Wireless Reapter Xbox 360 trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 22:17    Post subject: Wireless Reapter Xbox 360 trouble Reply with quote
I have DSL internet and they provided me with a Siemens Gigaset SE567 which has a built in router. I already owned a Linksys WRT54G v3.1 so I flashed it and put DD-WRT v24-Sp1 std_generic on it. I am using it as a wireless repeater to hook my Xbox up to Xbox Live. Now I can get on Live and download demos and such but I have a few problems. I had to put thee IP in manually for the Xbox also.

My first problem is that I can't get the NAT down from strict. I have tried putting the Xbox's ip as the DMZ, port forwarding, disabling upnp, and enabling upnp but none of it works.

My second problem is I can't get the Xbox to hook up with my PC via Windows Media Center. The pc can't find the Xbox nor can the Xbox find the PC. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Sponsor
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be using Client Bridge or Repeater Bridge mode. Repeater mode won't work.
Se7en is Darker...
bddognobone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 is correct, however it sounds as if you've already connected to the internet, so you have it set up as a wireless bridge repeater.

Make sure of the following:

-Firewall is disabled on the bridge/repeater
-You are specifying the XBox's IP in the DMZ of the Siemens Gigaset, not the Linksys.

Let me know how it goes.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
bddognobone wrote:
jmh9072 is correct, however it sounds as if you've already connected to the internet, so you have it set up as a wireless bridge repeater.

Yes, he's online, but I was thinking that maybe by some fluke the wired ports were working, just on a different subnet. That would explain the strict NAT and the inability of the devices to see each other.

I don't use repeater mode myself, so it would be interesting to see if that could be the case.

Se7en is Darker...
bddognobone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's true. I've never used a strictly repeater mode either.

Hopefully they write back with more detailed information and if there was ever a solution.
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
bddognobone wrote:

Yes, he's online, but I was thinking that maybe by some fluke the wired ports were working, just on a different subnet. That would explain the strict NAT and the inability of the devices to see each other.

I don't use repeater mode myself, so it would be interesting to see if that could be the case.

I have it set up exactly how this guide specifies:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater
So I should change it to a repeater bridge? And I should assign the IP to the siemen and not the linksys? Like the IP to the linksys is 192.168.69.1 and the Xbox's ip is 192.168.69.138. The DHCP range of the siemen is 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.254.253, so I should change the IP to something in that range?

Thanks for the help

EDIT:
I found the Linksys on my Siemens router. Its IP is 192.168.254.2. I don't know if that helps with anything but I thought I would just tell you all.
bddognobone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, change it to a Repeater Bridge or just a bridge depending on what better fits your needs.

As for the IP, have the Siemens do all the port forwarding, or DMZ stuff. Easiest way is you make sure your siemen can assign the same IP address to your xbox everytime it connects by MAC address.

Once you can get the xbox IP address to always be the same no matter what, then it'll be easy for you to ensure your xbox is always in the DMZ on the Siemens side.

Also make sure the dd-wrt box used as a bridge/repeater bridge has ii's firewall off.
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
bddognobone wrote:
Yes, change it to a Repeater Bridge or just a bridge depending on what better fits your needs.

As for the IP, have the Siemens do all the port forwarding, or DMZ stuff. Easiest way is you make sure your siemen can assign the same IP address to your xbox everytime it connects by MAC address.

Once you can get the xbox IP address to always be the same no matter what, then it'll be easy for you to ensure your xbox is always in the DMZ on the Siemens side.

Also make sure the dd-wrt box used as a bridge/repeater bridge has ii's firewall off.

Should I change the IP under dd-wrt on the Linksys to 192.168.254.2? And should I still have to manually assign an IP to the Xbox?
gamer.pro.2000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, sp1 has bugs with bridging at times, so updating to the latest eko builds is a good idea, instead of sticking the sp1.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd recommend resetting the Linksys router back to defaults and starting from scratch.

First of all, for this to work, both routers need to be on the same subnet. The guide you followed made all of the clients on the secondary router on a different subnet. That's a difficult setup if you want XBL and Media Sharing to work correctly.

You should follow one of two guides to set up your Linksys router:

Set up a Repeater Bridge if you want to extend your network wirelessly (this sets up the second router as a secondary AP).

or

Set up a Client Bridge if you only want wired devices to be able to connect to the Linksys router.

Once you have that done, you can either use UPnP with DHCP or you can set the Xbox to have a static IP and either port forward or DMZ it.

Se7en is Darker...
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
I'd recommend resetting the Linksys router back to defaults and starting from scratch.

First of all, for this to work, both routers need to be on the same subnet. The guide you followed made all of the clients on the secondary router on a different subnet. That's a difficult setup if you want XBL and Media Sharing to work correctly.

You should follow one of two guides to set up your Linksys router:

Set up a Repeater Bridge if you want to extend your network wirelessly (this sets up the second router as a secondary AP).

or

Set up a Client Bridge if you only want wired devices to be able to connect to the Linksys router.

Once you have that done, you can either use UPnP with DHCP or you can set the Xbox to have a static IP and either port forward or DMZ it.

Ok I will try that in a little bit. Which firmware do you recomend I use? I was thinking about just going back to dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin which is just the regular v24. But if there is a better one more suited for what I am trying to do (hook up my xbox to live and media sharing) then let me know. The firmware is going to the WRT54G v3.1.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mynameisnick4 wrote:
Ok I will try that in a little bit. Which firmware do you recomend I use? I was thinking about just going back to dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin which is just the regular v24. But if there is a better one more suited for what I am trying to do (hook up my xbox to live and media sharing) then let me know. The firmware is going to the WRT54G v3.1.

I'd recommend one of the v24 pre-SP2 builds. Try this one. Reset to defaults before and after the flash.

Se7en is Darker...
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I am having some problems setting up the bridge. Once I set everything up, its not giving out correct IPs. I have a feeling its with the the basic network set up of the linksys because its the only part thats confusing me. The ip of the siemens (the ip used to acess its settings) which is sending out the internet is 192.168.254.254. The DHCP range of the siemen is 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.254.253. Now in the guide for the repeater bridge it says:
Quote:
Open the Setup -> Basic Setup tab
Connection Type will be: Disabled
Set STP for Disabled (Enabled sometimes can cause connection problems) redhawk
IP Address : 192.168.1.2 (Assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (again assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
Assign WAN Port to Switch : Checked or Unchecked - your choice
Save Settings

I am not to sure what to put in one mine based on the siemen IP. Anyone know what I should enter on the linksys dd-wrt?
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wiki is presuming that your AP is at 192.168.1.1. (as it stated). Yours is not. Set your RB to 192.168.254.2 and use 192.168.254.254 for any place where it says 192.168.1.1 in the wiki.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
mynameisnick4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything is working perfectly now. The Xbox is Live with no NAT restrictions and media center is working. Thanks for all the help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: