Routers that will and won't support VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Dark_Shadow! I will add the credit for you on the first post.

phuzi0n was helping me organizing and seeing a better way to test funcionality.

LOM also said he tried to put this info on "Supported devices", but wiki background didn't helped. His post here was deleted somehow..
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:

LOM also said he tried to put this info on "Supported devices", but wiki background didn't helped. His post here was deleted somehow..

The wiki edit posts were split out of this thread and moved to the General forum.
I didn't try to put the LAN switch info into the Supported Devices wiki page, there is just not room for it there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, misundertood then..

Great work guys!
c.caldwell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anybody know if WRT310N is supported for vlan yet or has anybody found away to get it to work on this model?
Christian Caldwell
Chief of Information and Technology Services
The Brotherhood
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
It should be supported, but as I said on the first post, don't trust webgui, do it using telnet or SSH.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
So anything listed above "BCM53115 switch" the GUI as well as telnet can be used to configure, where as anything listed below "BCM53115 switch" in the supported section should only use telnet?

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
cdrom1028
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20    Post subject: K2.6 Configuration Reply with quote
Does any one know if the commands:

insmod switch-core
insmod switch-robo

still apply to the K2.6 code set?

1x WRT610n v1 - 14929 - K2.6 - std_usb_ftp
1x WRT610n v2 - 14929 - K2.6 - big
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Dark_Shadow: Well, I used the GUI with my WRT54GL, but as phuzi0n advised, telnet/SSH is more reliable for configuring vlans.

@cdrom1028: I can't confirm that, but try it and post results Wink
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you say "All G spec routers supported by dd-wrt" does this include the G2 and GS2?

Also

phuzi0n wrote:

It's a messy read because VLAN support is a messy topic. Lately I've come to the conclusion that gigabit models do have functional VLAN's but they have to set the nvram variable for the hardware name like I do on my wrt300n v1.1. So to summarize it, I think if you see a VLAN page then you do indeed have full VLAN support but you may have to get your hands dirty with the nvram variables to get it to do what you want. Most Broadcom hardware does have VLAN's but the BCM4704 is one notable chip that doesn't and is included in a lot of the cheap/old N spec models.

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I had this doubt once, but the answers aren't clear.

See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61534
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's quite clear, if the router is neutered (ie 2MB flash) then it really shouldn't support vlans regardless of the switch due to space restrictions. If one needs vlan support it really should be with a better router.

I have done some research and the BCM4705 cpu routers I have found have the BCM5395 switch. And the 600n v1.0 & v1.1 has a BCM5397 switch. I have been trying to keep up with this and I started with a copy of your wiki page, here is mine.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/VLAN_Support_-_Routers_that_will_and_won%27t

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is sick! Is this site yours? I was there a minute ago to confirm if WRT54G v3 had jtag port, great work!

I said it wasn't clear because I didn't see "yes, it's supported", but you're probably right about eliminating based on flash size.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
This is sick! Is this site yours? I was there a minute ago to confirm if WRT54G v3 had jtag port, great work!

I said it wasn't clear because I didn't see "yes, it's supported", but you're probably right about eliminating based on flash size.
yup it's mine, I am working on getting away from those supported charts on my wiki so that all the individual info can be posted on the routers page.

"This is sick!" thx Very Happy

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
So anything listed above "BCM53115 switch" the GUI as well as telnet can be used to configure, where as anything listed below "BCM53115 switch" in the supported section should only use telnet?

Just ignore the list entirely because it's not accurate. We won't have an accurate list until people test every model. I think I've explained the nvram variables sufficiently for people to start testing support using the nvram variables, granted it can be a PITA especially if you mess up and have to reset... The nvram variables should always work if the hardware supports VLAN's.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

One thing I discovered is that even on models with older switches like BCM5325 (wrt300n v1.1), the VLAN GUI does not function with a k2.6 build. I had noticed that /proc/switch isn't created on k2.6 builds and I just realized that it's because the switch-core and switch-robo modules aren't loaded. The /proc/switch directory is used to control the live VLAN configuration (ie. without rebooting) whereas the nvram variables are read by the switch driver upon boot. Previous comments in this thread indicate that loading these two modules allowed the live configuration to be changed but that it was lost after a reboot in which case you would still want to configure the nvram variables manually. I'll experiment with the kernel modules to verify this...

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can test with the models I have, but I don't have much.

WRT54GL - configured using webgui, in use, I can't touch it. I've post the logs you asked, are they ok?

WRT54G-TM - I can test, but I don't think will worth

WRT54G v3 - Bought today, if fixable, will test

WRT310N v1 - Currently bricked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: