Everything you Ever Wanted to know about XBox connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
edrikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zelda wrote:
good luck. I dont understand how it just works. its complete garbage. I have tried everything. UPNP, manual ip set, port triggering, dmz and i have reset the modem, router a dozen times.
I am using a wrt54gv4 I have been unable to get this to work period. I have comcast too, if that matters. any more suggestions?

Just since you feel/may have tried all things with dd-wrt... Have you considered trying Tomato firmware to see if it works for you?

Report back if you try it and it works...
Sponsor
Zelda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heres a thought. I have a old switch. Would putting both xboxs on the switch and then connecting the switch to the router, and putting it in DMZ work and just attaching both xboxs to the switch work?
pictureaday
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zelda wrote:
Heres a thought. I have a old switch. Would putting both xboxs on the switch and then connecting the switch to the router, and putting it in DMZ work and just attaching both xboxs to the switch work?

Switch is hardware, it does not get assigned an ip. It would almost identical to just having both xbox's directly connected to the router.

I would either manually port forward the important ports to one xbox and put the other in the DMZ or I would enable upnp. Doing those have both worked for me in the past with 2 xboxes.
ak4d7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am a little confused, I understand some people would have some problems with using different hardware then mine but i have never had any problems with setting up a router for my xbox as a repeater at all. I have however had problems trying the dual wan scripts with Xbox LIVE. It just doesn't work..Any one else has had this problem?
infinity2134
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having trouble with my asus-n12 setup. I am using it as a "client" to connect to xbox live. It connects to live and the internet fine but will not connect to my laptops for media steaming. I have two laptops one running xp and the other running 7. Neither of them can see the xbox when I enable file sharing. Any ideas on what to do and what settings might fix the problem? Thanks in advance.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
got_milk wrote:
I'll start, I guess. :P

Port forwarding - the following ports must be open for Xbox Live to function correctly:

80: TCP/UDP
3074: TCP/UDP
53: TCP/UDP
88: UDP

OR you can use UPnP which will open the ports automatically and ensure an open NAT, which is essential.

EDIT: barryware has noted that only ports 3074 and 88 open appear to work in his setup...feel free to try that and if Live doesn't function correctly try opening up the rest of the ports.

I did some research in regards to port 80 & 53 needing to be forwarded.. It is not necessaary for xbox live. Only ports 3074 & 88.

"80 and 53 are actually for connections that are outbound, so they don’t require port forwarding. Port 80 is the standard webserver port and 53 is DNS. Again, for NAT these don’t need to be forwarded, just the 3074 UDP, 3074 TCP, and 88 UDP ports."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Howdy forum,

I posted this in the main Broadcom forum, as I originally missed this thread. Re-posting it here.

I have an issue that I'm *completely* stumped on. I've run various builds of dd-wrt to see if the build is the issue, but all the builds I've tried suffer in exactly the same way, so I'll post this as though I am using build 14929 (The recommended build).

I'm using OpenDNS's DNS servers, and using dnsmasq and the following firewall rules (To prevent any other DNS server being used on my network):

Firewall:
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

Additional dnsmasq options:
Code:
no-resolv
strict-order
server=208.67.222.222
server=208.67.220.220
server=208.67.222.220

As per the wiki article on setting up dnsmasq.

With those rules in place, I get constant disconnects from xbox live, especially when streaming netflix.

If I remove them, the disconnects stop happening. I am really quite new to this, and I'm just starting to understand what's going on, but these disconnects make no sense to me.

Anyone have any ideas that might help?

EDIT: Link to my thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=149796

EDIT 2: It's definitely the rules I'm adding to my firewall. WIthout them everything works just fine. With them, disconnects all the time.
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just assign your console a static IP or reserved DHCP and put it in a DMZ. No need to forward any traffic.
bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
wats6831 wrote:
Just assign your console a static IP or reserved DHCP and put it in a DMZ. No need to forward any traffic.

That's not a solution. I have three 360's, each connected to live (And sometimes each playing online games/netflix at the same time). I *need* to run it with UPnP.

And I'm not having trouble with NAT or anything else. I'm having trouble restricting the DNS servers available on my LAN to just OpenDNS. When I enable those rules in my firewall, I get connection drops *regardless of how I connect and configure the xbox 360's*.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
bmupton wrote:
wats6831 wrote:

That's not a solution. I have three 360's, each connected to live (And sometimes each playing online games/netflix at the same time). I *need* to run it with UPnP.

And I'm not having trouble with NAT or anything else. I'm having trouble restricting the DNS servers available on my LAN to just OpenDNS. When I enable those rules in my firewall, I get connection drops *regardless of how I connect and configure the xbox 360's*.

just curious.. why is using opendns a requirement? Realize that their dns servers are very busy because the whole world uses them. it could be that opendns can't handle the back & forth throughput that online gaming & streaming requires... Just a thought..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
bmupton wrote:
wats6831 wrote:

just curious.. why is using opendns a requirement? Realize that their dns servers are very busy because the whole world uses them. it could be that opendns can't handle the back & forth throughput that online gaming & streaming requires... Just a thought..

They work fine if I don't add the rules to force use them (and my boxes all use their dns as that's what dhcp tells them to use) its just that when I add those rules to make sure the client is using opendns that it falls apart.

I also tested but used my isp dns servers, and got the same disconnect issue.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: