Routers that will and won't support VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I can test with the models I have, but I don't have much.

WRT54GL - configured using webgui, in use, I can't touch it. I've post the logs you asked, are they ok?

WRT54G-TM - I can test, but I don't think will worth

WRT54G v3 - Bought today, if fixable, will test

WRT310N v1 - Currently bricked

Didn't you actually have to set the "t" in the nvram variables to tag your trunked VLAN's? I don't think the GUI does that on any model/firmware variation.

The first 3 models all have BCM5325 switches that ought to work, but the wrt310n is the questionable one of the bunch.

Sponsor
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Here is:

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan | sort
size: 24061 bytes (8707 left)
bridgesif=br1>eth1>63 br1>vlan3>63
dtag_vlan8=0
lan_default=vlan0 eth1 eth2 eth3
port0vlans=2 3 4 5 16 18 19
port1vlans=2 18 19
port2vlans=3 18 19
port3vlans=4 18 19
port4vlans=5 18 19
port5vlans=2 3 4 5 16
rc_startup=route add default gw 192.168.75.1 dev vlan5
vlan0_bridged=1
vlan0_mtu=1500
vlan0_multicast=0
vlan0_nat=1
vlan0hwname=et0
vlan0ports=3 2 1 0 5*
vlan1_bridged=1
vlan1_mtu=1500
vlan1_multicast=0
vlan1_nat=1
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=4 5
vlan2_bridged=1
vlan2_mtu=1500
vlan2_multicast=0
vlan2_nat=1
vlan3_bridged=1
vlan3_mtu=1500
vlan3_multicast=0
vlan3_nat=1
vlan4_bridged=1
vlan4_mtu=1500
vlan4_multicast=0
vlan4_nat=1
vlan5_bridged=0
vlan5_ipaddr=192.168.75.2
vlan5_mtu=1500
vlan5_multicast=0
vlan5_nat=0
vlan5_netmask=255.255.255.0
vlan_tagcount=0
vlan_tags=
vlans=1
wl0_vlan_prio_mode=off

Here's my log, what I know is it's working that way. When I fix the wrt310n I'll be happy to test.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Just ignore the list entirely because it's not accurate. We won't have an accurate list until people test every model. I think I've explained the nvram variables sufficiently for people to start testing support using the nvram variables, granted it can be a PITA especially if you mess up and have to reset... The nvram variables should always work if the hardware supports VLAN's.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

One thing I discovered is that even on models with older switches like BCM5325 (wrt300n v1.1), the VLAN GUI does not function with a k2.6 build. I had noticed that /proc/switch isn't created on k2.6 builds and I just realized that it's because the switch-core and switch-robo modules aren't loaded. The /proc/switch directory is used to control the live VLAN configuration (ie. without rebooting) whereas the nvram variables are read by the switch driver upon boot. Previous comments in this thread indicate that loading these two modules allowed the live configuration to be changed but that it was lost after a reboot in which case you would still want to configure the nvram variables manually. I'll experiment with the kernel modules to verify this...

So do you have any confirmations ? I will look through the link you provided and see how I can test the models I have.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
root@Asus520GU:~# nvram show | grep vlan.ports
vlan0ports=1 2 3 4 5*
size: 20388 bytes (12380 left)
vlan1ports=0 5
root@Asus520GU:~# nvram show | grep port.vlans
port5vlans=0 1 16
port3vlans=0
port1vlans=0
port4vlans=0
port2vlans=0
port0vlans=1
root@Asus520GU:~# nvram show | grep vlan.hwname
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan0hwname=et0

Output from Asus WL520gU, VLANs working fine with it.

Will test WL500gP v2 as well, pretty sure phuzi0n got the WRT320N covered, still unsure about WNDR3300, will test that later..

Edit: i also have a few other units i could test as well, but i already know they work with it... Netgear WGR614L, WRT54G v3 and v4, the next 2 i need to really test though would be my RT-N16 and WNDR3300.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
So do you have any confirmations ? I will look through the link you provided and see how I can test the models I have.

Yes I can confirm functional VLAN's including trunking for wrt54gs v2.0, wrt300n v1.1, and wrt320n (thanks to buddee).

The wndr3300 has a 4704 CPU so if it does support VLAN's then it's going to require more work than just setting some nvram variables because it doesn't create any by default. There are a couple posts that indicate wrt160n v1.x can do VLAN's with some extra work, so I'll have to dig up those posts again and see what they did.

When you test VLAN's you need to try to reconfigure them with the nvram variables. Put a port into the WAN VLAN and see if it starts functioning as a WAN port, add a port to a new VLAN and after rebooting set up the VLAN with an IP and DHCP on the networking page, and if you have multiple VLAN capable routers then try to make a trunk between them with at least 2 tagged VLAN's on each and make sure both VLAN's can communicate with a single cable using the trunk ports.

Trunking is a rather high level concept and it hasn't really been explained in detail in any guides that I'm aware of so that might be tough to test yet. I hope I explained it decently on the switch ports page but I do plan on writing a guide to extend multiple WLAN's with a VLAN trunk. I'm just not sure how exactly I want to write it with all the variety of nvram variables that can exist and the nonfunctional VLAN GUI on all k2.6 builds...

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmation of WNR3500L: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77865
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish I could do more for this thread, I feel bad for all the work and contribution from you guys give, and me, nothing..

Let me know if I'm useful in any way..

Thanks phuzi0n, Dark_Shadow and buddee!
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is what I got thus far, The full page can be viewed here. phuzi0n, can you comment on the list? Anything you can confirm or deny?

=Routers that WILL support VLAN=

* All G spec routers supported by dd-wrt (waiting for confirmation)

===BCM5325 switch===

* Linksys WRT160N v3.0 (latest build) (waiting for confirmation)

===BCM53115 switch===
You will have to add these lines to Startup Script:

Code:
 insmod switch-core
 insmod switch-robo

and don't trust the webgui, use telnet/ssh to set them (specifically for this switch).

* Asus RT-N16 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT320N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT610N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT610N v2.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Netgear WNR3500L Confirmed(Ref)
* Netgear WNR3500v2/U (waiting for confirmation)

=Routers that WON'T support VLAN=
===BCM5395 switch===

* Linksys WRT150N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT150N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT160N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT160N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT300N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)

===BCM5397 switch===

* Linksys WRT310N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT350N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT600N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT600N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
=Routers that WON'T support VLAN=
===BCM5395 switch===

* Linksys WRT150N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT150N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT160N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT160N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT300N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)

===BCM5397 switch===

* Linksys WRT310N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT350N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT600N v1.0 (waiting for confirmation)
* Linksys WRT600N v1.1 (waiting for confirmation)

You've mucked up the switch chips in these lists.

The italic models all have VLAN interfaces by default afaik so they need to be tested to see if they can be reconfigured. It is very likely that they can.

The others all have 4704 CPU's which need deeper investigation.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes i am finding out that the WNDR3300 is some work to get VLANs working with it properly, did some tests with it last night and a few today, no luck, i really need a weekend to throw at it though, not enough time to cram all this into a few hrs.

Also before i try this, and waste alot of time doing so, you guys know if Atheros has any kind of VLAN support? I have a WRT160NL and WRT400N i can throw at these tests as well.

Edit: hell with it, im about to break out the closet stash of routers, shitloads, i feel this is a good topic and we should establish some kind of solid VLAN supported router list.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
opensolutions wrote:
odiug wrote:
On a Netgear WNR3500 v2 (bcm4718 (wlan) + bcm53115 (gb-switch)) running with 'build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko' it "isolates" the port(s) you put in a separate vlan and it seems that no communication is possible, also when i assign a second or third port to that same vlan i even can't ping to other devices on those ports.

thank you for this working tip. trying insmod the 2 modules and than configuring the vlan do work. but if i reboot the device, the switch is back unconfigured. how can i load this 2 modules at boot time? another solution for me is to custom command load the modules and restart the switch programming. but how to program the switch at the console?

These two posts boggle me. I just tried loading the modules on my wrt300n v1.1 and wrt320n which are both running k2.6 builds.

On the wrt300n v1.1 using the VLAN GUI would actually cause it to reboot and the only nvram variables changed were the port#vlans variables which are for GUI display but don't change the actual functionality. When the two modules are loaded on the wrt300n v1.1, the /proc/switch directories exist and can be used to reconfigure the VLAN's live.

On the wrt320n using the VLAN GUI wouldn't cause it to reboot but the port#vlans variables were still the only ones changed. When the two modules are loaded on the wrt320n, the /proc/switch directories exist but the ports files are empty and can not be reconfigured live.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Yes i am finding out that the WNDR3300 is some work to get VLANs working with it properly, did some tests with it last night and a few today, no luck, i really need a weekend to throw at it though, not enough time to cram all this into a few hrs.

Also before i try this, and waste alot of time doing so, you guys know if Atheros has any kind of VLAN support? I have a WRT160NL and WRT400N i can throw at these tests as well.

Edit: hell with it, im about to break out the closet stash of routers, shitloads, i feel this is a good topic and we should establish some kind of solid VLAN supported router list.

You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent the last couple weeks. Laughing

I have no experience at all with Atheros models and only occasionally peek in that forum. I've seen a few posts about some newer Atheros models having vlan capable switches but no support for it in dd-wrt. I think the wndr3700 with a realtek switch might have been one of them, I know I saw some openwrt threads that indicate openwrt supports VLAN's with the wndr3700.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent the last couple weeks. Laughing

Yes i know :)

I have been checking out the growth of the 'Switched Ports' wiki, very nice work to i might add.

i have only heard of 1 Atheros device possibly supporting VLANs, netgear WG602 v4, which i do not have, so i probably won't waste much time trying it with those 2 units i aforementioned due the fact that most of my units are broadcom and i want to establish which of these units i have support VLANs. I am going to try the Asus WL500gP v2 later on this evening, though iirc the ports are a little different arrangement than the wl520gu so i will have to test this, see if it can.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

The wndr3300 has a 4704 CPU so if it does support VLAN's then it's going to require more work than just setting some nvram variables because it doesn't create any by default.

The cpu shouldn't matter unless it is a cpu (SOC) with built-in switch like the BCM535x series SOC's.

The WNDR3300 has a BCM5325F switch so it should be possible to use VLAN's on it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Port based vlans seems no problem with the wndr3300, but since its an F and not an E switch chip, 802.1Q based VLANs is not seeming to happen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: