Need help setting up AC1900 on Netgear R7000 and PCE-AC68

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RazerMamba
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 18:00    Post subject: Need help setting up AC1900 on Netgear R7000 and PCE-AC68 Reply with quote
- I have Verizon Fios 50/50 internet
- Windows 8 64-bit
- Netgear R7000 build with DD-WRT v3.0-r28815M kongac (01/15/16)
- Had an Asus EA-N66 (supports 450 Mbps)
- Now have an Asus PCE-AC68 (supports AC 1.3 Gbps) on FW 2.1.1.4 (non EU)

I want to figure out:
1. if I'm getting the right speeds
2. why am I randomly disconnecting for X amount of time

1. What I know so far:
According to the web gui for the R7000, I have seen the TX rate on the AC68 (found via mac address) reaches 1300M and is connected to VHT80, so that means it should be set up properly, correct?

2. I tried testing the connectivity of my AC68, using InternetConnectivityMonitor 1.41 (checks internet connection every 5 seconds) and found the following:
In a 13 hour 15 minute test, I get:
- 4 hour 45 mins first disconnect for 21-31 seconds
- 5 hours 53 mins later, second disconnect for 1:39-1:49 minutes
- 33 mins later, third disconnect for 21-31 seconds

How do I figure out what is causing the disconnects? I ran the connectivity test on my old adapter and have had 0 disconnects in 22 hours and counting.

Last edited by RazerMamba on Sat Jan 30, 2016 15:35; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Razer,

1. What I know so far:
According to the web gui for the R7000, I have seen the TX rate on the AC68 (found via mac address) reaches 1300M and is connected to VHT80, so that means it should be set up properly, correct?

A - Yes that is how you see 1300Mbps (max connection rate)

How do I figure out what is causing the disconnects?

A - That is a real "it depends" answer which fits most wifi questions.
A couple of initial thoughts.
You didn't mention which code the R700 is/was on with the older adapter and also which band (2.4 or 5)

Some folks have complained about the newer code (mostly on other models of router).
You could try reverting back to an older code which runs on the older Linux Kernl & testing.
That is quite mature.

There are some antenna/signal strength trial/error testing you could try to see if you get those blips down.

Good luck!

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
RazerMamba
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Razer,
A - That is a real "it depends" answer which fits most wifi questions.
A couple of initial thoughts.
You didn't mention which code the R700 is/was on with the older adapter and also which band (2.4 or 5)

Some folks have complained about the newer code (mostly on other models of router).
You could try reverting back to an older code which runs on the older Linux Kernl & testing.
That is quite mature.

There are some antenna/signal strength trial/error testing you could try to see if you get those blips down.

Good luck!

When you say code, you mean the firmware? The same exact one. The only thing I changed from my previous setup is the wireless card from EA-N66 to PCE-AC68.

The old adapter reads TX 450M, is on 5GHz and is on HT40.

Once I hit 24 hours without disconnects on the EA-N66 (about 1 hour and 45 minutes left), I'm going to move it to another computer to test them both at the same time. If one disconnects but not the other, I should know for sure. I believe it's the AC68 itself because you said that my setup is reported as correct.

However, I don't know what to do if that were the case, other people tried older drivers/third party broadcom drivers it seems.

Antenna and signal strength are irrelevant because they are tested in the exact same location, and right next to the router itself, close enough to be connected by ethernet. This was to prevent any outside interference from messing up my results.

Edit: Interestingly, I have 18 hours and no disconnects now...

When I try to transfer a 4.5gb file from a 5200 RPM SSHD that I connected to my router, both adapters show 17Mbps. Isn't the AC68 supposed to be faster?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: