Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
dzolas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I wanted to upload dd-wrt into my new router RT-N12 but I've made big mistake. What i did: I downloaded dd-wrt firmware for RT-N12 and then used 30/30/30 method. I was in ASUS recovery mod and uploaded a firmware. But before it i click to reload NVRAM values. All was done correctly - firmware was uploaded. And then i waited and try to reopen web GUI but nothing happened so I re-plug cable from router. Router was still in recovery mod because light only power LED and my PC led. But some mysterious for me ... Wink ... router's led light (only PC and POWER) and then router get reset - all LEDs power off and again start PC and PWR and this was cycling. So this I wouldn't do , but I've done that: I again click on erase NVRAM in web GUI (i think double click Confused ) and my ROUTER goes to ... ALL LEDs light and nothing happen. I've tried reset router , pres reset button , again 30/30/30 ... but nothing work. I let router running during night but still same thing ... all led light and nothing. Is any solution or anything what i can do ? Thax lot for any ideas.

EDIT: ... When i conect ethernet cable to pc and router there is no response in pc. ... I uploaded a dd-wrt only one time. But i think i select bad version. I think I've got RT-N12 rev. B. I've checked sticker on back side of router and in right corner is HW rev B1 and I select dd-wrt for RT-N12 not for B. But i think that wasnt critical mistake because after web gui's uploaded this firmware router still was in recovery mode and gui was still accessible and i could select firmware to upload. It must be something with NVRAM. I was searching 2 days and nothing work Embarassed TankX
Sponsor
Gew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote
I just wanted to tell y'all that I successfully installed DD-WRT on my RT-N12 just the other night. I used the primary method described in the DD-WRT wiki, and it went smooth as a camel toe. I also used the firmware image included in the very same wiki. I'm not 100% sure that this is the latest DD-WRT firmware available for the the RT-N12, but it works like a charm. I was surprised the UPnP engine seems much more reliable than the one in i stock firmware v1.0.1.2. This is my first DD-WRT experience, and I'm very pleased.
zbeyuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 18:00    Post subject: RT-N12E Reply with quote
Hi, Does anyone know whether this DD-Wrt firmware can be used for Asus RT-N12E ?
Smiling Cat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58    Post subject: Question about updating with DD-WRT already installed. Reply with quote
I already have DD-WRT installed on my RT-N12 although it's quite out of date. Should I follow the same procedure in the Wiki or can I use firmware upgrade via the Web interface Control Panel under Administration Firmware Upgrade with the latest build file for router. Simpler method would be preferred, but I wouldn't mind going through the entire initial install process if it means I can avoid complications.
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 14:56    Post subject: Re: Question about updating with DD-WRT already installed. Reply with quote
Smiling Cat wrote:
I already have DD-WRT installed on my RT-N12 although it's quite out of date. Should I follow the same procedure in the Wiki or can I use firmware upgrade via the Web interface Control Panel under Administration Firmware Upgrade with the latest build file for router. Simpler method would be preferred, but I wouldn't mind going through the entire initial install process if it means I can avoid complications.

Web interface works fine. Use the mini.bin builds for this purpose. Recommended to still do the hard reset, and re-enter all settings.
comptechltd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

I have an original RT-N12 (No bloody B, C, or D....lol) that I am currently running 14929 on. Can I update it to any newer builds??? This is the version that the router database lookup shows for an original, just wasn't sure if maybe it hadn't been updated.

Thanks,

Steve
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am now running the latest Eko test build. It is working, though I have had one crash while video conferencing. I rely upon scheduling a restart every night and using "Keep alive" to restart if it loses its connection. So there is a warm feeling from using the newest build, but I'm not sure whether the latest whistles make any difference for this router. If you are not limited by any features in your current build, there may not be any observable advantage to upgrading.
comptechltd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Moshe,

I also have a B model that I'm running 16785 and thought it would be nice to have them at the same release level. The B model is wired to the network also and is being used as an access point only.

Steve
Gew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your experience, guys. Now, I must follow up on my get-go. Like I mentioned earlier, this is my very first dd-wrt experience and I installed the build recommended in the dd-wrt Wiki (dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx). The other night, it struck me that this buidl is >1½ years old, and that there might be something newer. I manually navigated my way into ftp.dd-wrt.com and eventually ended up in a branch where there was actual builds with "RT-N12" included as suffix in their file names, which felt kind of safe and bulletproof. First, I ended up here and pulled the right build. However, I had hick-ups that needed physical hard reset every fifteen minutes, so I was suspicious (the 2010 build recommended in Wiki has never frozen). Then I found another tree branch than the /eko/ one, to be more precise /eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/, which also seemed to have builds that were tagged RT-N12. I downloaded the latest (03-19-12-r18777) but I was unable to update it. I got "Could not upgrade!" error through the web GUI every time. I then found (through various forum threads) that there was an issue with a slightly oversized image, i.e. it was ~KiB's to big to fit the 4MiB flash of RT-N12v1. Therefor, I checked the second most recent build; 03-08-12-r18767. I successfully upgraded firmware and I haven't rebooted the router ever since I made initial configuration.

Wish me best of luck! Smile
jwineinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
dzolas wrote:
Hi, I wanted to upload dd-wrt into my new router RT-N12 but I've made big mistake. What i did: I downloaded dd-wrt firmware for RT-N12 and then used 30/30/30 method. I was in ASUS recovery mod and uploaded a firmware. But before it i click to reload NVRAM values. All was done correctly - firmware was uploaded. And then i waited and try to reopen web GUI but nothing happened so I re-plug cable from router. Router was still in recovery mod because light only power LED and my PC led. But some mysterious for me ... Wink ... router's led light (only PC and POWER) and then router get reset - all LEDs power off and again start PC and PWR and this was cycling. So this I wouldn't do , but I've done that: I again click on erase NVRAM in web GUI (i think double click Confused ) and my ROUTER goes to ... ALL LEDs light and nothing happen. I've tried reset router , pres reset button , again 30/30/30 ... but nothing work. I let router running during night but still same thing ... all led light and nothing. Is any solution or anything what i can do ? Thax lot for any ideas.

EDIT: ... When i conect ethernet cable to pc and router there is no response in pc. ... I uploaded a dd-wrt only one time. But i think i select bad version. I think I've got RT-N12 rev. B. I've checked sticker on back side of router and in right corner is HW rev B1 and I select dd-wrt for RT-N12 not for B. But i think that wasnt critical mistake because after web gui's uploaded this firmware router still was in recovery mode and gui was still accessible and i could select firmware to upload. It must be something with NVRAM. I was searching 2 days and nothing work Embarassed TankX

The same thing just happened to me. I got a rev B1 from Newegg and attempted to install DD-WRT via the alternate method shown http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12 with the trx file shown there as well. After uploading the firmware, the router went into a reboot cycle where I couldn't stay connected long enough to do anything except click the "restore NVRAM default values" link on the recovery page. Shortly after all of the lights on it lit up at about 1/2 brightness and stayed that way. Power cycling does nothing, reset button does nothing, WPS button does nothing (including 30/30/30s with each). Looks like a brick to me. Any ideas?
Lester Burnham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:

The same thing just happened to me. I got a rev B1 from Newegg and attempted to install DD-WRT via the alternate method shown http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12 with the trx file shown there as well. After uploading the firmware, the router went into a reboot cycle where I couldn't stay connected long enough to do anything except click the "restore NVRAM default values" link on the recovery page. Shortly after all of the lights on it lit up at about 1/2 brightness and stayed that way. Power cycling does nothing, reset button does nothing, WPS button does nothing (including 30/30/30s with each). Looks like a brick to me. Any ideas?

Not sure you can brick the RT-N12s - just use the firmware recovery utility that comes on the CD with the router (you'll need a good copy of the firmware file - and I recommend downloading the latest stock firmware to recover with).

There's some instructions for using the utility - you might need static IP addressing on your PC, and plugged in via a cable - then you unplug the power, use something to press and hold the recessed button whilst powering on your RT-N12, and keep it held in until the power light starts to blink slowly. Then you use the firmware recovery utility to upload the firmware file - as I said, I'd recommend downloading / using the latest stock firmware for this, then you know you've got the correct firmware file for it.
jwineinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:

Not sure you can brick the RT-N12s - just use the firmware recovery utility that comes on the CD with the router (you'll need a good copy of the firmware file - and I recommend downloading the latest stock firmware to recover with).

There's some instructions for using the utility - you might need static IP addressing on your PC, and plugged in via a cable - then you unplug the power, use something to press and hold the recessed button whilst powering on your RT-N12, and keep it held in until the power light starts to blink slowly. Then you use the firmware recovery utility to upload the firmware file - as I said, I'd recommend downloading / using the latest stock firmware for this, then you know you've got the correct firmware file for it.

I'll give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Holding the reset button (or the WPS button) for any length of time does nothing -- all of the lights always stay on. If I power cycle it, all of the lights immediately come on as soon as I plug it in -- it doesn't look like there is any kind of booting up going on. A computer plugged into the router does not get an active link and always shows "disconnected" so I couldn't even try the ping diagnosis for bricked routers mentioned in #6 on the peacock thread.
Lester Burnham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwineinger wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:

I'll give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Holding the reset button (or the WPS button) for any length of time does nothing -- all of the lights always stay on. If I power cycle it, all of the lights immediately come on as soon as I plug it in -- it doesn't look like there is any kind of booting up going on. A computer plugged into the router does not get an active link and always shows "disconnected" so I couldn't even try the ping diagnosis for bricked routers mentioned in #6 on the peacock thread.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry - I'm reasonably confident the utility will rescue it. I've got 2 RT-N12s (B1 revisions) and have flashed them with the wrong DD-WRT firmware file, before now - and they were pretty unusable.

Just get the stock firmware file on your PC, plug it in to the router via ethernet cable, configure your PC to use a static address. Then you have to unplug your router (so all power removed), then use something to press and hold-in the recessed restore button (ie not the WPS button), keep it pressed in (you really need 3 hands for this! Wink) then plug the power adapter lead back in. All the time, still keep the recessed restore button held pressed, then wait until the power light starts to flash slowly - only then release the restore button.

Then run the utilitiy, browse to the firmware file, and let it do it's thing. I've done this several times - first time I had to do it, as I'd "bricked" (I put that in quotes, because I'm not convinced you can actually brick these just by flashing the wrong firmware files), and it was just looping through reboots.

edit: sorry, forgot to say - don't go off the thread, here, or any other diagnosis or fixing threads, here - you don't need them for this router. Just use the utility that comes on the small CD with the router, and have the stock firmware downloaded from the ASUS site (so you know you're starting from a good firmware image file).

Mine has been completely unusable, several times - reboot cycles, not even pingable - as I said, I don't think you can brick them by flashing the wrong file, I believe the firmware restoration utility will be able to recover it.
mydogisntmydog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry - I'm reasonably confident the utility will rescue it. I've got 2 RT-N12s (B1 revisions) and have flashed them with the wrong DD-WRT firmware file, before now - and they were pretty unusable.

Just get the stock firmware file on your PC, plug it in to the router via ethernet cable, configure your PC to use a static address. Then you have to unplug your router (so all power removed), then use something to press and hold-in the recessed restore button (ie not the WPS button), keep it pressed in (you really need 3 hands for this! Wink) then plug the power adapter lead back in. All the time, still keep the recessed restore button held pressed, then wait until the power light starts to flash slowly - only then release the restore button.

Then run the utilitiy, browse to the firmware file, and let it do it's thing. I've done this several times - first time I had to do it, as I'd "bricked" (I put that in quotes, because I'm not convinced you can actually brick these just by flashing the wrong firmware files), and it was just looping through reboots.

edit: sorry, forgot to say - don't go off the thread, here, or any other diagnosis or fixing threads, here - you don't need them for this router. Just use the utility that comes on the small CD with the router, and have the stock firmware downloaded from the ASUS site (so you know you're starting from a good firmware image file).

Mine has been completely unusable, several times - reboot cycles, not even pingable - as I said, I don't think you can brick them by flashing the wrong file, I believe the firmware restoration utility will be able to recover it.

I had the same problem guys and the firmware restoration utility works. However, the default username and password do not work on the router using the firmwares on asus's website. I'm stuck and can't do anything with this router. Any ideas?
jr2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Warning: Wild hair-brained idea:

I don't have any supporting evidence for this, but it just struck me: Could the three-position switch be the reason that some RT-N12s have problems in Repeater mode, and some have problems in Router mode? I know when DD-WRT is installed, the switch doesn't have an effect, however, when the switch position is changed, does it still cause a reboot? If the switch was defective, the contact might not be solid and that might cause problems, whereas the other position might work just fine.

Again, this was just an idea that popped into my head. Someone else would have to try and see if the position made any difference or not, and whether it also had the same effect with DD-WRT running.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 34 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: