What to do when you accidently erase your CFE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Jeff D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 16:14    Post subject: What to do when you accidently erase your CFE? Reply with quote
After working on this belkin f7d7301v1 for a week trying to unbrick it I accidently did a no-no... i erased the cfe and then pulled the power. Arrgh.

I've got two of these things and I've been swapping between the two for a week checking and rechecking things on the two systems. Luckily I didn't do anything bad to the good router!

So, I'm without a CFE on the bad router, I have serial and JTAG support. But I think I have a bad flash chip. When I erase the cfe all reads 0xff. But when I program the cfe there's a byte at offset 0xAAA which should be 0x31 ("1") but reads as 0x20 " ". I tested writing 0xFF and it read as 0xAA which looks like bits 0,2,4, and 6 are getting reset on the write. This is the only byte which is having the problem so I think the chip is bad.

I disconnected the router and tried to hot-air the board to make sure I didn't have some loose joint but in the process left the CFE memory erased (doh!).

I figure the result is the same now, either I get a new part and have to figure this out, or using the original part I have to do the same.

Is there a way to reflash the part on-board without a working CFE? Does anyone know of any services to reflash a new part?

I have an old Topmax serial programmer, but according to them it doesn't work with any new parts. Looking at the chip docs I think it could be possible, but the software would need to support this part and I'd need a SMD to DIP adapter...

FWIW this is the part I need to replace:
http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/memory/flash/nor/Pages/8977100-MX29LV640ETTI-70G.aspx?IM=0

Any suggestions of what to do with this epic fail?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: