[Problem solved] Port Forwarding Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Hodag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 18:49    Post subject: [Problem solved] Port Forwarding Problem Reply with quote
Specs: Linksys WRT300N V1
Firmware: V24 Standard Generic Build 13064

I have been using V24 on this router for over a year with no problems, and somehow my port forwarding got screwed up. So...I downloaded the latest build and flashed it back to default settings. Then I did three things (otherwise vanilla settings).

1. Change the router name
2. Used "Services" to create a static IP of 192.168.1.150 for my computer based on my MAC
3. Used the NAT/QOS Port Forward tab to configure a straight forward on 5XXX2 for TCP and 5XXX3 for UDP and my static IP. I checked the "enable" boxes, saved, and applied settings.

All should be good, right? Only problem is that these ports seem to be closed. I have tried probing the machine using the PFPortChecker from PortForward.com (which reports them both closed) and Vuze also reports a closed firewall.

I have done a release / renew and IPCONFIG report the correct IP address, gateway, and mask. What am I missing?

Edit: Brain fart on my end. What I failed to remember is that I am double firewalled since I started to use Vonage. I needed to set port fowarding in DD-WRT and the Vonage adapter. I forgot about the settings in Vonage!

Last edited by Hodag on Tue Dec 08, 2009 19:12; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the peacock announcement for proper upgrade instructions. You should be prompted to change your login info if you flashed correctly and even if you were, do another hard reset to clear nvram.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 19:12    Post subject: Re: Port Forwarding Problem Reply with quote
Hodag wrote:

2. Used "Services" to create a static IP of 192.168.1.150 for my computer based on my MAC

Did you check that your computer actually has got that IP?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your vonage thing, does it do NAT or just a policy type of firewall. Meaning is it capable of doing all of your port forwarding needs?

If so, i would set the dd-wrt router in routed mode (not gateway) and just create a seperate network between the vonage and DD-WRT clients and leave the vonage to do the port-forwarding. its much cleaner this way.

For it to work, the DD-WRT router will need to know how to route traffic, so if you just create a new route of IP 0.0.0.0 Netmask 0.0.0.0 Next-Hop/Gateway (the IP of your Vonage's LAN interface facing the DD-WRT router) and do the same from your vonage to your DD-WRT router for the DD routers lan clients, you will be able to have a cleaner routed network.(Vonage route would be IP 192.168.1.0 Mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 'IP of the DD routers WAN interface', providing your using the 192.168.1.0/24 network)

NAT through NAT is messy and should be avoided.
Hodag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmounts79 wrote:
Your vonage thing, does it do NAT or just a policy type of firewall. Meaning is it capable of doing all of your port forwarding needs?

No, the Vonage adapter (at least the one I have) is a pretty humble little box. I provides RJ45 for signal from the modem, and one RJ45 for signal out to the router. I think you could get away with using the Vonage adapter if you only had one computer, but I have a WAN serving 5 users to deal with so that is not an option.

I understand about doing NAT over NAT getting messy. Do you think I am better off placing the router into the DMZ for the Vonage device (a feature they provide)? That way they would not be able to fight with each other.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
you'd be better off setting up your router as your gateway.. Connect the router to the modem and connect your vonage box to the router..

you could put the vonage device in the dmz of the router or forward the necessary ports to the vonage box.
Hodag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
you'd be better off setting up your router as your gateway.. Connect the router to the modem and connect your vonage box to the router..

you could put the vonage device in the dmz of the router or forward the necessary ports to the vonage box.

That is one idea, and one that I like. Do you know if DD-WRT will log the bandwidth used if the traffic goes through the DMZ instead of forwarding ports?

The Vonage web site has detailed instructions on how to set up port forwarding, but it is rather messy. If I can just assign a static IP and throw it into the DMZ but still log the bandwidth that would be an ideal solution.

Thanks to all who have made helpful suggestions on this thread. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: