D-Link DIR-615 D2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
supercilious wrote:
@Welshchris

I suggest you just flash the 14896 build. Its the last version that got me actually to 300mbps speeds on my laptop and 72mbps on my phone.

Every build since then that I have tried has resulted in 144mbps maximum and 65 or below on my phone. Playing videos sometimes stutters too, which was perfect on 14896. I haven't tried anything in the last couple of months though.

I don't think this bug will ever be fixed in ddwrt, so I might just buy a new router at some point.

Is this statement from page 63 still true ? Was build 14896 the latest one giving a 300 Mb/s rate ?
I've tried builds 19519-23320 and all give max 150 Mb/s (WPA2+AES, 40 MHz channel width, no neighborhood interference). Please also check my previous post for more details (the last one on page 66).
Sponsor
liverpoolatnight
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
New builds for the D-Link DIR-615 D2 can be found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015
EE BrightBox 1 aka A4001N (OpenWrt 17.01.4)
Sagemcom FAST@5364 (VDSL2,FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) Synced 65/17

Twitter: @francisuk1989
---------------------------------
Found a bug? Report it http://svn.dd-wrt.com
DD-WRT Official FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493762527744455
zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, so sorry for posting in an old thread, but I got my hands on this router, d-link dir-615 D2 and it came pre-installed with dd-wrt v24-sp2, build 21061 from 3/25/13.

I wanted to use it as a repeater bridge, but I can't seem to get virtual interfaces to work. I set it up in Repeater Bridge mode just fine, and everything works through wired ports, but as soon as I create a virtual interface everything freezes. Connection to my main router is lost. And it even kills the wifi of my main router.

I tried switching channels, using 6, 12 and auto, on both routers, but the end result is the same. I read in this thread that repeating just doesn't work on this router. Is there nothing that I can do to get this to work? An older/newer firmware perhaps?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, try 26653.
zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Yes, try 26653.

Hi, thanks for such a speedy reply. Just to make sure, I need to use this version:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-01-2015-r26635/dlink-dir615d/

Right? And I use the dd-wrt not factory and I can do it through Administration >> Firmware upgrade?

I never used dd-wrt, so I don't want to kill the device..
zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I was impatient, and I went ahead and upgraded the firmaware I linked to. It worked, phew. I'll start setting up the repeater bridge and report back the results...
zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well here's me with a report. I upgraded the router with this firmware here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-01-2015-r26635/dlink-dir615d/

But unfortunately virtual interfaces are still not playing nicely with the wifi network of my main router (ZyXEL P-2601HN-F3). As soon as a virtual interface is created, wifi connection to the main router is lost and also any device that's connected to the main routers wifi gets limited connectivity. As if the two networks are in some sort of conflict. Without a virtual interface, wifi connection to the main router is OK, and the ethernet ports are working.

I tried the following things:

Changing between the three available wifi modes on my main router, (b/g/n, b/g and g only)
Changing between manual channel setting (6,12) and automatic channel setting
Turning off wifi protection completely on the main router (I couldn't even connect with this setup).

Normally I use WPA-PSK with AES encryption. Everything else I did according to tutorial for the wireless bridge mode on the wiki (firewall off, dnsmasq off, IP addresses of my main eouter, router mode, both networks have the same encryption type and passwords). Am I missing something, or is there just some sort of problem with my main router, conflict, or is that D2 revision just doesn't want to repeat the signal?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest is 26653, not 26635.
The link to latest builds can be found in my signature.
Upgrade to 26653, don't forget to do a Reset to Factory Defaults (in DD-WRT Administration tab) before and after upgrade. Also, wait around 2-3 minutes every time when doing so and also after upgrading to a new firmware.
26653 for DIR-615 D2 is here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-09-2015-r26653/dlink-dir615d/
If you are already on DD-WRT, use the dir615d-ddwrt-webflash.bin file (not the one with factory in its name).

After you're on 26653, report back here. I'm writing up another post for you on how to correctly set up Repeater on Ralink. There are some quirks, so I have to be specific.

zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I'm on build 26653 now. I setup everything as before and again everything works OK up until I create a virtual interface. Once a virtual interface is setup, total breakdown ensues. Any help is appreciated. Just to clarify, you mentioned Repeater, but I'm trying to setup Repeater Bridge. So that there's no confusion.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good. First of all, you have to know about a DD-WRT bug of Ralink-based routers (DIR-615 D versions included) in Repeater/Repeater Bridge mode. It is documented here http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3809 . The client side of the repeater (or repeater bridge) does not automatically select the channel number of the Host AP. So you have to manually select the same channel number as the one the Host AP broadcasts on; if the Host AP changes channel, then you'll have to manually re-set the channel on the Repeater, it won't follow automatically the Host AP's channel, unfortunately.

That being said, this is how I set up a Repeater Bridge on my DIR-615 D2:

1. Wireless -> Basic Settings -> 2.4GHz ra0:
AP, NG-Mixed, HT40, SSID of Host AP. Save. Save. [Yes, hit "Save" twice. This is important]
Set the Channel number and Extension Channel (Lower or Upper) to be the same as that of the Host AP. Save.
Now set Repeater Bridge instead of AP. Save. [you'll notice the Channel selection field will disappear at this point. This is the bug]

Add your Virtual AP (ra1).

2. Wireless -> Wireless Security:
ra0: WPA2 Personal, AES, Password [make sure it's the password asked by Host AP]. Save.
ra1: WPA2 Personal, AES, Password

3. Wireless -> Advanced Settings:
CTS Protection Mode: Disable.
TX Power: 71 mW. Save.

4. Setup -> Basic Setup:
WAN Connection: Disabled
Router IP: 192.168.1.2 [make sure this IP is on the same subnet as the Host AP (which is in this case 192.168.1.1)]
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 [this is the IP of the Host AP]
Save.

5. Setup -> Advanced Routing -> Operating Mode: Router. Save.

6. Services -> Services -> WPS Button -> Turning Off Radio: Enable. Save.

7. Security -> Firewall:
Disable all filters except Filter Multicast. Save.
SPI Firewall: Disable. Save.

Apply Settings. Wait 1-2 minutes for changes to take effect.
Reboot Router from Administration tab.

zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, here's how it went. I go into Basic Wireless settings and there change the Wifi mode to NG Mixed (although the main router has BGN) and set the channel width to 40/lower (although the main router uses 20, I think I can't see this setting), but I'm still connected to the main router, yay. Next I disable the CTS Protection Mode, I apply settings, I'm still connected to the main router, yay. TX power to 71 (it was 100), Turning off radio to Enable, apply settings, connection is still there, great. I can browse the web through DIR 615 through ethernet ports. Remainder of settings that you mentioned were already set from before.

Last step, let's create a virtual interface. I create one with a different SSID, same security and password and a few moments after that I lose connection to the main router, I can no longer open up DD WRT interface on DIR 615, and all other devices connected to the main router via wireless lose internet access (this would be "Limited connection" in Windows). I also cannot connect to the main router using its IP address (192.168.5.1, DIR 615 is 192.168.5.2), from devices connected directly to it.

The only way how I can access DIR 615 again is by entering gateway details to the network adapter. Once I remove the virtual interface, everything returns back to normal. The virtual interface itself is working, I can see that it's active, but it's just that everything else stop functioning. Only that, Smile .

Sorry for the long write up. I just wanna offer as much details as possible. Let me know if you need anything else. It seems to me like these two routers are incompatible maybe? Are they like broadcasting on the same frequency, or something like that? I don't how to describe it.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't do what I said to do.
Do the following, exactly as I say (there's a reason to the order of these settings):

a) Disconnect all cables from the DIR-615 D2. Reset the router with the reset button on the back. Use a paperclip or a pen and push that button for 10 seconds, then release. The router will reset to Factory defaults.

b) Connect a LAN cable between the router (LAN port #1) and your PC. Connect in Firefox to 192.168.1.1, enter the new password to access the DD-WRT web interface.

c) Do steps 1-7 EXACTLY in the order I wrote above.

zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, ok, I now did all the steps as you described them, in the order that you described them, twice and the end result is that DIR 615 won't connect to my main router. This happens because we add virtual interface right away, I think. With your setup in place, if I just remove the virtual interface, DIR 615 connects to my main router just fine, meaning I can access my main router/Internet through ethernet ports.

A slight difference with your settings that I noticed is that there seems to be less interference with the wifi network of my main router, but it's still flaky. I don't know why, but a Windows tablet that I have seems to stay connected to the wifi network of the main router, but my Android phone has limited connectivity problems.

After I tested out your settings, I noticed a couple of things in your setting which were missing from the original directions on the wiki. For example you didn't mention the DNS server settings? I then tested it with a DNS server setting (pointed it to the IP of my main router). All the other settings were like you said, still didn't work.

Then another thing that I tested is the channel width. Like I mentioned I think that my router uses 20Mhz, so I reset the router and tried it with 20Mhz, but still the same problem remained. I did the same thing with 40Mhz lower/upper settings. Like I said, my main router doesn't allow me to set channel width so I'm not sure what this should be. Weird thing is that without a virtual interface, all channel width settings seem to be working.

Bottom line is, as long as a virtual interface is active, I can't get a connection to my main router. It's like there's a clash of wireless networks and all of them stop working. Sad
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember using 25179 in Repeater mode, for several months without noticeable issues. Give it a try.

Be careful not to use any of the other, older-than-25760 builds, most of them soft-brick the router. Only builds 23320, 23503, 25143 and 25179 work.

zoran25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried it with 25179, same behavior. I'll test it out at my friends house. He's shown an interest in the router, so if it works for him, I'll sell it and just find a different router. I'm really sorry about this, I really wanted it to work after all the reflashing, reseting and rebooting...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 67 of 68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: