using the DD-WRT software as a server.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Gibbster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 22:05    Post subject: using the DD-WRT software as a server. Reply with quote
Is anyone currently doing this?

I run an ISP and this software has pretty much every function my Broadband Server does. If I could run this software instead, that would be great. Especially since there are different versions depending on your needs.

I have it installed on a WRT54GL. Do you think that unit would sufficiently handle 50+ or 100+ users?
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 22:34    Post subject: Re: using the DD-WRT software as a server. Reply with quote
Gibbster wrote:
I have it installed on a WRT54GL. Do you think that unit would sufficiently handle 50+ or 100+ users?

Only if they're extremely light users. You should use more powerful hardware that can handle the load, a wrt54gl will only route ~30mbps and if you're a WISP then you need more radios/antennas to handle that many users.

NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Troll? Reply with quote
Quote:
I run an ISP and this software has pretty much every function my Broadband Server does. If I could run this software instead, that would be great. Especially since there are different versions depending on your needs.

Quote:

Um, an ISP with 16MB of RAM, a 200Mhz processor with 16kb (those are kilobytes) of cache....for 50 to 100 users?

Yes.

Then, you can put all of your 50-100 users in a volkswagen bug, or, a phone booth.

SP1: it's a problem.
Gibbster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone setup an install of this software on a Server machine?

Sorry if I seem ignorant but I am NOT a Linux user whatsoever.

I would love to be able to use this software.
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:14    Post subject: I don't think powerful enough Reply with quote
Hi Gibb,

I do not think a WRT54GL has enough processing power to be an ISP machine--it's a home/consumer unit.

In reading the forums here, I note all these units have trouble when they run out of memory--since they do not have a hard drive or virtual memory, when they run out of memory, they can lock up or become unstable.

50 or 100 wireless users? I think there would be lots of interference, and it would be agonizingly slow--

50-100 wired users? I am not sure how much bandwidth you have to distribute, but I think you are looking at 1995 dial up speeds--

I just don't think a home router is the right tool for the job.
Quote:

...I am NOT a Linux user whatsoever.

DD-WRT is considered an "embedded" version of linux I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Linux

It's small, specialized.

In fact, for an ISP: I don't think that it is the limiting factor--I think that the hardware is.

You were thinking of doing this on a commercial basis?

Gibbster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have several Access Points. I wasn't planning on using this unit to connect the users but to handle the DHCP requests, MAC Authentication, and Data Throughput.

My main concern was in fact overloading the memory of the unit once you surpass a certain number of users.

I love the software though and would like to explore whether or not its possible to deploy it as a server.
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:43    Post subject: MAC filtering Reply with quote
Mac filtering for security?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

That is not secure.

Access points to router: that is really going to be a bottleneck I think.

DD-WRT as a server? Yes, like a Yugo is a car. A Yugo is, in fact, a car, but, not a very capable one.

Gibbster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been doing this for 3 years now and am currently expanding my market. I am looking for different ways to handle Server tasks and after playing with this software today, I decided I like it more then my current servers.

Yes I understand the risks associated with MAC Authentication.... however..... I assign each client a Radio. That radio has a preset IP Address. If a MAC comes back with a different IP address, it raises a flag in the system. If one MAC comes in signed in more then once, it raises a flag. if Data usage changes drastically for a MAC, it raises a flag.

In any of the three cases, I simply log into the network and punch in the IP of the customer radio. I should be logged into their radio interface. If I am not, it tells me right there the MAC has been spoofed and I remove the client until the situation is resolved.

It's all monitored 24/7 and emails sent to me as soon as something looks awry. It works well but it does cost a good chunk of change when you start deploying several townships at once which led me to search out cheaper alternatives.
lupine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
As an interface this would probably work quite well. Initially designed for use on the WRT type devices it has branched out and is available on many different types of hardware. I suspect that the X86 version might be more what you are after. If you want to use it with wireless it will need to be registered, but if you are just using it as a backend and wired only then that would be the way to go. Being X86 means that it can be used on standard hardware and would scale well.
Linksys WRT54GL 1.1
Way too much time.
Gibbster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I was hoping to hear Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: