Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its different for different environments, so you really have to tweak around with it and see what works best for you.

For some basics though, I always use WPA2 / AES for wireless security and set Tx to 40mW instead of default 71.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
Drackula2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm ok I take it the Tx makes the antenna power change? And I already had the security settings thanks!
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Munden wrote:
<snip>
once you've got dd-wrt up and running you'll see your mac id is 00:90:4c:c0:00:01 - you'll want to change that. Go ahead and run the administration command

nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac you wrote down.
<snip>

This didn't work for me in r14929, and I noticed that in nvram the three relevant MAC addresses were called lan_hwaddr, wan_hwaddr, and wl0_hwaddr. These three will match up with the three on the MAC address sticker on the bottom of the router. From that, only lan_hwaddr could be changed using nvram set, and only for that boot. The other two can be set using MAC Clone in the webGUI. So, set the WAN and wireless MAC addresses using the clone MAC address page and set LAN by adding the following line as a startup script (doable in the webGUI):
nvram set lan_hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed "dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin" v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 14896 from the Netcore NW618 download link.

Whenever I enter the command via WebGUI: nvram commit

I get: nvram lock, waiting....

I also try the telnet way and it looks like it goes, but the mac doesn't change. If I enter the command without the nvram commit it works. But I want it to stay in nvram even after a hard reboot or restore factory settings.

I did a 30/30/30 hard reset and also a nvram erase command. How to I commit it so when I do a restore factory settings or hard rest my MAC addresses stay and NOT get mac id is 00:90:4c:c0:00:01 ?

Also there is no light indicators when you reset by pressing the little button.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
john9871 wrote:
I also try the telnet way and it looks like it goes, but the mac doesn't change. If I enter the command without the nvram commit it works. But I want it to stay in nvram even after a hard reboot or restore factory settings.

You should run the commands from telnet. Each of these 3 lines is a separate command. You have to hit "enter" after each line before entering the next command.

Quote:
nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
nvram commit
reboot
john9871
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek,

I understand the telnet commands. I was just trying to figure out how to keep the changed MAC and vlan1 settings after factory reset or hard reset.

On another note, after a reboot the LAN port doesn't respond and I have to disable/renable the computers NIC or unplug/plug in the network cable back into the router to get it to work again.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
john9871 wrote:
I understand the telnet commands. I was just trying to figure out how to keep the changed MAC and vlan1 settings after factory reset or hard reset.

Oh, now I understand. I think this is a handicap that will have to be tolerated.

john9871 wrote:
On another note, after a reboot the LAN port doesn't respond and I have to disable/renable the computers NIC or unplug/plug in the network cable back into the router to get it to work again.

That is an easy wrong conclusion to jump to due to this piece of shit radio taking forever to boot up and start responding. Start a ping loop and then reboot it. After 2 and a half or 3 minutes it will start working.

NewEgg got their clock cleaned on this junk ass radio. For about $10 more you can get a an Asus rt-N12 that has about 6 times more hardware capacity under the hood.
unplug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04    Post subject: Bricked my Rosewill RNX-GX4 Reply with quote
I heard that this router is tomato compatible and thought it was inexpensive.

I flashed it with the non-ND version of tomato. I don't know how to unbrick it.

I downloaded Tftpd32 and change the folder to where I save the firmware I got from Rosewill. Change my computer's IP to 192.168.1.33 with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. Unplug the router, hold reset and plug the router, nothing happened.

I tried "tftp -i 192.168.1.1. upgrade_linux.trx" too. Got Timed out.

I can ping the router alright. But nothing else seemed to work. I can't find cisco tftp server.

Is there a way to unbrick this router?
TopBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased this router to take advantage of DD-WRT at a very reasonable price.

But so far no luck getting this thing working, and by that I mean receive an IP address on the WAN port from the ISP.

I have taken all the steps suggested, and have gotten nowhere.

1. changed the MAC (using telnet) to match the previous router
2. waiting 10+ mins before powering on Comcast modem.
3. restarting router and modem

I have two Linksys routers, and they pick up a public IP no problem.

One post suggested Comcast blocks DD-WRT, or something to that effect. But I am yet to read anything conclusive on that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm just going to RMA this thing back to Newegg.

Cheers!
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
TopBanana wrote:

There are more steps + special firmware. Read this entire thread a little closer.
TopBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
TopBanana wrote:

There are more steps + special firmware. Read this entire thread a little closer.

Cheers!
Missed the bit about the W setting in VLAN setup, now it's working like a charm.

Thanks again.
itzzspencer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
jw, is anyone have problems connecting to this router wirelessly? replaced my friend's previous crappy dd-wrt enabled router with this one. i have no problem connecting to it, but ALL the computers in this house gets "unidentified network" but its connected.

any advice anyone? thanks
Doppleganger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unplug, hold reset, plug, send firmware, holding reset button...

I've been going in circles all night trying to unbrick this rosewill rnx-gx4.

Been using tftp to try to send it. Is the timing that critical that a few milliseconds either way won't work?

I'm about to just trash this thing and buy another one.
Doppleganger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
This one's a loss. Can't be unbricked. After trying about 100 times with tftp or the Draytek utilities... it just ain't gonna go.

There must be a .0001 second window in which this stuff works. I can ping the router with the ip of 192.168.1.1, but that's it.

The instructions never said whether you were supposed to RELEASE the reset button when sending the firmware, too.
Doppleganger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24    Post subject: Re: Bricked my Rosewill RNX-GX4 Reply with quote
unplug wrote:

Is there a way to unbrick this router?

Tried the tftp method until i threw the thing across the room. My experience with this thing is "no".
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: