shot. Reading up on it, it looks like you can somehow encrypt the firmware to use the .knl files.

However, when flashing this firmware using the TFTP Serial Flash, I had to use IP range 192.168.99.2

The routers IP in bootloader mode was 192.168.99.9

Maybe try the normal TFTP flash (not the serial flash way), and use 192.168.99.* instead of what they say on that site (192.168.11.2)

I own a DLink DIR-655, and after using this cheap router I bought as a shell shocker on newegg, I think I might have to switch. I just got done with the flashing, so I'm gonna test it out a few days. So far though, it get's AMAZING rates, wireless N, 300mbps. I am amazed! I'll post again in a week and keep you updated.
bsanborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, after a few days of testing both, I'm gonna stick with my DLink DIR-655. Only because of the Gigabit. The wireless is about the same between the two. Transfer rates were pretty much identical over wireless N. Not bad considering the DLink DIR-655 is ~$100, and you can pick these Rosewill RNX-EasyN4's up for around $40.

I'm still curious if the TFTP over LAN will work (not the serial flash way I did). Let me know if anyones tries this.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you flash the firmware.bin file it should work. but if you dont post a serial log here about your flashing procedure and the boot log after flashing i cannot help. its also not possible to generate the encrypted firmware files. senao uses 2 files kernel and rootfs for upgrading the router. but dd-wrt is just a single file and the senao encrypted files are also size limited

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:26    Post subject: Anyone tried TFTP (non serial) Reply with quote
I'd love to get dd-wrt on my rnx-easyn4. I've done dd-wrt but not with tftp. I think I can do the tftp way but not the serial way (I don't have any solder or cable).

Would the normal tftp way work and has anyone tried it? Any pointers or things to watch out for?

Also someone mentioned, activation required for the esr-9752.... is this required for the rnx-easyn4???
hrmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've attempted to update my RNX-EasyN4 router using the normal tftp way but haven't been successful. I tried 192.168.99.2 but the router never downloaded the firmware.bin file based on the tftp server window. Anyone have any luck with the EasyN4?
mshneour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, fellow Rosewillians.

DD-WRT apparently can indeed be installed on a RNX-EasyN4, as reported above by "bsanborn." I can personally attest to the fact that utilizing TFTP via Ethernet for the initial DD-WRT flash will NOT work. Thus, I plan to proceed the serial flash route, as soon as I am able to clarify a few things.

What I am most unclear about is the pinout of the router board's serial header. It would appear that bsanborn has figured this issue out already, so perhaps he (she?) can help.

I have attached photos of the RNX-EasyN4 unit, and have numbered the serial header pins. Also highlighted just to the left of the serial header are tiny inscriptions printed in parallel with the serial block. They are, in order from top to bottom: RX, TX, GND and PWR. The order suggests that Pin 1 (at the top, as the photo was taken) is the RX pin, followed contiguously with Pin 2-TX, Pin 3-GND and Pin 4-PWR. (My understanding is that only the first three pins are required for the serial flash.) As the inscriptions are not directly aligned with the serial pins, though, I am not certain about the pinout.

Would anyone (including bsanborn) with knowledge about the serial header on the RNX-EasyN4 router board please reply with the correct pinout? To aid in communication, it would be most helpful if the pin function could be associated with the pin numbering I have put on the attached photo (ie: Pin 1-RX, and so forth).

Many thanks to all!

Mark

PS -- Can anyone verify if the firmware posted for the Senao ESR-9752 will run on the RNX-EasyN4, without any modification? I would think so, as the hardware is the same, however elsewhere on this forum, Brainslayer posted some custom builds for a Sitecom unit which also comprised the same hardware as the Senao ESR-9752.

PPS -- If the Senao ESR-9752 firmware is to be used, does anyone know if Brainslayer intends for users to pay for firmware activation if the firmware is used on the RNX-EasyN4? (The DD-WRT router database indicates that activation is required for the Senao ESR-9752. This is puzzling, as one would not generally consider this Senao unit to be a "professional" or "commercial" platform.)

* D-Link DIR-825 Rev B running D-Link 2.02NA stock FW
* D-Link DIR-655 Rev A4 running D-Link 1.32NA stock FW
* Rosewill RNX-EasyN4 (rebadge of Senao/Engenius ESR-9752) running DD-WRT Pre-SP2, Build 14311
mshneour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Bump -- A Second Request for Help Reply with quote
If I may ask my question above once more, can anyone provide me the correct pinout for the serial header on the RNX-EasyN4?

-----

Also, I am having trouble with the serial flashing procedure itself. Can anyone with experience with serial flashing provide me some guidance?

Using a pinout recommended by another poster to the DD-WRT forums (referencing my photos above -- Pin3=RX, Pin4=TX, Pin5=GND and Pin6=PWR), I have attempted to perform the serial flash in the following way.

I am using a 5V-3.3V USB-to-serial adapter made by FTDI Chip (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3-WE.htm), and connecting three cables to the serial header on the router motherboard: TX-to-RX, RX-to-TX and GND-GND. I have not connected the power pin, as was recommended in an excellent post on serial flashing of a Netgear router (http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/10341/Recover-Your-WGR614L-Using-a-Serial-Console-Windows/).

I connected the USB-to-serial cable, as mentioned above. (I used the driver auto-installed by Windows 7, as recommended by FTDI Chip.) I also connected an Ethernet cable between my computer and one of the router's LAN ports. I set my Ethernet network adapter to 192.168.99.2, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, and 192.168.99.9 for gateway and DNS. (The 192.168.99.9 address was stated by another DD-WRT poster to be the proper "bootloader" address for the Senao ESR-9752 and its brethren.

I then tried using several TFTP tools (TFTP2.exe, TFTP32.exe, Solar Winds TFTP server and Putty) to effect the serial flash of the DD-WRT firmware ("firmware.bin")for the Senao ESR-9752. I have not been able to receive a proper response from the router.

Am I doing something wrong? I should mention that I tried several other IP subnets (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) with no better luck. I am using a Windows 7 64-bit machine to do the flashing. I have heard that several of the more recent Windows releases may not allow enough time for the TFTP flash to be initiated after re-powering the router. I don't know whether or not this is true. Has anyone used Windows Vista or 7 for serial flashing? If these OS's are not optimal, can CYGWIN (or other Linux emulator) be used to perform the serial flash?

Assistance anyone may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

* Rosewill RNX-EasyN4 (rebadge of Senao/Engenius ESR-9752) running DD-WRT Pre-SP2, Build 14311
bsanborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tired everything, couldn't flash over LAN.

No activation required on mine when I flashed. I just flashed using the ESR-9752 firmware. Had to do the serial flash way using TFTP and Console (I used Putty for my console program).

I would love to help you mshneour, but I didn't solider my pins to my board. I have a good buddy that's an electrical engineer and he soldiered them on for me. I know the RX from your computer went to the TX on the board and visa versa. I only know this because he originally soldiered it, and when I hooked it up to the computer, it was giving me crazy outputs (just random characters and symbols). I asked him if he had any idea. So we switched where the RX and TX were hooked up (he originally had RX going to RX and TX going to TX) and it worked fine. He also only had 3 wires soldiered onto the board. As for which ones, I'm not sure. Obviously one was RX and one was TX, and I'm pretty sure the third was ground.

I have done two of these now, the second one I tried to flash over LAN and no luck. For both, I had to have my friend soldier the wires to the board and use TFTP. As for flashing after you get it hooked up to the board, it's pretty straight forward. Really hard to brick at this point too (I just kept trying different stuff till one finally worked). I think I did option 2 and I had to try it a couple times before it finally worked.

I'll e-mail my electrical engineering friend and see if he can help more with the pin-outs. Both these routers work so amazing with DD-WRT on them. I currently am not using either though. My electrical engineering buddy is using one, and I sold the other to a friend who was always having router problems. Both love the performance.
bsanborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 18:51    Post subject: Re: Bump -- A Second Request for Help Reply with quote
mshneour wrote:
If I may ask my question above once more, can anyone provide me the correct pinout for the serial header on the RNX-EasyN4?

-----

Also, I am having trouble with the serial flashing procedure itself. Can anyone with experience with serial flashing provide me some guidance?

Using a pinout recommended by another poster to the DD-WRT forums (referencing my photos above -- Pin3=RX, Pin4=TX, Pin5=GND and Pin6=PWR), I have attempted to perform the serial flash in the following way.

I am using a 5V-3.3V USB-to-serial adapter made by FTDI Chip (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3-WE.htm), and connecting three cables to the serial header on the router motherboard: TX-to-RX, RX-to-TX and GND-GND. I have not connected the power pin, as was recommended in an excellent post on serial flashing of a Netgear router (http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/10341/Recover-Your-WGR614L-Using-a-Serial-Console-Windows/).

I connected the USB-to-serial cable, as mentioned above. (I used the driver auto-installed by Windows 7, as recommended by FTDI Chip.) I also connected an Ethernet cable between my computer and one of the router's LAN ports. I set my Ethernet network adapter to 192.168.99.2, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, and 192.168.99.9 for gateway and DNS. (The 192.168.99.9 address was stated by another DD-WRT poster to be the proper "bootloader" address for the Senao ESR-9752 and its brethren.

I then tried using several TFTP tools (TFTP2.exe, TFTP32.exe, Solar Winds TFTP server and Putty) to effect the serial flash of the DD-WRT firmware ("firmware.bin")for the Senao ESR-9752. I have not been able to receive a proper response from the router.

Am I doing something wrong? I should mention that I tried several other IP subnets (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) with no better luck. I am using a Windows 7 64-bit machine to do the flashing. I have heard that several of the more recent Windows releases may not allow enough time for the TFTP flash to be initiated after re-powering the router. I don't know whether or not this is true. Has anyone used Windows Vista or 7 for serial flashing? If these OS's are not optimal, can CYGWIN (or other Linux emulator) be used to perform the serial flash?

Assistance anyone may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like you got everything except console. Use Putty. I think I used PuttyTel. It usually asks for a web-address to connect to, but there's an option to change it to a COM port. Just change it to the COM port that your USB adapter is set to, and it will monitor all activity on that port. From there, you have to choose the option "Flash via TFTP". Pretty sure it's option 2.

*EDIT* No mods were done to the firmware either. I just grabbed the one from here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/04-16-10-r14289/Senao-ESR9752SC/

Use the firmware.bin for initial flashing. After that, you can use the normal one using the web interface for updating.

I am also using Win 7 Professional x64 for flashing.

Also, from the WHR-G300N, they said, "Set your console program to 57600, 8, n, 1".
I believe I had to set this under device manager. I just right clicked on the COM port I was using, went to properties, and those settings were in there.
mshneour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bsanborn, you are awesome. Thank you for your two reply posts!

Sounds as though I have done most of the same steps as did you. I certainly would appreciate any clarifications your electrical engineering friend might be able to provide.

May I ask you a few more questions for now?

(1) Are you using a USB-serial converter cable, or using a legacy serial port and serial cable? If you are using a converter cable, which cable and what driver are you using?

(2) You said you are using "PuttyTel" for console communication. Are you thereafter using the built-in TFTP server, or another one? If another, which TFTP server are you using?

(3) Are you using the 192.168.99.9 IP address for the LAN gateway and DNS? If not, what are you using?

----------

It is interesting that you describe your first experience as receiving gibberish characters. That is what I am receiving. I have, however, connected RX-to-TX and TX-to-RX. At least I think I have. Maybe I should reverse the cables just to be sure.

Also, it sounds as though you are not using the PWR pin. Neither am I. That is as recommended by the post sited in my post above.

----------

Many thanks for your help!

bsanborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
mshneour wrote:

(1) Are you using a USB-serial converter cable, or using a legacy serial port and serial cable? If you are using a converter cable, which cable and what driver are you using?

No idea, I just showed my buddy that site and said, "Can you do this for me?" And he took the board, soldered it, then gave it back to me. I e-mailed him, hopefully he'll come around and help.

mshneour wrote:

(2) You said you are using "PuttyTel" for console communication. Are you thereafter using the built-in TFTP server, or another one? If another, which TFTP server are you using?

I used the Solarwinds TFTP for the first one I flashed, and used this one on the second one I flashed: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
I think the built in one will work just as well.

mshneour wrote:

(3) Are you using the 192.168.99.9 IP address for the LAN gateway and DNS? If not, what are you using?

I don't think I used a Gateway or DNS. Just leave them blank. You should only need an IP address and subnet mask.

mshneour wrote:

It is interesting that you describe your first experience as receiving gibberish characters. That is what I am receiving. I have, however, connected RX-to-TX and TX-to-RX. At least I think I have. Maybe I should reverse the cables just to be sure.

Be sure to make sure your COM port settings are this:

"Set your console program to 57600, 8, n, 1".

As I stated in my post before this one. I think if you didn't have it set to those settings, it was causing gibberish as well.
mshneour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for your reply, bsanborn.

I will hopefully get my router flashed, and if so, will report my steps here for everyone's benefit.

There is obviously a lot of talent among the DD-WRT community, although fairly diverse. What is simple to some is not to others, and vice-versa. The better documented are the steps for various procedures, the better for everyone.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: