Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Stonesouls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:57    Post subject: Asus RT-N12B1 Reply with quote
Quote:
the 16785 does not load onto the new B1's so you have to use the 17084 and it works fine. hope this solves the issues with moving to dd-wrt on the B1 with a stock firmware

I got it to work following the recommended procedure. No problem. My question is what does "17084" offer over "16785"
Sponsor
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
mm..just received this router ( rt-n12/b1 )in the mail today

i've tried quite a lot of builds for this router today.

went from 16875 all the way to 17990. They all felt kind of the same.

currently using 17990, haven't tried anything newer yet.

Saving/Applying new settings(any) often requires a reboot followed by me manually replugging the power.

also noticed some latency as well.

I'm going to test the following tomorrow

dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1
dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1
dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1

just done testing these 2 and they all feel the same, but i'm back to the 17990 right now because i know it worked.

I am able to use Repeater Mode with this RT-N12/B1
However, the Virtual Interfaces wl0.1 is a bit flaky.

Sometimes it'll connect, sometimes it won't. It doesn't matter whether the Virtual SSID have encryption/password or not, i've tried running it unencrypted and still can't connect. If the repeater can't connect to it's target SSID, i am unable to connect my desktop to the Virtual Interface. (guess it's too busy trying to reconnect to the target)

Most of the time applying new settings would still require a reboot.

also note,
after I reset default settings + flash new firmware + reset default settings,
the dd-wrt ssid would pop up,
i think that's the setting, to have dd-wrt wireless on AP mode with no encryption
problem is.... when i try to connect, it'll ask for a WEP password.

i think that's some data that didnt get cleaned out before i flashed it. Somehow the nvram doesn't seem to want to clear itself.

--anyone tested a better stable build for the RT-n12/b1 to work as a repeater?
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, time for another update, everything's almost working fine now. I am using the RT-N12/B1 as a repeater on 17990 build.

I realized the flaky connection was caused by the Router *sometimes* broadcasting the VPN with a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00

Second thing i wanna mention is the TX Power, these are the signal strength my adapter receives when i set at the corresponding mW:

mW / dbm
20 / -62
25 / -60
60 / -57
70 / - 53
100 / -50

i would guess the RT-N12/b1 sets the Tx power in terms of mW and not dbi. I'm currently using it at 100mW and my router isn't over heating or crashing yet.

However, it still requires a manual reboot after changing any settings. <= only problem left. Smile not a big issue but just so people know Smile

Last edited by dm22 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:21; edited 3 times in total
sylvia88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really good item, thanks for sharing. I recommend you another website hplaptopbatteradapter.com to buy your battery.We maintain all kind of laptop battery, laptop ac adapter and other laptop parts in a low price. Give your laptop a new life with higher capacity battery. We concentrate our minds on supplying high quality discount laptop replacement battery such as hp probook 4510s battery for you to save more money and get more surprise. We are a wholesale laptop battery distributor offering low priced laptop batteries to our customers. We are providing service online and work hard to make your online shopping easy, fast, convenient and safe.
noderat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
dm22 wrote:
I realized the flaky connection was caused by the Router *sometimes* broadcasting the VPN with a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00

I've noticed this as well and it causes tons of problems with my devices since it also has the same ESSID and a rotating channel. Any solution to resolve this?
Stonesouls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:24    Post subject: Power Setting Reply with quote
dm22 wrote:

Second thing i wanna mention is the TX Power, these are the signal strength my adapter receives when i set at the corresponding mW:

mW / dbm
20 / -62
25 / -60
60 / -57
70 / - 53
100 / -50

i would guess the RT-N12/b1 sets the Tx power in terms of mW and not dbi. I'm currently using it at 100mW and my router isn't over heating or crashing yet.

However, it still requires a manual reboot after changing any settings. <= only problem left. Smile not a big issue but just so people know Smile

What band do you have it set for? On N band anything above 70 mW
will actually decrease performance.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Re: Power Setting Reply with quote
Stonesouls wrote:
dm22 wrote:

mW / dbm
20 / -62
25 / -60
60 / -57
70 / - 53
100 / -50

What band do you have it set for? On N band anything above 70 mW
will actually decrease performance.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

i only use B/G band right now.
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
for those who ARE interested, i've just tested the following build to see if repeater mode. It still doesn't work.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mini - build 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

However, i've found that the Wifi lights worked!!! ...*surprised look*

this is the only build i've tested so far that has a working wifi light...

back to svn17990 for me =(
brandaopj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
i´ve got the c1 version of this router and i´ve installed the buid 18702.trx
Do i need to flash another file? I ask this because it says Firmware - Special image for initial flashing.

But i have everything working.
lrk2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:48    Post subject: Help choosing the right firmware for ASUS RT-N12B Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

Short time lurker, first time poster here. I've spent hours combing over the DD-WRT forum and wiki to figure out what firmware to load on my new ASUS RT-N12B router, and here is what I've found so far:

Router DB:

dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx
with caveat "Special Image for Initial Flashing"! Also, the peacock thread says not to trust the router database.

Wiki page for RT-N12B:
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx
however, there is no mention of the "B" model, so I'm not sure if it is compatible or not. The peacock thread also recommends this build.

This thread:
Someone suggested 17990m. The peacock thread also mentions this build if you have a "newer router", but I have no idea what "newer" is relative to and if it applies to the RT-N12B.

So, I could really use some help here. I'm going to use it in normal Router/AP mode - not as a repeater), but I really need stability since I will be sending this down to my daughter at college where I can't help much after shipping it. I would also like to use openvpn if possible (I'm running dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin on my ASUS WL-520GU). Is there an openvpn build that will work on this router, such as openvpn_small builds?

Oh, and I'm also a little confused by the .trx vs .bin files. Are .trx files only if upgrading from the ASUS original firmware and I can then use .bin files from the DD-WRT interface once it is there - e.g. one that doesn't have RT-N12B1 in the file name?

Thanks! - Larry
RMR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Larry,

I'm new to this too. I read everything and decided to install the 17990 firmware on my rt-n12b1, specifically:

dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx

My understanding is that the initial firmware needs to have the .trx extension, but subsequent firmwares just need the .bin extension once dd-wrt in installed.

The firmware update went very smoothly and fixed the problems that the Asus firmware was giving me, so I am pleased overall. I'm just using it as a plain router and gateway for internet use and file sharing. So far it seems stable, we'll see how it performs over the next week or so before I consider any changes.

Figuring out just what to do is somewhat of a tangled web, but to me, in the end, it has been worth it.

Richard.
zhazell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dm22 wrote:
for those who ARE interested, i've just tested the following build to see if repeater mode. It still doesn't work.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mini - build 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

However, i've found that the Wifi lights worked!!! ...*surprised look*

this is the only build i've tested so far that has a working wifi light...

back to svn17990 for me =(

I upgraded, but my wifi light isn't working...do I have to reset the router to factory before it will start working? Just curious, not a big deal.
mnour.tamer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a serious problem

Problem : The N12 repeaters got burnt a lot , all the lights are on, not able to connect
it means the repeater is dead .

after deploying them for real location , they will be defective , some in one week and some in 2 month or less or more

we are using the ver.b1
ieieie666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23    Post subject: just tried to upgrade stock n12; nothing but half dim leds Reply with quote
nothing but half bright (very dim) leds, all on.

nothing fixes it. can't 30/30/30, can't go into anything but half dim leds.

what to do other than return it??

no, I can't go into recovery. yes, it does truly seem bricked.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 36 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: