Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:44    Post subject: Re: Diversity Chip Ectomy? How to run just one antenna relia Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
danielwritesback wrote:
How do I physically disconnect the diversity feature as well as some of the filter mess to save it from eventual suicide?

Not sure about a physical mod, but in the firmware you can select either one to always be used.

I've had trouble with it not tolerating different antennas, not tolerating only 1 antenna of any sort, and randomly switching antenna jacks.

Since it doesn't have the obvious hardware "Y" via chip, like a Linksys, I've been considering a hardware mod in order to run dual-biquad, yagi, etc. . .

The unit does seem to be overly filtered at the output, making itself ill.
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry my friend. The only involvement that could possibly interest me concerning this piece of shit radio requires sledge hammers and / or KV range high voltage transformers.
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
Sorry my friend. The only involvement that could possibly interest me concerning this piece of shit radio requires sledge hammers and / or KV range high voltage transformers.

Well, the radio is the same chipset as many of the Broadcom devices; however. . . This particular circuit board has some extraneous counterproductive parts in-between the radio and antenna jack, plus 50 ohm circuit traces that resemble a traffic jam. It is the location of the "shit" that you mention, because there is literally junk in the signal path of an otherwise excellent radio.

Colloquially speaking, your description is accurate, except not the radio itself, but rather. . .

This circuit (between radio and antenna) is physically different than a Linksys, and thus the firmware selection of antenna ports doesn't work reliably, especially after a reboot.

Edit: I'm not sure if its cause (execrable circuit layout not compatible) or if its effect (very irritated radio not eager to accept alternative antennas). And, I'm not sure where to install a bypass.
somms
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewill

There is a reason why Rosewill aka Newegg brand stuff is so cheap...it is generally junk! Wink
ItzuSun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote
So I just bought this router, and I looked in the wiki and found that it's basically the same as "NETCORE NW618 PB20"

So I looked it up in the router database, and it has 5-6 files.... do I download ALL the files? or what?

Also, I saw "DD-WRT Privacy", is this like VPN? or what?
StupidOrg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone confirm which file we are to download? for the Rosewill RNX-GX4.

I saw on 3rd page someone attached: "dd-wrt.v24-13807_NEWD_mini.bin" but post is a bit old can anyone confirm this is right/best one to use?
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31    Post subject: Circa 2017 firmware Reply with quote
Version 33215 works fine on this router (and probably other BCM5354 like the D-Link DIR-320).
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-25-2017-r33215/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

Plug in the wan to get initial access working and then put
Code:
nvram set vlan1ports="0 5"
in the startup script (and save it) to straighten out the Rosewill's port assignment.

In the photo attached, notice the "bufferbloat" score is an A, which also means almost no latency. It could be used as a gaming router. CPU load was at 9% with 15Mbps cable. Perhaps it could even do 50Mbps cable. I suggest to set the wifi to g-only, afterburner on, frameburst on.

dslreports_speedtest.jpg
 Description:
on basic cable
 Filesize:  16.23 KB
 Viewed:  3574 Time(s)

dslreports_speedtest.jpg

danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34    Post subject: range fix $2 Reply with quote
The Rosewill's lesser wifi range can be resolved by replacing the mostly plastic antennas with these with more metal inside: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252317415888? 12x200mm, 6dbi. After refit, wifi survey can confirm reception range is greater.

It is curious that neither smaller nor larger antennas that I tried had worked as well for the Rosewill.

Inside is an oversize brass thing, an inch long coil and a solid copper whip that goes nearly the entire length--quite a bit more material than expected for $1 apiece.

s-l1600[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.84 KB
 Viewed:  3291 Time(s)

s-l1600[1].jpg

Azenha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Re: range fix $2 Reply with quote
It is 2018 and I am still using my RNX-GX4 as my main router. It is extremely stable, reliable and never-ever requires to be re-booted or looses signal. I've configured DD-WRT on the router to run two DHCP servers on two separate isolated sub-nets with dedicated virtual SSIDs and even redirected one of the physical ports (one sub-net for me and one for the kids and guests).

I have other N and AC dual-band routers that I use as access points off the RNX-GX4, but it is my main "control" router and it is also my fall-back WiFi router because of reliability.

Also, a few years back I replaced the antennas with 12dBi antennas and forced transmission power to 100mw which amazingly boosted the transmission range. These are the antennas that I used for anyone that still has this router:

Price $2.54US each with free shipping
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-12dBi-SMA-Wireless-WIFI-Network-WLAN-Antenna/32602612824.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Y1oRys

BTW, I am currently using DD-WRT ver.3 release "01-19-2018-r34578" (Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34578 std (01/19/1Cool). Very stable and reliable. And, with the replaced antennas, I get amazing signal strength.
jeffkoch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:08    Post subject: Re: range fix $2 Reply with quote
Azenha wrote:
BTW, I am currently using DD-WRT ver.3 release "01-19-2018-r34578" (Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34578 std (01/19/1Cool). Very stable and reliable. And, with the replaced antennas, I get amazing signal strength.

Are you using the dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin?

I too am still using my RNX-GX4 with dd-wrt, but I've been negligent and need to update.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 14:07    Post subject: saved the day Reply with quote
Azenha wrote:
...I am currently using...DD-WRT v3.0-r34578 std (01/19/1Cool). Very stable and reliable.

Thank you so much for news about the firmware.

Recently, my cable company made a change to a faster speed, they said. My newer model atheros routers turn on all the LED's flashing like crazy while slowing down to a crawl; so, the 9 year old Rosewill came out of the desk drawer.
I had some doubts.
However...
This is working so much better than expected.
It has no problem routing 38 megabits (I paid for 30), videoconferencing, laptop vpn, browsing, ip phone, streaming, with multiple users, all simultaneously.
Aside from brisk web pages, the most noticeable difference is when asking the Google Home for the temperature, there's no more duh. . . . . . delay, but instead, it responds instantly.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: