Novatel 2200 USB to D-Link DIR-632

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
begleysm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 21:20    Post subject: Novatel 2200 USB to D-Link DIR-632 Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my Novatel 2200 (Sprint MiFi Wireless Hotspot) to provide internet to my D-Link DIR-632 DD-WRT Router via USB tethering. The the DIR-632 will provide wired & wireless networking to my home.

Documentation suggests this should be possible.
dd-wrt supports USB tethering: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage#DD-WRT_versions_with_built-in_USB_support
the Novatel 2200 is supported: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/3G_/_3.5G#Novatel_Wireless
The DIR-632 supports USB: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB#USB_support
DIR-632 wiki page:

The 3G modem support page says that I need the "usb" version of the firmware. The USB tethering support page says the "mega" version might work. The DIR-632 page on the Router Database doesn't seem to have "usb" or "mega" version available. However when I install the available package and go to Services -> USB and enable "Core USB Support" the only options that appear are to add USB Storage and/or USB Printer Support.

How do I get USB Modem Support?

Thanks,
begleysm
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
MiFi2200 does not support tethering over usb but you can use it as a usb dial-up modem.

Select Mobile Broadband as WAN connection in the dd-wrt Basic Setup tab, fill in the APN, username, and password.
Select CDMA/EVDO dial string and you should be ready to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks LOM your advice helped me get it to work! I thought I had to do some more magic to "enable USB networking" or something like that.

For anyone else attempting to solve this problem. As LOM said you need to select Mobile Broadband as WAN connection in the dd-wrt Basic Setup tab and fill in your username and password and Select CDMA/EVDO dial string.

However, you don't need to fill in the APN because the Sprint Novatel MiFi 2200 is an EVDO Rev A. device and, apparently, you don't need an APN for this type of device.

Also, your username is listed in the MiFi configuration (by logging into your MiFi 192.168.1.1 by default) if you don't know what it is.

I setup DD-WRT as LOM said, then plugged in the MiFi. The MiFi automatically turned off its HotSpot and became a USB Modem.

This is a really good way to gain the functionality of dd-wrt and to overcome the 5-client limit of the MiFi HotSpot.

Also as an FYI, you will not be able to access the MiFi config page when it is setup as a USB Modem. You will have to disconnect the MiFi from the router which will re-enable it's wifi hotspot, connect to the mifi's network and THEN go to 192.168.1.1

Thanks,
begleysm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: