Unbrick / Install WRT610N V1&V2 using TFTP and DD-WRT

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
darkwhisper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58    Post subject: WRT610N debricking Reply with quote
Just so I'm clear here and not wasting a bunch of time...

I have a WRT610N v2 that I bricked, pinging yields TTL=100. After multiple attempts to tftp firmware as stated in the forums here, none have worked.

Will the power on the router, wait 2-2.5 seconds, hold the reset button for 5 seconds, connect the LAN cable and go to 192.168.1.1 process work? Even if I don't have firmware (a TTL=64 response) installed?
Sponsor
pizzulicchio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
For ME, for MY EXPERIENCE, and, I think to not be alone, this reset procedure doesn't work...
I have tried it before flashing dd-wrt too... ( I "never seen" original linksys web interface of this router, just firmware upgrade button to flash dd-wrt ) and i never seen the recovery web interface after the reset, because, FOR ME, the reset procedure isn't working.
I can check the serial number of the router, when i'm home. May exist differnet minor release with different CFE... with a differnet reset procedure or without it. It's only a supposition.
I have solved only using serial port...
petrusko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:00    Post subject: Debricking ... Reply with quote
Hi guys (especialy:Eko, chix, D13H4rdNL)!

I've bought WRT610N V2 - and managed to brick it in less than 2 days Embarassed. I've allready debricked it using the suggestions on this forum.
So let me explain what procedures helped me.

Problem
I've uploaded WRONG firmware via WIFI/WEB/WLAN (idiot).
My power led blinked, blinked, and blinked.
Ping 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, even setting static (192.168.1.xxx) IP to my NIC
DHCP neither...

All I've seen is 3-5 pings when the router boots up...

What I've tried - multiple times
* flashing every single mini FW using TFTP (boot wait) - didn't work
* on Windows 7 - flashing using web "Management console" - didn't work
I must explain that I've stoped every program/service (antivirus, firewall,...) on my Windows 7 machine, removed unnecessary protocols from TCIP/TCP. Changed NIC cards Speed/Negotiation.
Nothing worked

What helped me:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63371&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

* GET YOURSELF machine with Windows XP (very, very important step!).
* Download "dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt610nv2.bin" -> Linksys WRT610n v2.0 Firmware: Special file for flashing via TFTP (get it from HERE: http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database)
* Download "dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin" from same location as the mini version!

* I've opened the router
* pull power out
* shorted 8-9 ping
* plug power
* keep it shorted for 5s
* release the "short"

* I've set static ip to my NIC (IP: 192.168.1.10; subnet:255.255.255.0; gateway: 192.168.1.1 [leave DNS's empty])
* Open browser (I've used IE7), and point your browser to: 192.168.1.1
* Flashed router with "dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt610nv2.bin" firmware.
* After several minutes 5+ (I've waited even more this time), [Yes led's on router started blinking as they supposed to blink....]
* I've did the 30/30/30 reset
* Opened 192.168.1.1, changed username/password
* Flashed with "dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin" firmware
* Waited for another 5+ minutes
* Did the 30/30/30 reset again

VOILA: Router is working again as it was before!

----------------
NOTE 1)
I've tried many times to get into "The management mode" (look for Recovery http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT610N)
I've succeded only once. I don't know which method I used.
But I can confirm that, after 30/30/30 reset you cannot get into "Management mode".

NOTE 2)
Windows 7 is great - but not for debricking router!

NOTE 3)
Double check what version of FW you are flashing and always FLASH via CABLE!
Yeah: "after the battle, all soldiers are generals"

Thanx guys for tips, and I hope this can help at least one of you!

Best Regards,
petrusko

Last edited by petrusko on Wed Feb 10, 2010 20:13; edited 1 time in total
petrusko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Debricked... and again bricked Reply with quote
I wonder how...

I know I debricked the router as described above.
I flashed router with "dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin" FW, do the 30/30/30 reset and setup the router.

It was working - WLAN was visible, DHCP was working, settings were saved.

Then I've disconected the router, and after work, bringed the router, connected and same "fu...." blue light was blincking again.

And now even more.
Ping at the boot doesn't work at all, I think I have a real brick.

Can anyone help me - before I buy another one...
Maybe a serial cable will show me ... some infos...
frankyvee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:09    Post subject: Skeptical about flashing my 610n ver2 Reply with quote
After reading all these post, I'm wondering is it worth flashing a 180 dollar router with DD-WRT. I have a 320n that has been running flawless for over a month. Not sure if I want to do this to the 610N. Is there a build that is stable enough to use on a production WRT610N ver 2.0?
nishty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello

what do you mean by "short" the pin.

i don't understand the term.

any help would be apreciated.
citygott
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 17:36    Post subject: Just want to say thank you! Reply with quote
After Hours of trying to unbrick my WRT610N v2 i found that i must open my router and short those two pins! All other options failed badly!!

It would be VERY nice if some Admin would update the Wiki, would cost a few minutes and save hours of work for those poor users who bricked their router!! Rolling Eyes

Now i focus on getting my VDSL up.....!
diman82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03    Post subject: 'Upgrade Management Interface' is confirmed to work in V1 Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that WRT610n V2 is unbrickable only using serial console.
The recovery seems to be fully working in WRT610n V1
[/quote]

I had a brick in my V1 WRT610N, and the 'Upgrade Management Interface' totally worked, just notice that you upgrade the latest official firmware from linksys, as other dd-wrt firmware images doesn't seem to work.
Another important thing is give it time (10-15 minutes for me), as it the router seems to receive data in constant small 15KB-20KB batches, like in a unicast transfer. Approximately after this period of time, the process is finished (the wireless light comes back to life), make a simple reset (hold the reset button for 10 sec while router is working) and you are good to go, you can access the web management interface (default pass is 'admin', leave user blank).
diman82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:27    Post subject: debrick via serial Reply with quote
Eko/pizzulicchio

Can you please describe (or link) the steps required to take for a debrick via serial for a WRT610N router?

Thnx in advance,
Dima.
RenRenRen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Essentially you need to build a cable, open the router and attach it, then issue your choice of commands to try and fix it.

Main ones would either be nvram erase, if misconfiguring it broke it, a forced management mode (This is what I chose, re-upload correct firmware via basic webui) or uploading a new firmware from serial with tftpd.

There's some general serial recovery information here and here, building a cable based off CA-42 here, and PCB Pinout/Opening the case here :)

To force management mode from serial:
Code:
nvram set safe_mode_upgrade=on
nvram commit
reboot

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Serial console.. Reply with quote
Many tnx RenRenRen, all detailed and seems pretty simple.
I hope I won't need all these information, but just in case I wanna be ready. I had 2 bricked routers (WRT610N V! & WRT320N) but I've managed to debrick them with the simple methods ('upgrade management mode' & reset with WPS button).
be.cool
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Everybody.

I'm trying to fix a bricked WRT610N v1 which was flashed with a wrong firmware too.

I have access to serial console and can see the boot process and interrupt it with ctrl + c. Tried the methods of debricking from CFE command line without luck.
When I try with "load -tftp -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x800000 :" The command always times out.
The "flash -ctheader -https : flash1.trx" doesn't work too. I can't load the webpage for sending the correct file.

And if I let my computer pinging the router while powering it It doesn't reply with ttl=100 but I can see at the serial terminal the step where the router waits for a tftp connection.

If I let the boot process continue I get dd-wrt loaded but with many errors related to the interfaces.

After login in I can set eth0 up but I'm having trouble in make it work.

ETH0 is the ethernet port at the router as the other interfaces eth1 and eth2 doesn't exist and wl gives and error if I try to configure it using eth0. If I assign a IP address and ping from my computer to the router or the oposite nothing happens. But I can see a byte transfer increase running ifconfig while pinging.

Is this router really lost or It can still be recovered?

Thanks!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
be.cool wrote:
Hi Everybody.

I'm trying to fix a bricked WRT610N v1 which was flashed with a wrong firmware too.

I have access to serial console and can see the boot process and interrupt it with ctrl + c. Tried the methods of debricking from CFE command line without luck.
When I try with "load -tftp -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x800000 :" The command always times out.
The "flash -ctheader -https : flash1.trx" doesn't work too. I can't load the webpage for sending the correct file.

And if I let my computer pinging the router while powering it It doesn't reply with ttl=100 but I can see at the serial terminal the step where the router waits for a tftp connection.

If I let the boot process continue I get dd-wrt loaded but with many errors related to the interfaces.

After login in I can set eth0 up but I'm having trouble in make it work.

ETH0 is the ethernet port at the router as the other interfaces eth1 and eth2 doesn't exist and wl gives and error if I try to configure it using eth0. If I assign a IP address and ping from my computer to the router or the oposite nothing happens. But I can see a byte transfer increase running ifconfig while pinging.

Is this router really lost or It can still be recovered?

Thanks!

why are you using https?

flash -ctheader : flash1.trx [enter]

launch your tftp utility and flash the stock linksys firmware. then install dd-wrt again using the linksys gui.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whenever I try to upload something via tftp the command just times out at CFE command line.
And I don't see ethernet activity while running tftp.
And as I stated before I can't see the ttl=100 ping responses while the router is starting too.

I'm using ubuntu 9.10 and the tftp utility. The router is connected at LAN port 1 to the on-board gigabit ethernet port at my machine.
dE1l
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use Recovery mode only from Windiws XP. Recovery mode don't work in Windiws 7
Personally checked.
Please, add to FAQ.!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=406626#406626
Quote:
* GET YOURSELF machine with Windows XP (very, VERY important step!).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: