quick question - after upgrade, config restore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
killswitx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 16:29    Post subject: quick question - after upgrade, config restore Reply with quote
hi,

i dont usually like to play around with flashing the router once its done its done for years, but this krack in security didn't leave me sleeping so peacefully i have been forced to do upgrade.

So the question is: i choosed 33555 kong build,... did erase nvram then upgraded throgh GUI with factory reset after the reboot (option selected). straight after that i went to restore the backed up config did reboot and working back as previous. everything looks good so far. my question is. Is perfectly ok/usual to do config restore after or can i expect any issues in the future ?

so far so good after 25mins.
my router is netgear r7000 and i had previously installed v3.0 r29875M kongac (06/11/26) build.

thanks
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, restore with backup file from another build is not advised at all, just the lazy ppl are doing it and than start to complain after time...
The normal way is, with an old build where there might be a lot of changes since, in memory locations, kernel updates, ect. then you do erase nvram via telnet or ssh, than upgrade to the new build, erase nvram and rebuild settings manually ... but some ppl take the risk, so if its working its working....
with broadcom routers erase nvram is not that important before, but after Smile

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
killswitx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
so effectively erasing nvram and then restoring nvram.bak...is like not doing reset at all.. ?

sure if something happens in the future i will just erase nvram and build everything manually and i should be fine is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: