Everything you Ever Wanted to know about XBox connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
mohbandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 15:14    Post subject: @ autobot Reply with quote
after fully reading my post do you still think its worth a shot to use your miniupnp?

I was reading farther into the wireless bridge limitations http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Limitations and it seems that tlj2 thinks the bridge provides "bare minimum" functionality.

I was using the wrt300n-specific firmware, but i guess that one was specific for just flashing. I'll try the "Xbox no-kaid Generic" when i get home.

If all else fails, I may try switching the primary and bridge router locations around (move the modem as well, since coax is already run).
Sponsor
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if miniupnp will help but it won't hurt, switching the routers could help. Or you can setup the router connected to the xbox as a repeater bridge. I have specifically read that SP1 and client bridging doesn't work. So that firmware needs updated, and there is a known high risk exploit in every firmware version below 130XX.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
mohbandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27    Post subject: @ all Reply with quote
well not sure this is the answer people are looking for or not but i was able to get both open with the total slack answer.

First i tried updating the firmware, then tried a repeater bridge (which for gaming wasn't the solution i was looking for cus of the halfing of the bandwidth). Both of these still didn't give me the open NAT. So finally i moved my modem's location around such that all devices wanting an open NAT connect to the primary router.

This was a little less desirable just cus of how the other computers in the house connect primarily to the bridge then the primary but o well - everything is at least working in some fashion!

*edit
For what its worth i did change which router was my primary cus i like the way the 160N looks vs the 300N which is stored in a closet.
lordcy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I posted on another thread but this is my issue with the XBOX 360 media streaming/sharing. My PC is Windows XP Pro SP3. My current problem is i'm unable to share media from my PC to my XBOX 360. I am able to log into XBOX Live fully. This is my current setup:

XBOX 360 (192.168.1.120) is connected via CAT5 to a LaFonera router flashed with dd-wrt. It is setup to client bridge mode using the most recent dd-wrt software.

The LaFonera (192.168.1.2) is connected wirelessly to my Netgear WNDR3300 router which is flashed with dd-wrt (v24-sp2 (04/30/09) mini).

The Netgear WNDR3300 (192.168.1.1) is connected via CAT5 to my cable modem. It is setup in AP mode.

My PC (192.168.1.124) is connected wirelessly to the Netgear WNDR3300 router with a D-Link usb wireless adapter.

The reason i'm able to connect XBOX Live fully is because I enabled DMZ on my main Netgear router to the IP 192.168.1.120 (XBOX 360). This allowed XBOX Live to connect fully. I have very little networking experience but I thought if my PC and XBOX 360 are on the same subnet (192.168.1.?) then they would be able to see each other. Using WMP 11, i'm able to see my XBOX 360 under the Media Sharing settings. When I try to find my PC from the XBOX 360, it doesn't come up even after 30 seconds on the search. If what i'm trying to do is impossible, please let me know. I would appreciate some detailed instructions on what to do next if someone has a working setup like this. Thanks in advance.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00    Post subject: Re: @ all Reply with quote
mohbandy wrote:
well not sure this is the answer people are looking for or not but i was able to get both open with the total slack answer.

What is this supposed to mean?

mohbandy wrote:

First i tried updating the firmware, then tried a repeater bridge (which for gaming wasn't the solution i was looking for cus of the halfing of the bandwidth).

You must have fast internet for this to be an issue.

BrainSlayer Builds

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ lordcy

Have you allowed the connection in windows media player for your 360?

BrainSlayer Builds

lordcy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Autobot,

Yes. Under the Media Sharing in WMP 11 I have found the XBOX 360 and enabled/allowed it for sharing. I do have a slight update but the sharing is still not working for my setup. I noticed if I left the xbox search go on for around 5-6 minutes or so and came back that the XBOX 360 found my PC. When I try to complete the connection though, I still get the normal error messages about the connection (if that information is needed, please let me know and i'll post it). Could this be some kind of timeout problem? I really don't know... Sad
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordcy wrote:
Autobot,

Yes. Under the Media Sharing in WMP 11 I have found the XBOX 360 and enabled/allowed it for sharing. I do have a slight update but the sharing is still not working for my setup. I noticed if I left the xbox search go on for around 5-6 minutes or so and came back that the XBOX 360 found my PC. When I try to complete the connection though, I still get the normal error messages about the connection (if that information is needed, please let me know and i'll post it). Could this be some kind of timeout problem? I really don't know... Sad
Loricy,

Make sure that your Network is marked as "Private" under "Network & Sharing Center" in Windows. If using Vista, go to Network and Sharking Center and click on "Customize". Make sure the "Private" option button is checked. This may be the solution to the problem you are having.
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Xbox connection issue....

I am very new here, but I have done plenty of reading on the wiki and on this forum. I posted this in the WRT160Nv3 forum as well. I appreciate everything you guys do here. The other day I donated a small about (what I could afford) to help this site (I am not a freeloader).

My issue..
I have a "WRT160Nv3" with the "mini - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6" firmware loaded and it seems to work fine. But, when streaming a video from a laptop to my xbox360 (after about 2 minutes of watching the video), the router seems to "hang" where all wireless devices can't communicate with the router. Then after 30 seconds or so, the router reboots (i think) and I can reconnect the wireless devices. This didn't happen with the Linksys firmware. Anyone know why this is and how to fix this issue?

I had the build 13309 loaded before. But, when I noticed this same issue, I tried upgrading to 13575M in hopes of fixing ut. However, the upgrade didn't fix it. However, the newer build allows me to watch the video a little longer. With build 13309, I couldn't even play the video as the "hanging" would start as soon as I hit play. With build 13575M, the video will play for a few minutes before the "hang".

Any help would be appreciated. I really want to continue using the firmware as I do notice some connection speed increase. But, I always stream videos to my 360 and want to continue doing so.

Again, Thanks in advance.
mohbandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Re: @ autobot Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
mohbandy wrote:

What is this supposed to mean?

mohbandy wrote:

First i tried updating the firmware, then tried a repeater bridge (which for gaming wasn't the solution i was looking for cus of the halfing of the bandwidth).

You must have fast internet for this to be an issue.

By the first I meant that I didn't really fix the issue, I just found a work-around. By moving the hardware around I was able to achieve what I wanted but never got the open NAT accomplished when connecting through the bridge router.

As for the 2nd comment, your probably right I wouldn't notice a difference. But when it comes to my gamings I need all the help I can get!
Phonix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 17:19    Post subject: Hi i'm having trouble with bridge can anyone help? Reply with quote
I am able to go to windows live have all the settings automatic gateway,DNS,WAN,ip everything is cool only that the xbox360 not communicating with my laptop which have the media center installed

1.i use Dir-300 as
the bridge with dd-wrt firm.

2.i use WRT610Nv1 as AP

bridging is working i don't see any problems that can cause that port forwarding done firewall is off thanks. Laughing
lordcy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwdyem2001,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Wouldn't I need a username/password to VPN into the XBOX 360? I am using Windows XP, could you explain more? Thanks in advance.
Phonix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 13:17    Post subject: Me again Reply with quote
i'm using win7 and i dont think that i need to vpn to the xbox360 cause direct connection with cable for example is working with no problems
the problem is:
1.network connection working great.
2.windows live connection working great.
3.PC connection NOT WORKING AT ALL
4.windows media center connection NOT WORKING AT ALL

conclusion: i have an internal problem that i cannot determine what it is firewall in all Accsesspoint, windows,and Bridge is off ports are open but no connection from xbox360 to my laptop
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've created a wiki page to guide those who are setting up their 360's:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Configuring_for_Xbox_360

Maybe this wiki page can ease the flow of 360 questions posted here. Following these instructions I think most people should be able to get their 360's working fine using DD-WRT.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
Phonix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:17    Post subject: Thank's man for the reply Reply with quote
I've did all those things already before since network performance was a bit low so i set Qos,open ports,and also Upnp i have connection to the internet and windows live no connection between XBOX360 to LAPTOP WITH MEDIA CENTER another thing i didn't mention is
that i can ping from my laptop to my extender bridge router in that case dlink dir-300 got reply and no packet lost i am not using 192.168.1.xx
i am using 172.20.0.xx but i find it hard to believe its effecting
thx.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: