Unbrick / Install WRT610N V1&V2 using TFTP and DD-WRT

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
CCRLH85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:42    Post subject: Is it really a timing issue? Reply with quote
I've tried all of the methods listed here except for the serial console and I still get nothing. Or to be precise, I have a router that pings with a TTL of 100 3-4 times about 1-2 seconds after power-on and nothing thereafter but a flashing power LED.

I've followed the timing instructions concerning when to press reset and how long to hold it to activate the recovery console to the nearest 0.1 seconds using both a very accurate analog stop-watch and the digital clock on my desktop computer. The only reason that I haven't tried a serial cable yet is the fact that I don't have the voltage leveler here to attempt to build one (I'd rather not send 12v to a 3.3v port). Are the listed times more open to interpretation than I've allowed or am I doing something else wrong?

Also, if this helps, My router is a WRT610N v1 that was running build 14929-mega just fine until I had a power surge. Everything else in that power strip come back just fine but the router didn't make it. Normally I can just use the recovery console to fix this issue but this time nothing worked.

EDIT: Ok, here's an update on my situation. I'm currently getting a DHCP based ip address from my router (192.168.1.100) but when I try to access the recovery console at http://192.168.1.1 I get an address is not valid error in IE8 on Windows XP and I get an 'Error 102: The server refused the connection' in Chrome on Windows XP, Windows 7 x86, and Windows 7 64-bit. Now I am even more confused. I'll try some more when I get back home.
Sponsor
CodeMonkeyJay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 16:35    Post subject: Maybe I Just Suck Reply with quote
I went to change firmware on my WRT610Nv1 and didn't notice my wireless radio was on. Windows picked that instead of the wire and I bricked it. I'm in the same boat as CCRL. I've tried every method to get into the management page 100 times but I can't seem to get it. One of them (I think doing a 30/30/30) will give me a IP address through DHCP. Other than that, I see the pings, I've tried Linksys' TFTP program (with various firmwares above and below 3.8MB), and I've tried on Linux and Windows 7 (don't have an XP box anywhere). And the WLAN never turns on.

EDIT: After a TFTP flash ("successful"), the error I get from http://192.168.1.1 is a connection refused, but after restarting, it's just an operation timed out error. So something is happening somewhere.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow the steps, sequentially, in the peacock announcement note 6.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
CodeMonkeyJay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 18:00    Post subject: No Go Reply with quote
So, I re-followed all the steps and tried all the links to various other methods people have posts.

With one computer plugged in, with static IP/subnet, right after booting, I get 4-5 ping responses, TTL=100, then "Request timed out" with some spattering "Destination host unreachable." The LAN LED blinks with activity. The power LED blinks for about 30s, then stays solid.

The prominent FWs I'm trying are: Linksys' official, and dd-wrt.v24_13577_mini_usb_ftp_wrt610n.bin (17990 was over 3.8MB). I had a v24 mega on it prior to bricking.

Still no dice with http://192.168.1.1 in management mode.

Thanks in advance for any time and assistance.

EDIT: after flashing, the ping's TTL=100 responses continue indefinitely, (EDIT2) as does the power light blinking.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you get ttl=100 either:

1. You are not flashing properly - See note 11 of peacock for tftp.
2. You are flashing the wrong build for your router - See note 4 of the peacock for builds and what to flash.
3. You have corrupted something with a bad flash and need a cable to fix it. See the links at the end note 6 for serial and jtag options.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
CodeMonkeyJay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52    Post subject: Serial Fixed It Reply with quote
Yep, looks like the flash messed it up good. Had a friend rig it up to a serial port for me and reflashed Linksys official, then DD-WRT. I tried OpenWRT (just to see it), but couldn't get it to find any Broadcom devices on the router. But, in the end, flashed an old labeled mini then updated. Thanks for all the help.
CodeMonkeyJay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 4MB firmware limit only applied to TFTPing it, I think. As soon as I got to the recovery management page, the original Linksys firmware worked every time (I bricked it several times playing with stuff after learning how to recover it). My first thought would be to double check the router version and the firmware you're trying to put on. Linksys's site is a little mixed up sometimes and used to post the wrong firmware for the 610N (would post V1 for V2 or vice versa).
boktot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:39    Post subject: Thanks to Chix and EKO for this thread.. Reply with quote
This thread solved my problem, I had a Linksys WRT610N Bricked. I made my router back to life with this thread. I almost gave up until I found this thread was Chix that gave me hope and convinced me that i could fix it by means of his solution but fortunately i wasn't doing his solution instead I tried first what EKO's solution. Press reset 2sec after power in and hold it for 5sec and release reset button then connect the ethernet cable. and it took me a few tries until i perfected EKO's solution and finally Firmware Upgrade Management pops in for me and finally restore my DD-WRT610N. Thanks to EKO you the Man!! I did try Chix solution for curiosity and it was also successful in few tries. but it was more risky than the timing solution of EKO.. Thanks to both of you guys.. So its your choiced which solution do you prefer.. Thanks and More Power DD-WRT. Cool Cool

Best Regards,
Boky
masterpete
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi i need help pls
i tried to flash my wrt 610n v2 to e3000. while doing.
i flashed cfe but after i flashed dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin it reboots an after an hour all LEDs are blinking.
Now i turn it off and all LED still blinking.

I tried to unbrick by pin8 and 9
the power led still blinks after connecting cable the port is on but i cant access 192.168.1.1
any hint?
jlg89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 20:04    Post subject: Re: Debricking ... Reply with quote
petrusko wrote:

(snip)

* I've opened the router
* pull power out
* shorted 8-9 ping
* plug power
* keep it shorted for 5s
* release the "short"

(snip)

He's talking about the chip on the underside of the board, which you access by opening up the unit, disconnecting all six antennas, and pulling the board. Note that you don't short pins 8 & 9, it's actually pins 16 & 17. Apparently he's counting from the bottom-left corner of the chip instead of the top left (pin 1 is marked with a divot). FWIW, shorting 16-17 in this way was the only way I was able to unbrick my WRT610Nv1 and access the web utility. At that point I was able to upload the latest broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt610n.bin (in this case 33555) and it seems to be happy now.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
no...it could be 8-9....it depends on the flash chip.

It's still not a good practice though.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: