Disable ethernet LAN ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
bexley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:28    Post subject: Re: Physical Access! Reply with quote
NXIL wrote:
Bexley wrote:

Quote:
This is a most basic requirement and i simply cannot believe that it cannot be done given some of the other advanced features that this has.

The most BASIC requirement is PHYSICALLY SECURING YOUR HARDWARE.

Citation: Schneier.

http://www.google.com/search?domains=www.schneier.com&sitesearch=www.schneier.com&q=physical+access&hq=inurl%3Awww.schneier.com%2Fblog

Physical access is root access.

If someone can come along with a laptop and plug a Cat5 cable into your router, you have a very serious security problem.

Quote:

foamcup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:11 am
Put it behind a locked door.

QFT before your issue becomes WTF....really, restricting physical access is key. A router wants to route--if someone has physical access to it, they can override whatever software lock you put on it.

30/30/30, new password, sweet.

NX

PS: highly recommend Schneier. He is like Chuck Norris for computer security.

Bruce Schneier knows Alice and Bob's shared secret.

Most people use passwords. Some people use passphrases. Bruce Schneier uses an epic passpoem, detailing the life and works of seven mythical Norse heroes.

Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days.

Bruce Schneier once decrypted a box of AlphaBits.

Vs lbh nfxrq Oehpr Fpuarvre gb qrpelcg guvf, ur'q pehfu lbhe fxhyy jvgu uvf ynhtu.

Bruce Schneier writes his books and essays by generating random alphanumeric text of an appropriate length and then decrypting it.

Though a superhero, Bruce Schneier disdanes the use of a mask or secret identity as 'security through obscurity'.

blah blah blah, everything is so simple when your sitting on the other end of a forum isnt it.

Can we focus on being able to shut a few little lan ports down for the moment?

which i'm sure you'll agree, is a very simple requirement. i managed it on a THOMSON TG585v7 in about 2 minutes and that is possibly the worst router / os in the world.
Sponsor
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:31    Post subject: 30 30 30 Reply with quote
Hard reset wipes that out.

Ports are open.

Another good book, a classic, really:

The Cuckoo's Egg.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuckoos-Egg-Clifford-Stoll/dp/0671726889

There is a great scene in it when the author calls an Air Force Base, having observed hackers log into their mainframe. He calls the duty officer to tell him what has happened, duty officer says that this is impossible, that computer has a password: sadly, the password was "administrator". Hadn't been changed from default.

SP1: it's a problem.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
bexley wrote:

oh it's a Buffalo WHR-G300N by the way, should have mentioned that. Very Happy

With a RaLink cpu and switch, that is the reason why you don't have any vlan config in the GUI.

So you not only have a router where the chip manufacturer doesn't make the chip specifications publicly available - you are also in the wrong sub-forum. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:35    Post subject: Sorry Bex Reply with quote
Sorry Bex, but: if security for this router is really important, then "disabling" the LAN ports is not the solution.

And sorry if I am not blowing sunshine up your ass.

If you want to use DD-WRT to shut off the LAN ports in software, buy a router that supports that.

You might want to check out this website for people who did not step back from the problem to think about the solution:

http://thereifixedit.com/

And: physical access is root access.

And: if it's just being used wirelessly: MOVE IT! Cat5E cables can be pretty long. Move it somewhere inaccessible. Like a locked closet.

Jayzuz!!!!

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll have to remove ports 1,2,3,4 from vlan0ports.

3 commands

nvram set vlan0ports="5*"
nvram commit
reboot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Production use Reply with quote
And, if this router is in production i.e. for a business: buy better hardware.

Or, just get an AP, access point--nothing to plug in to.

Thinking outside the box.....

NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:48    Post subject: From http://thereifixedit.com/ Reply with quote
From http://thereifixedit.com/

Someone's already been working on this problem!

bexley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

3 commands

nvram commit
reboot

thankyou LOM, i really appreciate your help.

The other dude who is banging on about physical security, ok whatever, i did not ask to be lectured on the fundamentals of infosec, i asked how to disable switch ports from ddwrt.

Now if you dont mind, can you clutter another thread with your (quite correct) view point.
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:00    Post subject: Re: From http://thereifixedit.com/ Reply with quote
NXIL wrote:
From http://thereifixedit.com/

Someone's already been working on this problem!

lmfao... Laughing

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bexley wrote:

thankyou LOM, i really appreciate your help.

You are welcome. Now please piss over to the sub-forum where you belong, the RaLink one Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
what a twat
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:49    Post subject: twat Reply with quote
1) I do not think anyone here is real impressed with your "Cisco Certification". Note: they are not really impressed over at Slashdot.org, either:

Quote:

Fatty writes "Entry level certifications such as the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) have become the source of many jokes to people in the industry, largely because of the seemingly inept people that proudly display their certifications.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/07/08/22/1448212/Network-Warrior

and

Quote:
Posted by CmdrTaco

from the i-never-valued-it-in-the-first-place dept.

lpq writes "IT certifications, popular after the dot-com bust, seem to be hurting careers now according to this article in the current Eweek.com issue. Guess employers are getting hip to the idea that those who don't have experience or can't "do", get certified..."

Quote:

CCNA Certification Library
Posted by timothy
from the punch-yer-own-ticket dept.
books
Michael Bennett Cohn writes "Cisco Press' CCNA Self-Study Certification Library by Wendell Odom consists of two books: the ICND guide and the INTRO guide, corresponding to tests 640-811 and 641-821, respectively. Passing each of those tests will make you a CCNA; so will passing combined exam 640-801. I passed exam 640-801 in one try, with no real networking experience and having taken no classes. The ICND and INTRO books comprised my primary training materials."

Emotional Intelligence, being able to work with others, accept new ideas, creatively work a problem: no certificate for that, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

Bex, after diabling those LAN ports, how are you going to disable the RESET switch in software?

Manual:

http://www.google.com/search?q=WHR-G300N++manual+pdf&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Page 15 of the PDF: reset the router in 3 seconds using a paperclip. Router back to defaults: in three seconds. Got access! I think the term is "pwned".

Note: in this Cisco security book, they talk about the importance of securing from physical access:

http://booktraining.org/network/cisco-systems/hacking-exposed-cisco-networks-cisco-security-secrets-solutions-cisco-security-secrets-and-solutions.html
Quote:

* Prevent secret keys cracking, sneaky data link attacks, routing protocol exploits, and malicious physical access

Duct tape is big on ThereIFixedIt.com: put duct tape over the LAN ports! Then duct tape the router to a wall or desk.

Cut off 4 CAT5 connectors, and super glue them into the open LAN ports.

Or, sell that router, and get an access point: wireless access, but no port access.

HTH!

PS: any reason you are not working with Cisco hardware?

kthxbye!

thorson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
What if you set a new WAN MAC address and lock the switch port on the other end of WAN port to this MAC address. Reseting the router would reset also WAN MAC to its factory value and then router wouldn't have access to the internal network anymore.

So by :
1. locking all router LAN ports to a specific MAC address (with which you spoof your eth every time you access the router)
2. setting a new WAN MAC address
3. locking the switch port on the other end of WAN port to this MAC address

wouldn't this be secure enough ?

how fast can one find the correct MAC address by bruteforce spoofing ?
mon224
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

3 commands

nvram commit
reboot

Hi DD-WRT Community!

I tried these three commands and it didn't work on the TL-WR841ND with the build 23838 (03/29/14).
Are these commands only work on broadcom and not atheros or on older builds?

I found these posts by accident, trying to research the possibility to block LAN-Ports in certain situations and after reading all of your posts, I tried that one from a user names LOM as I quoted.

Does anyone have a diffrent solution or opinion regarding to this topic?

Kind regards,
Thank you!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: