Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Lester Burnham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mydogisntmydog wrote:
I had the same problem guys and the firmware restoration utility works. However, the default username and password do not work on the router using the firmwares on asus's website. I'm stuck and can't do anything with this router. Any ideas?

admin / admin not do it? (pretty sure that's the default).

I think if you hold the little red button (WPS?) at the back in, you can do a factory reset - you may need to have the power removed, button held down, then add power.
Sponsor
jr2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ASUS user / pw is admin / admin
DD-WRT usser / pw is root / admin

Perhaps you didn't erase the previous password? You can do a factory reset and fix that.

Also, if you do a 30/30/30 {EDIT: a 30/30/30 means hold down the factory reset (or WPS on RT-N16) and, while keeping it held, wait 30 seconds, don't let go, unplug it, wait 30 seconds still holding reset, keep holding reset, plug it in, keep holding it for 30 more seconds -- so, keep the reset down for 90 seconds total. The first 30 seconds plugged in, the next 30 unplugged, and the last 30 plugged back in. A regular reset is just holding the reset button until the power light starts flashing and then letting go} on the ASUS, then in the Mini-CFE webpage (set your computer to static IP 192.168.1.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway 192.168.1.1, then access 192.168.1.1) there is a link "reset NVRAM" - click that. Then click the reboot link. You may have to reboot it twice; if not, factory reset should put you back to your router's regular OS.

BTW, FWIW, anyone wanting to use Telnet:

1) You have to install it via "Turn Windows features on/off" or "Windows Components" from Add/Remove Programs
2) You have to enable Telnet in DD-WRT (under remote management in the Administration tab)
3) Then you telnet like so:
telnet 192.168.1.1
4) It will prompt you for username / password. The username WILL BE ROOT, regardless of what you set it to, however, the password will be what you changed it to. So if your username was fuzzybunny and your password was fluffball, your username in Telnet would be root, and your password fluffball.

I found that to be confusing, as I was attempting to use "root" and "admin", and "fuzzybunny" and "fluffball" (no I'm not putting my real user and p/w, you get the picture).
Stonesouls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Good Success With RT-N12B Reply with quote
Good success with RT-N12B. I did not upgrade the firmware that was available from Asus. I down loaded dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx from the database and put it on my desktop. I used the 30/30/30 method to put it into recovery mode, opened Explorer and navigated to 192.168.1.1, hit the reset/flash the Vram button and cleared the memory. I uploaded the the file that I put on my desktop, it flashed very quickly and I held my breath for about 10 minutes waiting for it to reboot. It did not reboot automaticly, I hit the continue and it did reboot DD-WRT. Good stuff. One thing that was a bit strange to me was the that the router ID was for a WRT54G, same chip I believe. This corrected itself on the next reboot. The N band is fully functional. Those who watch this board may want to take note of this.

Any setting recommendations would be greatly welcome. Thanks for all the good information and the great firmware. I have donated to the cause.
Mr. Green

RT-N12B.jpg
 Description:
Screen capture of router status.
 Filesize:  92.31 KB
 Viewed:  26688 Time(s)

RT-N12B.jpg

hiluke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm hoping someone here can give me a suggestion, before I conclude that I have pushed the hardware too far in my RT-N12.

I have had dd-wrt up and running on this for 6 months.
Working fine in repeater bridge, usually running on the latest version of dd-wrt.

Couple of months ago, I tried playing around in the settings to see if I could somehow get the repeater bridge signal to be split. e.g. gets signal from MainAP, but then broadcasts 2 SSID's as 'Repeater' and 'Guest'. I was unsuccessful after a few attempts, so I figured that this must be a limitation.

In the last few weeks, my repeater bridge keeps dropping out. I will configure it, connect happily for 10mins or so, and then I will all of a sudden lose connectivity. Upon restarting the router, all my configuration settings have reverted to stock. Broadcasting SSID 'dd-wrt' and resetting to the default 192.168.1.1 IP.

When configuring the router again, I make sure to apply settings and in Administration hit restart to store it all. I've even tried going through telnet to 'nvram commit' and then 'reboot'. I still seem to lose the settings not long later.

I have tried:
30/30/30 reset
Different versions of dd-wrt
turning the router off for 2 days

I have now returned to the stock Asus firmware, which is working, however I would rather the repeated network to have a different SSID, as you set up in dd-wrt repeater bridge.

Since its working fine on the stock firmware, is it possible that I have fried some of the wireless components in the hardware? Or is there something else that I may have missed?

Thanks.
damd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-N12C1 with firmware version 2.1.1.1.33-3. Does this router support dd-wrt?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
hiluke wrote:
So I'm hoping someone here can give me a suggestion, before I conclude that I have pushed the hardware too far in my RT-N12.

I have had dd-wrt up and running on this for 6 months.
Working fine in repeater bridge, usually running on the latest version of dd-wrt.

Couple of months ago, I tried playing around in the settings to see if I could somehow get the repeater bridge signal to be split. e.g. gets signal from MainAP, but then broadcasts 2 SSID's as 'Repeater' and 'Guest'. I was unsuccessful after a few attempts, so I figured that this must be a limitation.

In the last few weeks, my repeater bridge keeps dropping out. I will configure it, connect happily for 10mins or so, and then I will all of a sudden lose connectivity. Upon restarting the router, all my configuration settings have reverted to stock. Broadcasting SSID 'dd-wrt' and resetting to the default 192.168.1.1 IP.

When configuring the router again, I make sure to apply settings and in Administration hit restart to store it all. I've even tried going through telnet to 'nvram commit' and then 'reboot'. I still seem to lose the settings not long later.

I have tried:
30/30/30 reset
Different versions of dd-wrt
turning the router off for 2 days

I have now returned to the stock Asus firmware, which is working, however I would rather the repeated network to have a different SSID, as you set up in dd-wrt repeater bridge.

Since its working fine on the stock firmware, is it possible that I have fried some of the wireless components in the hardware? Or is there something else that I may have missed?

Thanks.

You are correct that the Asus firmware, acting as a repeater, doesn't allow you to specify a new SSID (as you have found). However, you CAN specify a different IP subnet from the main router. If the users of the repeater specify their own IP addresses (using DHCP with fixed address, or manual addressing) they will not be on the same subnet as the primary AP. That gives you some isolation (of a printer, for example). However, users relying of DHCP will get an address on the main AP subnet.
bndouglas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
mydogisntmydog wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:
Hi, I wanted to upload dd-wrt into my new router RT-N12 but I've made big mistake. What i did: I downloaded dd-wrt firmware for RT-N12 and then used 30/30/30 method. I was in ASUS recovery mod and uploaded a firmware. But before it i click to reload NVRAM values. All was done correctly - firmware was uploaded. And then i waited and try to reopen web GUI but nothing happened so I re-plug cable from router. Router was still in recovery mod because light only power LED and my PC led. But some mysterious for me ... Wink ... router's led light (only PC and POWER) and then router get reset - all LEDs power off and again start PC and PWR and this was cycling. So this I wouldn't do , but I've done that: I again click on erase NVRAM in web GUI (i think double click Confused ) and my ROUTER goes to ... ALL LEDs light and nothing happen. I've tried reset router , pres reset button , again 30/30/30 ... but nothing work. I let router running during night but still same thing ... all led light and nothing. Is any solution or anything what i can do ? Thax lot for any ideas.

EDIT: ... When i conect ethernet cable to pc and router there is no response in pc. ... I uploaded a dd-wrt only one time. But i think i select bad version. I think I've got RT-N12 rev. B. I've checked sticker on back side of router and in right corner is HW rev B1 and I select dd-wrt for RT-N12 not for B. But i think that wasnt critical mistake because after web gui's uploaded this firmware router still was in recovery mode and gui was still accessible and i could select firmware to upload. It must be something with NVRAM. I was searching 2 days and nothing work Embarassed TankX

The same thing just happened to me. I got a rev B1 from Newegg and attempted to install DD-WRT via the alternate method shown http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12 with the trx file shown there as well. After uploading the firmware, the router went into a reboot cycle where I couldn't stay connected long enough to do anything except click the "restore NVRAM default values" link on the recovery page. Shortly after all of the lights on it lit up at about 1/2 brightness and stayed that way. Power cycling does nothing, reset button does nothing, WPS button does nothing (including 30/30/30s with each). Looks like a brick to me. Any ideas?

Not sure you can brick the RT-N12s - just use the firmware recovery utility that comes on the CD with the router (you'll need a good copy of the firmware file - and I recommend downloading the latest stock firmware to recover with).

There's some instructions for using the utility - you might need static IP addressing on your PC, and plugged in via a cable - then you unplug the power, use something to press and hold the recessed button whilst powering on your RT-N12, and keep it held in until the power light starts to blink slowly. Then you use the firmware recovery utility to upload the firmware file - as I said, I'd recommend downloading / using the latest stock firmware for this, then you know you've got the correct firmware file for it.

I'll give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Holding the reset button (or the WPS button) for any length of time does nothing -- all of the lights always stay on. If I power cycle it, all of the lights immediately come on as soon as I plug it in -- it doesn't look like there is any kind of booting up going on. A computer plugged into the router does not get an active link and always shows "disconnected" so I couldn't even try the ping diagnosis for bricked routers mentioned in #6 on the peacock thread.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry - I'm reasonably confident the utility will rescue it. I've got 2 RT-N12s (B1 revisions) and have flashed them with the wrong DD-WRT firmware file, before now - and they were pretty unusable.

Just get the stock firmware file on your PC, plug it in to the router via ethernet cable, configure your PC to use a static address. Then you have to unplug your router (so all power removed), then use something to press and hold-in the recessed restore button (ie not the WPS button), keep it pressed in (you really need 3 hands for this! Wink) then plug the power adapter lead back in. All the time, still keep the recessed restore button held pressed, then wait until the power light starts to flash slowly - only then release the restore button.

Then run the utilitiy, browse to the firmware file, and let it do it's thing. I've done this several times - first time I had to do it, as I'd "bricked" (I put that in quotes, because I'm not convinced you can actually brick these just by flashing the wrong firmware files), and it was just looping through reboots.

edit: sorry, forgot to say - don't go off the thread, here, or any other diagnosis or fixing threads, here - you don't need them for this router. Just use the utility that comes on the small CD with the router, and have the stock firmware downloaded from the ASUS site (so you know you're starting from a good firmware image file).

Mine has been completely unusable, several times - reboot cycles, not even pingable - as I said, I don't think you can brick them by flashing the wrong file, I believe the firmware restoration utility will be able to recover it.

I had the same problem guys and the firmware restoration utility works. However, the default username and password do not work on the router using the firmwares on asus's website. I'm stuck and can't do anything with this router. Any ideas?

I had the same problem - so far I've been unable to find a version of dd-wrt or tomato to run on my ASUS RT-N12 B1. I have found the same firmware on the ASUS site that you have because the router now responds on 192.168.1.1 but it won't accept username: admin, password: admin (which is supposed to be the default).

Please let me know if you find out what the login credentials are. In the mean time, I think I've exhausted all dd-wrt possibilities for now, but I'm still looking for a version of Tomato that works, because some users report getting it to work.
bndouglas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Subsequent to my last post. I've been able to get the following builds of Tomato to run on my ASUS RT-N12 B1

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-083V%2FRT-N12B1

of the three here I'm going to run with http://tomato.groov.pl/K26RT-N/build5x-083V/RT-N12B1/tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-IPv6-VPN.trx

Note that the lighter "MINI" releases have had subsequent releases with some bug fixes, but I haven't tried them myself.
code65536
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42    Post subject: Re: HTTPS defective in build 17084 ? Reply with quote
WiFiFan wrote:
Then I decided to switch the "Web Access" protocol from HTTP to HTTPS.
And then I couldn't access the config pages anymore.
The nvram space in the RT-N12 is tiny, so it's easy to overflow it. Setting up HTTPS entails storing a cryptographic key and certificate in nvram, and, um, those things take up lots of bytes. That will cause your nvram to overflow and become corrupted.

For similar reasons, it's not a good idea to enable sshd on this thing. Or have really large static lease tables. Etc.
code65536
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gew wrote:
I downloaded the latest (03-19-12-r18777) but I was unable to update it. I got "Could not upgrade!" error through the web GUI every time. I then found (through various forum threads) that there was an issue with a slightly oversized image, i.e. it was ~KiB's to big to fit the 4MiB flash of RT-N12v1.
Where are these forum threads that say that the 18774 build is too large? The reason I ask is because that the file that you linked to is still substantially smaller (by a few hundred KiB) than Asus's own official firmware images.

I wonder what the exact limit is. If we exclude the CFE and nvram regions, we have 0x20000 through 0x3F0000, which yields 0x3D0000, or 3,997,696 bytes (Asus's latest official firmware for the RT-N12 is 3,960,832 bytes). Unless there are other regions that must be excluded on the RT-N12 that I'm unaware of (I'm pretty new to this stuff)...
Madness832
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 13:04    Post subject: Asus RT-N12B1 Reply with quote
I just flashed it to v24-16785. The router is working as it should, except that the wireless LED no longer flashes. Is that normal?
Stonesouls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 16:12    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-N12B1 Reply with quote
Madness832 wrote:
I just flashed it to v24-16785. The router is working as it should, except that the wireless LED no longer flashes. Is that normal?

I have the same condition and the N band works fine, though I can't seem to get it past 144 mbps.

Has anybody upgraded past v24-16785 on the RT-N12B1 successfully with stability of operation?
jarbas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 21:55    Post subject: newest firmware Reply with quote
Edited: removed by poster due to irrelevancy after digging a bit through the forum

Last edited by jarbas on Fri Jun 15, 2012 17:12; edited 1 time in total
Stonesouls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Asus RT-N12B1 Modification Reply with quote
I pretty much have set up this router to operate at max speed and max power for the N band.

Hard 30/30/30 reset and several power cycles will do it. I set the software to Mode AP, Network N-Only, Channel 6 + 4, TX Power 71 mW Max and 40 Mhz.

40 Mhz being the key. This has given me a pretty constant and stable rate of 216 Mbps.

I have also made a few mechanical alterations using passive heat sinks on the CPU and the memory. I permanently installed them using Arctic Silver AATA-5G Alumina Adhesive Thermal Epoxy. Five time more efficient than Thermal tape.

Turning up the TX power four times will generate more heat.

Anybody who is interested in the details drop me a line.

hs12b1.jpg
 Description:
Heat sinks on CPU and memory.
 Filesize:  119.76 KB
 Viewed:  25369 Time(s)

hs12b1.jpg

adh12b1.jpg
 Description:
Arctic Silver AATA-5G Alumina Adhesive Thermal Epoxy on CPU and memory
 Filesize:  124.09 KB
 Viewed:  25369 Time(s)

adh12b1.jpg

jdacura
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
mydogisntmydog wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:
jwineinger wrote:
dzolas wrote:
Hi, I wanted to upload dd-wrt into my new router RT-N12 but I've made big mistake. What i did: I downloaded dd-wrt firmware for RT-N12 and then used 30/30/30 method. I was in ASUS recovery mod and uploaded a firmware. But before it i click to reload NVRAM values. All was done correctly - firmware was uploaded. And then i waited and try to reopen web GUI but nothing happened so I re-plug cable from router. Router was still in recovery mod because light only power LED and my PC led. But some mysterious for me ... Wink ... router's led light (only PC and POWER) and then router get reset - all LEDs power off and again start PC and PWR and this was cycling. So this I wouldn't do , but I've done that: I again click on erase NVRAM in web GUI (i think double click Confused ) and my ROUTER goes to ... ALL LEDs light and nothing happen. I've tried reset router , pres reset button , again 30/30/30 ... but nothing work. I let router running during night but still same thing ... all led light and nothing. Is any solution or anything what i can do ? Thax lot for any ideas.

EDIT: ... When i conect ethernet cable to pc and router there is no response in pc. ... I uploaded a dd-wrt only one time. But i think i select bad version. I think I've got RT-N12 rev. B. I've checked sticker on back side of router and in right corner is HW rev B1 and I select dd-wrt for RT-N12 not for B. But i think that wasnt critical mistake because after web gui's uploaded this firmware router still was in recovery mode and gui was still accessible and i could select firmware to upload. It must be something with NVRAM. I was searching 2 days and nothing work Embarassed TankX

The same thing just happened to me. I got a rev B1 from Newegg and attempted to install DD-WRT via the alternate method shown http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12 with the trx file shown there as well. After uploading the firmware, the router went into a reboot cycle where I couldn't stay connected long enough to do anything except click the "restore NVRAM default values" link on the recovery page. Shortly after all of the lights on it lit up at about 1/2 brightness and stayed that way. Power cycling does nothing, reset button does nothing, WPS button does nothing (including 30/30/30s with each). Looks like a brick to me. Any ideas?

Not sure you can brick the RT-N12s - just use the firmware recovery utility that comes on the CD with the router (you'll need a good copy of the firmware file - and I recommend downloading the latest stock firmware to recover with).

There's some instructions for using the utility - you might need static IP addressing on your PC, and plugged in via a cable - then you unplug the power, use something to press and hold the recessed button whilst powering on your RT-N12, and keep it held in until the power light starts to blink slowly. Then you use the firmware recovery utility to upload the firmware file - as I said, I'd recommend downloading / using the latest stock firmware for this, then you know you've got the correct firmware file for it.

I'll give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Holding the reset button (or the WPS button) for any length of time does nothing -- all of the lights always stay on. If I power cycle it, all of the lights immediately come on as soon as I plug it in -- it doesn't look like there is any kind of booting up going on. A computer plugged into the router does not get an active link and always shows "disconnected" so I couldn't even try the ping diagnosis for bricked routers mentioned in #6 on the peacock thread.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry - I'm reasonably confident the utility will rescue it. I've got 2 RT-N12s (B1 revisions) and have flashed them with the wrong DD-WRT firmware file, before now - and they were pretty unusable.

Just get the stock firmware file on your PC, plug it in to the router via ethernet cable, configure your PC to use a static address. Then you have to unplug your router (so all power removed), then use something to press and hold-in the recessed restore button (ie not the WPS button), keep it pressed in (you really need 3 hands for this! Wink) then plug the power adapter lead back in. All the time, still keep the recessed restore button held pressed, then wait until the power light starts to flash slowly - only then release the restore button.

Then run the utilitiy, browse to the firmware file, and let it do it's thing. I've done this several times - first time I had to do it, as I'd "bricked" (I put that in quotes, because I'm not convinced you can actually brick these just by flashing the wrong firmware files), and it was just looping through reboots.

edit: sorry, forgot to say - don't go off the thread, here, or any other diagnosis or fixing threads, here - you don't need them for this router. Just use the utility that comes on the small CD with the router, and have the stock firmware downloaded from the ASUS site (so you know you're starting from a good firmware image file).

Mine has been completely unusable, several times - reboot cycles, not even pingable - as I said, I don't think you can brick them by flashing the wrong file, I believe the firmware restoration utility will be able to recover it.

for some reason on the new rt-n12-b1 I have been getting are not taking the 16785 anymore and doing the exact same thing (upload firmware - infinite rebooting).

you actually dont need to do a 30/30/30 on a a B1. Simply plug in the stock B1, wait 20 or so for it to boot up and make sure you can access the asus web gui.

if so, unplug power, press the reset and hold (as in the 30/30/30) and plug in the power. wait 15 seconds and you will see the asus web utility (http://192.168.1.1).

the 16785 does not load onto the new B1's so you have to use the 17084 and it works fine. hope this solves the issues with moving to dd-wrt on the B1 with a stock firmware.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 35 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: