Better way to open WRT54G (WRT54G-TM)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
millerm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15    Post subject: Better way to open WRT54G (WRT54G-TM) Reply with quote
I tried the recommended process of pushing on the feet, and ended up doing some serious damage to the clips that hold the case together. I managed to fix most of it with super-glue (let it dry overnight before re-assymbling!) but wanted to find a better way.

I've put together a guide to taking apart the case with minimum damage, and putting it back together again.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2367752&id=68139137&l=a772e61f90

There are LOTS of photos -- that's one thing that bothered me about other guides. I wanted to understand what held the thing together but nobody really addressed it and there weren't enough photos for me to figure that out myself.

Hope this helps someone out there...
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
push on the dark grey sides and pop off the blue cover, side by side..

once apart, don't forget to trim the "hooks" on the blue cover with a razer blade so they don't engage the grey cover so deeply.. then next time, it is a breeze to get apart.

good work with the pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
push on the dark grey sides and pop off the blue cover, side by side..

once apart, don't forget to trim the "hooks" on the blue cover with a razer blade so they don't engage the grey cover so deeply.. then next time, it is a breeze to get apart.

good work with the pics.

Thanks, glad you like it!

Good tip -- I didn't trim the "hooks" but the way the catches (on the black part) were damaged from my first attempt at opening (pushing on the feet), I had to partially fill the inside of the hooks with super-glue and then clamped it to hold the broken plastic overnight while the glue cured. Once I was absolutely sure the glue was totally dry, I put it back together and began my work on how to open it easier. I'm amazed the glue held but so far so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: