FTP Directory Gone on Reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SteveJenkins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 17:14    Post subject: FTP Directory Gone on Reboot Reply with quote
Running 20979 on an E4200. My NAS and USB tabs are as shown below.

I'm trying to create an FTP files directory that survives a reboot. Obviously, the only way to have files persist on a reboot is to store them on the USB drive.

The only mount points available on the USB tab are /opt, /mnt, and /jffs (not needed since I'm using an external HD).

On the NAS tab, the only available Files Directory choices are /mnt, /mmc, and /jffs.

I've tried setting the mount point to both /opt and /mnt, but can never get an FTP files directory that survives a reboot.

Any ideas? Can I edit the proftp.conf file directly to change the files directory to something on /opt? I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks!

ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 27 10.05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.01 KB
 Viewed:  5579 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 27 10.05.jpg

ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 27 10.04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.24 KB
 Viewed:  5579 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 27 10.04.jpg

My Max-Speed DD-WRT settings | K2.6 vs K3.x Speeds Head to Head | My Overclocking Settings | My blog: SteveJenkins.com | My Job: CheatCodes.com
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think your issue is related to the optware partitions. I don;t believe Optware runs on builds greater than 20006 due to the double mounting issue for the /OPT partitions.

try blowing away all the partitions and just formating your 1 TB hard drive as 1 big EXT3 partiton. Then see if it will automount under /MNT

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
SteveJenkins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
I think your issue is related to the optware partitions. I don;t believe Optware runs on builds greater than 20006 due to the double mounting issue for the /OPT partitions.

try blowing away all the partitions and just formating your 1 TB hard drive as 1 big EXT3 partiton. Then see if it will automount under /MNT

Thx, MadMan. That did the trick. I knew Optware wouldn't run on this build, but since there are no other partitioning instructions in the wiki besides those ones, I (wrongly) assumed that's how it still needed to be done. I've now got a 1TB attached HD, and it's FTP accessible. Samba is next. Thanks again!

My Max-Speed DD-WRT settings | K2.6 vs K3.x Speeds Head to Head | My Overclocking Settings | My blog: SteveJenkins.com | My Job: CheatCodes.com
SteveJenkins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well THAT didn't take long. Samba's working now, too. Smile

And I haven't gone searching for the answer yet, but it seems the Path options for the shares are auto populated, with no option for anything "deeper" than the entire partition. That means that I can allow guests on the network to share the public FTP directory I've set up at /mnt/disc0_part1/ftp/pub but that the deepest Samba share I can set up is /mnt/disc0_part1/.

So either I can't store private files on my drive, or I can only share the drive with network guests via FTP. I imagine a custom Samba setup is probably what I'll need to do.

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think the issue is that the built in Samba and FTP in DD-WRT are kind of limited and stripped down. So attempting to use it as a full featured server with rights is going to be not easy. but for limited and quick and dirty file sharing, it works well.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: