Everything you Ever Wanted to know about XBox connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordcy wrote:
dwdyem2001,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Wouldn't I need a username/password to VPN into the XBOX 360? I am using Windows XP, could you explain more? Thanks in advance.
No, if you mark your network as private in windows, you are basically telling windows that your network is a secure network that is allowed to share files freely (which is what you need to do to play videos and files on your xbox from your PC). Try it. I think it may fix your issue.
Sponsor
Phonix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30    Post subject: Guys i dont have a problem with premmisions or sharing Reply with quote
this looks like pure network/vlan problem that one client could not communicate with another client inside one network altough both can have accsess to the internet
lordcy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwdyem2001,

I'm willing to try anything to get my media streaming onto my 360 from my desktop. Using the setup I have now, I'm able to stream media onto my 360. (Laptop connected via CAT5 to main router instead of my desktop connected wirelessly to my main router.) However, the laptop setup is not what I was trying to accomplish. I am using Windows XP. Can you explain step by step on how to setup my network for "private". I have googled it but the only thing that comes up is VPN which is different from what you are talking about. Thanks.

Also from the lack of responses in here regarding my setup, it seems pretty clear that it probably isn't possible to do what I was trying to do. I'll continue to try anything that somebody suggests but I believe the wireless issue is too much to overcome for streaming media to the 360. Thanks to everyone who suggested something.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordcy wrote:

I'm willing to try anything to get my media streaming onto my 360 from my desktop. Using the setup I have now, I'm able to stream media onto my 360. (Laptop connected via CAT5 to main router instead of my desktop connected wirelessly to my main router.) However, the laptop setup is not what I was trying to accomplish.

Client Bridge doesn't work well between an Atheros based device as the LaFonera and a Broadcom based device like the WNDR3300.
This may be the reason why the XBox has problem seeing the media server on your PC.

Are you using the 5GHz radio for the desktop wireless connection or is it connected to the same radio in the Netgear as the LaFonera, ie the 2.4GHz 802.11g ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 14:16    Post subject: Lordcy for me problem with wireless dir-300 dd-wrt firmware Reply with quote
Im having problem with wireless dir-300 dd-wrt firmware not
I do not think that i got you right but as far as i know you need to have microsoft ZONE installed with windows xp cause win xp support in media center is quite lame and you also need xp SP3 to use media center but the best thing will be to use windows 7 or vista and to reconfig extender in there when i used a CAT5 cable everything worked great...
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
All those who are having sharing problems:

Disable or uninstall ALL firewalls before you start testing. Many firewalls, even when configured to allow media sharing traffic, block it anyway! I spent many hours trying to figure out why my 360 couldn't see my wireless laptop when I discovered that even though I enabled UPnP and allowed all traffic within the network that the firewall continued to block it.

I will probably add this to the wiki entry when I get a few minutes.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
lordcy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM,

I'm using 802.11g for all wireless. I do have my router set to b/g mixed because some of my laptops have only b wireless internal cards. I also do always try it with the windows firewall disabled as for the most part it doesn't work with it on. Like I said before, when I run a cable the 360 finds the pc but over two wireless connections (one from my pc to the main router and the other from the main router to my secondary router), it just doesn't seem to work.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordcy wrote:
LOM,

I'm using 802.11g for all wireless. I do have my router set to b/g mixed because some of my laptops have only b wireless internal cards. I also do always try it with the windows firewall disabled as for the most part it doesn't work with it on. Like I said before, when I run a cable the 360 finds the pc but over two wireless connections (one from my pc to the main router and the other from the main router to my secondary router), it just doesn't seem to work.

802.11g is 54MBps connection speed which also equals peak speed.
A good wifi connection will usually give you a sustained speed of around 40% of the connection speed, around 20-23MBps.
Divide that by two since your Neatger radio has to talk with both your LaFonera and your PC and you have a media streaming speed of 10-11MBps, that is too low for stutter-free video streaming.

There you have the reason why it works when your PC has a wired connection to the Neatgear, your Client Bridge link can then use all of the wifi bandwidth.

(22MBps is still too low for streaming hi-def videos).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:38    Post subject: Anyhow i would like to see it working Reply with quote
Then I'll decide if its to slow and maybe few parameters can help increase the bandwidth like using xbox features and 40Mhz turbo mode with net cable it's working wireless doesn't work at all f*** i don't have any firewall only windows firewall and it's off totally no service is running even.

can someone tell me if they in the same network same sub what can be blocking i didn't get into the sharing part yet since i didn't find my media center computer
Hidden_Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got the same issue with media sharing and windows 7, works fine if I plug my xbox directly in to my laptop with Windows Firewall enabled.

When I connect through the AP using the official microsoft adaptor, regardless of firewall settings it fails to connect.

My PC can see the xbox fine in the network map feature in windows so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to have multicast enabled for media sharing to work, but I don't know why it wouldn't be able to do this.

Thanks guys

EDIT: By the way, this is on a Linksys WRT300n v1
digitalos_ger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:10    Post subject: xbox (classic) systemlink hint Reply with quote
dako wrote:
Does anyone know if I have to enable a setting o do something special to play with System Link?

I've got two Xboxes with CoD: Modern Warfare 2, each one connected to a router (one as main, the other set as a repeater-bridge).

I'm able to create a game room, but the other Xbox is unable to join, giving me an error (Unable to connect to the host, not very descriptive).

No idea what it could be, Live works on both Xboxes (meaning I've got internet and ports are working), and even enabled uPnP (though it shouldn't do much, since I'm playing locally).

Any ideas Surprised?

Idea Question
First of all - congrats 2 all people working on this astonishing piece of software (dd-wrt) and a big THX!
So ill try to contribute something:

I read in this thread about s.o. having problems getting XBOX Systemlink to work over wireless client-bridge. I don´t know if this is only a prob of the xbox-classic or affects the 360, too.

I read somwhere in the net (sry - did not find the source again):
In Systemlink Mode the XBOXes all have the IP 0.0.0.1 and communicate directly over their MAC-Adresses.
So because the wireless client-bridge mode does NOT (i hope it´s not only my firmware-version - then sry)
transparently guide the mac-adresses of the lan-devices to the main ap. The (at the bridge) attached lan-devices all have the mac-adress of the bridge itself.
This has the effect that you can "see" systemlink games but not join them.

I am very sorry - I did NOT find a solution for this.
Maybe "Mac-Cloning" should work but i didn´t manage to get it to.
Just wanted to post the info that nobody has to trouble around with firewall or ip options.

Maybe this could help to solve this Problem.

Regards, Chris.

(PS: Sry for my bad english - it has been a while since i wrote in english)
Hidden_Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah I have heard similar things in the past before about how system link works.
mohbandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
In regards to system link issues...

I believe using the client bridge caused all of the systems to report the same MAC address. I tried using the repeater bridge and client bridge approach and neither works.

The only way I could get system link to work was if i connected all the xboxes to the same router (so no bridge in the mix. Does anyone know why the bridge routers have issues with connectivity? As digitalos_ger said, I am able to see system link games but can not join. The xbox will attempt to connect 4 times or so and then bails. Once the xboxes were connected to the same router, any attempt to join a game was immediately ACK'd.

It appears as if the bridges support internet connectivity but do not fully support the xbox system link.
Lushamania
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
mohbandy wrote:
In regards to system link issues...

I believe using the client bridge caused all of the systems to report the same MAC address. I tried using the repeater bridge and client bridge approach and neither works.

The only way I could get system link to work was if i connected all the xboxes to the same router (so no bridge in the mix. Does anyone know why the bridge routers have issues with connectivity? As digitalos_ger said, I am able to see system link games but can not join. The xbox will attempt to connect 4 times or so and then bails. Once the xboxes were connected to the same router, any attempt to join a game was immediately ACK'd.

It appears as if the bridges support internet connectivity but do not fully support the xbox system link.

I'm glad I read this thread. I posted about my System Link issues here, but there just doesn't seem to be a resolution just yet.

I'll try to see if MAC address cloning will work, but it may take me a few days to relay the results (I don't have double copies of any Xbox game).
Elezar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem that several other people have mentioned, where the media sharing wasn't working. I did some checks with Wireshark on both sides of the bridge, and I could see that the SSDP packets weren't making it across the bridge. Considering I had bought this router specifically to have one that was DD-WRT compatible, so I could use for this purpose, it was very frustrating.

After fighting with it for almost 2 full days, I finally got it working with the craziest solution. I unchecked the "Assign WAN port to switch" option. I have no clue why that helped. Maybe having the extra VLAN in the bridge caused some confusion. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but it was a completely reproducible solution for me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: