Need help .....trouble shooting my network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sfuad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 13:46    Post subject: Need help .....trouble shooting my network Reply with quote
My network is configured as below

1. Desktop 1 (XP home edition) connected to Netgear router running stock firmare which itself is connected to cable modem. Ip set up as static 192.168.1.3

2. Desktop 2. (Windows 7 ultimate) connected to Asus 520 router running on DD-WRT v24 sp2 mini usb ftp (client bridge, connected to netgear router). Also printer server is working on it and router is attached to a printer. Ip for router is setup as 192.168.1.6 and for computer it is setup static as 192.168.1.30

3. Laptop (windows 7 pro) connected to netgear as wireless. IP is setup static as 192.168.1.35

4. WDTVlive (Media player attached to my TV with a USB external hard drive) connected to Netgear WNR834B2 V2 router running on dd-wrt v24 sp2 mini (Client bridge mode).
Ip for router is setup static as 192.168.1.25

5. Two iphones which connect the network wirelessly connecting to Netgear wirelss router.

I have uninstalled all third party antivirus and firewall software. Windows firewall has been disabled on all computers. I also configured my DD-wrt routers to my computers as DMZ.

I can connect internet on each machine without any problem. I can print on the printer attached to asus router. I can ping any computer on the network using \\computer name and and access their shared folders too. My issue is I can not see other computers on my network in network explorer. Some day I would see all machines and next moent, I might see only one machine and some time not even a single machine.

If I restart my routers and computers, it start working for a while and then everything start to disappearing and might re appear magically for some time. My question is what I am doing wrong?
Why can not see all computers or devices on regular basis?

When I do the trouble shoot on any window 7 computer, it give me an error for incoming conections " More than one device is performing Network address translation NAT". How can I correct this error?

I could not establish homegroup on my two computers running windows 7. Sometimes they wont even see a homegroup created on the other computer and some time it would see the home group but would not be able to connect it.

Also, file transfer from my client bridge computer to client bridge media player hard drive is extremely slow, that most of time it gives me an error that device can not be reached on network.

I would appreciate any help. I am not an IT professional and was able to come upto this level only thru this forum and help of fellow members.

Thanks in advance for for your help guys.

Last edited by sfuad on Sat Nov 07, 2009 14:33; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tossing something out there until others with more knowledge happen by.

1. This sounds like the age old windows problems of sometimes being able to see others and sometimes not.
2. Try setting those static computer leases in the router under services services tab, and let the computers have auto IP and auto DNS, which will be statically assigned by the router. Might help.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
sfuad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have set these to dynamic ip addresses to start with with the same issue so I changed these to static.

Also I updated my original post. When I do trouble shooting on any computer running windows 7 it gives me an error for incoming connections " More than one device is performing Network address translation NAT"
What exactly is this? How can I correct it?

Thanks
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
" More than one device is performing Network address translation NAT". How can I correct this error?

NAT: some IP addresses, like 10.100.XXX.XXX, and 192.168.XXX.XXX will not go over internet routers. they will go through NAT routers.

I'm thinking both your Netgear and your Netgear are set up as routers. make one a gateway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You haven't posted your specific version of the DD-Wrt firmware, if its old it has a security flaw that needs to be addressed and can be buggy. May not be related as you didn't specify the version, just some FYI.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
sfuad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
How can I make my DD-wrt routers as gateway?
Can you help me please

Thanks

ad5mb wrote:
Quote:
" More than one device is performing Network address translation NAT". How can I correct this error?

NAT: some IP addresses, like 10.100.XXX.XXX, and 192.168.XXX.XXX will not go over internet routers. they will go through NAT routers.

I'm thinking both your Netgear and your Netgear are set up as routers. make one a gateway.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup, advanced routing, change it from gateway to router.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
sfuad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT version on my Asus 520 router is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini-usb-ftp
DD-wrt version on my netgear WNR834 router is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/26/0Cool mini .

The host router which is connected with cable modem and providing the wireless network is running netgear firmware as I don't think it is DD-WRT compatible.

On my DD-wrt routers I changed themm to router mode under advance routing tab but still it give me double NAT error

Thanks

sfuad wrote:
How can I make my DD-wrt routers as gateway?
Can you help me please

Thanks

ad5mb wrote:
Quote:

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Next stop should be to read the announcements at the top of this forum.
sfuad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I missed one thing. There is Voip adapter/ wired router between cable modem and the host router which is Netgear WGT624v3 (running on netgear firmware). do you think I move VoIP device between router and computer instead of router and modem.

Also, looking at the router database, new versions of DD-WRT are recommended for WNR834B V2 router. Would it be a good idea to upgrade to the new version and if yes, which one you recommend. i mean there is one mini version, then there is standard and one VoIp one

Thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hang out here and see what is going on, and based on all I see, I wouldn't use the router database over the builds recommended in the announcements. There is still a choice, but I would stick to those. You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you wish. My preference is always for mini builds if the router has 4 or 8 mb of FLASH memory (not RAM)

I would also start shutting down devices by unplugging them, and see where problems start. The VOIP adapter could be providing DHCP. That could be a problem.

You might also want to read the networking for dummies thread. It can be found in the "retired stickies" sticky.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The VOIP router is likely the cause of the double NAT. You need to upgrade that 09/26/08 build, those old builds had problems with CB/RB mode and didn't always pass traffic over correctly.
cablenetguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 20:56    Post subject: you have too many routers- one behind the other. Reply with quote
Use your first router as a DHCP server, and then the other routers need to have NAT disabled, essentially making them switches. That is why you are getting your error and you are having trouble seeing PC's on the network. Then you need to make sure you set up a unique network name or domain that is common to all and all PC's are members of. Then sharing will be easier. Sharing a drive over a network is unfortunately sometimes slow unless you have gigabit speeds internally, that make s a big difference.
Hope this helps.

Cablenetguy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: