Does TX Power setting really work? Especially when adj. down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
TTCOP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:17    Post subject: Does TX Power setting really work? Especially when adj. down Reply with quote
Hi, All,

My router is r TP-Link TL-WR841N Version 11. My DD-WRT is v3.0-r30949 std (12/15/16).

For some specific reason, I need to drastically cut down wireless signal leakage, and confine the signal to my room only. So naturally I went to the Wireless -> TX Power setting, and changed the value from the default, maybe 20 dBm, to 1 dBm.

I think the wireless signal coverage would then be severely reduced. But to my dismay and disappointment, my phone still can connect to my router, even from 3 rooms apart, or 20 meters away, and shows the signal strength to be fairly good. It looks like there is almost no difference whether it is 1 dBm or 20 dBm.

So what happened behind the screen? Does DD-WRT TX Power adjustment really work, especially when adjusting down? Is such setting just a placebo setting, existing only to appease users and telling white lies? Is it that only the router vendor knows the secret Unix command to truly adjust transmission power?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
it works. take the antennas off if they come off, or tilt them down & put a pot over it or something.. ur wanting something <1% of wifi users ever want.

[QUALCOMM] R7800 ---------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31533 std (private test)
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L A1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31533 std (private test)
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 ------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31462 std (private test)
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31462 std (private test)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

ILU mm/cl/AM never forget..
TTCOP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Such setting does not work at all. A whopping one week passed, and still the same (powerful) signal strength as the one from the default 20 dBm.

Please do not persuade me away from it, by telling me to try other means, i.e., like removing antennas, so that I conveniently forget this very topic itself. I just want to know why this setting is not working.

Yes, I want to cut down wireless signal strength as much as possible for some very specific reason.

Even the stock firmware can adjust TX power effortlessly and reliably. How come DD-WRT is actually worse than stock firmware in this aspect? Is DD-WRT still worth all the hypes?
SaschaITM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are radio waves. You don't tell radio waves to stop at a wall. If you don't like the DD-WRT "hype" stop using it, simple.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
TTCOP wrote:
Such setting does not work at all. A whopping one week passed, and still the same (powerful) signal strength as the one from the default 20 dBm.

Please do not persuade me away from it, by telling me to try other means, i.e., like removing antennas, so that I conveniently forget this very topic itself. I just want to know why this setting is not working.

Yes, I want to cut down wireless signal strength as much as possible for some very specific reason.

Even the stock firmware can adjust TX power effortlessly and reliably. How come DD-WRT is actually worse than stock firmware in this aspect? Is DD-WRT still worth all the hypes?

then go back to stock firmware. telling u other ways to help reduce range is "persuading u AWAY from it"..? oh god... & ur not even on the latest build before reporting ur "problem".

is 1watt of power powerful to u? probably not, well thats 30dbm, every 3dbm is half or double depending above or below, 20 is "powerful", lol....

[QUALCOMM] R7800 ---------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31533 std (private test)
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 ------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31462 std (private test)
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r31462 std (private test)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

ILU mm/cl/AM never forget..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: