Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
kadrex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, I don't use dd-wrt. I use another firmware but decided to register/reply to the thread since I used it as source when I first got the router a year ago. I also struggled to get the previous procedure working. After countless tries, I found this works best for me. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone else.

Launch cisco tftp program and set root directory C:\RNX-GX4 Recovery in options with the filename upgrade_linux.trx (Imagine program of choice will work)

Manually set the IP to 192.168.1.30 (30 is random) and subnetmask to 255.255.255.0

Then unplug the power connection and the ethernet connection to the pc at the back of the router.

Press in the reset button and leave it pressed as one reconnects the power.

Wait a few seconds til the lights stop blinking and release the reset button.

Reconnect the ethernet connection.
Sponsor
BJ0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, I bricked my RNX-GX4, though due to the awesomeness of Newegg support, I got a new one free of charge. I was going to throw the bricked one away, though I thought I would give jtagging a try.

I used the diagram for this cable: http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/files/wrt_jtag_158.png

However, I used a pinout I found of the J6 port on the PCB. I did a quick test with an LED and discovered that the diagram could be interpreted as being the wrong direction, so I created the attached image (I found the picture from Google Images, though added the text).

I also discovered the flash chip that's detected by probing it.
Code:
C:\Users\Ben\Desktop\New folder>tjtag64.exe -probeonly

==============================================
 EJTAG Debrick Utility v3.0.1 X64 Tornado-MOD
==============================================

Selected  port  = 0x378

This is a 64bit system 1
Probing bus ... Done

Instruction Length set to 8

CPU Chip ID: 00110101001101010100000101111111 (3535417F)
*** Found a Broadcom BCM5354 KFBG Rev 3 CPU chip ***

- EJTAG IMPCODE ....... : 00000000100000010000100100000100 (00810904)
    - EJTAG Version ....... : 1 or 2.0
    - EJTAG DMA Support ... : Yes
    - EJTAG Implementation flags: R4k MIPS16 MIPS32

Issuing Processor / Peripheral Reset ... Done
Enabling Memory Writes ... Done
Halting Processor ... <Processor Entered Debug Mode!> ... Done
Clearing Watchdog ... Done

Probing Flash at (Flash Window: 0x1fc00000) ...
Done

Flash Vendor ID: 00000000000000000000000011000010 (000000C2)
Flash Device ID: 00000000000000000010000000010110 (00002016)
*** Found a Macronix MX25L3205D        (4MB) Serial Flash Chip ***

- Flash Chip Window Start .... : 1fc00000
    - Flash Chip Window Length ... : 00400000
    - Selected Area Start ........ : 00000000
    - Selected Area Length ....... : 00000000

*** REQUESTED OPERATION IS COMPLETE ***

C:\Users\Ben\Desktop\New folder>

The chip normally covered by a sticker was a WINBOND W9812G61H-6.

No luck on the JTAG recovery yet, though I haven't tried very much.

Rosewill_RNX-GX4-JTAG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.88 KB
 Viewed:  17854 Time(s)

Rosewill_RNX-GX4-JTAG.jpg

GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to repair the 4 cold solder joints on U3 before you do very much else. Prolly more cold solder joints if you look for them. Even for free, this rosewill radio is not worth the price, and should simply be smashed to bits with a hammer so you can get on with yer life.
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
BJ0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heh, It's temping. Though the new router is humming along just fine.

That picture isn't mine, the only reason why my router was bricked was because I was on Tomato 1.27, then upgraded to 1.28 through the web interface, unfortunately something must of gone wrong. In any case, I'm very happy with the performance I'm getting out of a router I paid $25 for Very Happy
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BJ0 wrote:
In any case, I'm very happy with the performance I'm getting out of a router I paid $25 for Very Happy

$25 ? DAMN ! You've been badly robbed.

Lookie ;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704008
That is a high quality radio with more features and funtionality than any 3rd party firmware will provide. As an extra bonus, all the features work !

Quote:
- Built-in NAT and DHCP server supporting static IP address distributing.

- Shares data and Internet access for users, supporting PPPoE, Dynamic IP, Static IP, L2TP, PPTP, BigPond Cable Internet access.

- Built-in firewall supporting IP address filtering, Domain Name filtering, and MAC address filtering.
Provides Wireless LAN ACL (Access Control List).

- Supports Flow Statistics.

- Supports Virtual Server, Special Application and DMZ host.

- Supports UPnP, Dynamic DNS, Static Routing, VPN Pass-through.

- Supports ICMP-FLOOD, UDP-FLOOD, and TCP-SYN-FLOOD filter.

- Ignores Ping packets from WAN or LAN ports.

- Supports connecting/disconnecting from the Internet on a specified time of day.

- Supports access control, parents and network administrators can establish restricted access policies based on time of day for children or staff.

- Supports firmware upgrade.

- Supports Remote and Web management.

- Establish a 54Mbps wireless connection, sharing Internet Access, download file or play game
IP based bandwidth control allows administrators to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each PC

- WDS wireless bridge provides seamless bridge to expand wireless network

Shocked Shocked

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
BJ0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason I'm trying to get the router working again is because I want to use the serial port on it. I don't wish to buy another router that doesn't allow me to use custom firmwares. Regardless, that router is the same price as the Rosewill (When it was on sale) on Newegg.ca.

I am open to suggestions for inexpensive routers that do support DD-WRT and have a serial port (USB would be awesome too).
However, I would love to get my broken current RNX-GX4 in a working state. Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble.

tjtag now throws this error when I try to probe it:

Code:
*** Unknown or NO Flash Chip Detected **

The LEDs stay lit, except for the system LED and the 2nd LAN LED. The last thing I did was flash a CFE downloaded from that CFE thread. If I add /fc:21 to the regular backup:cfe128, it seems to readout fine!

If I run flash:cfe128 /fc:21, it seems to hang at "Erasing block: 1 (addr = 1fc00000)...".

One possibility that I thought of was that I had been previously using the regular flash:cfe command rather than flash:cfe128 when trying to get it working last night.
When I run the first command, the total blocks to erase would be 4, though with the cfe128 option I would have 2 total blocks to erase. Since the CFE for this router is 128 KB, could using the normal command cause problems?

Another possibility is the cable, which is about 7" and not all the wires are exactly the same length. I could remake it this weekend if someone thinks it's bad enough. I also only have one ground soldered onto the PCB, could that cause problems like this?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
TL;DR
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:

Lookie ;
That is a high quality radio with more features and funtionality than any 3rd party firmware will provide. As an extra bonus, all the features work !

What 3rd party firmware? It's on the incompatible list for dd-wrt.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
somms
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
GeeTek wrote:

Lookie ;

Think that was meant as a sarcastic statement bro...or you get what you pay for! Wink
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
somms wrote:
Dark_Shadow wrote:
GeeTek wrote:

Lookie ;

Think that was meant as a sarcastic statement bro...or you get what you pay for! Wink
Embarassed

Sorry GT

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
BJ0 wrote:

tjtag now throws this error when I try to probe it:

Code:
*** Unknown or NO Flash Chip Detected **

The LEDs stay lit, except for the system LED and the 2nd LAN LED. The last thing I did was flash a CFE downloaded from that CFE thread. If I add /fc:21 to the regular backup:cfe128, it seems to readout fine!

If I run flash:cfe128 /fc:21, it seems to hang at "Erasing block: 1 (addr = 1fc00000)...".

Why did you erase your boot loader without having verified first (with a serial terminal connection) that it was needed? The router is fucked now..
Your previous half-brick is now a full-brick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

Why did you erase your boot loader without having verified first (with a serial terminal connection) that it was needed? The router is fucked now..
Your previous half-brick is now a full-brick.

Yeah, that was a stupid move on my part. I finished making the JTAG cable late in the day and just ran through the JTAG page before bed. When will I ever learn Rolling Eyes

Though due to me getting the free replacement router (Which is running excellently!), It's not a big deal. However, I may pick a DD-WRT compatible router at some point to mess around with.
rvader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm posting this here because it's the 1st page that comes up when you google RNX-GX4 bricked

I was running another firmware on this router and tried to upgrade it, and it bricked.
for over an hour i tried the recovery procedures and it failed..
I googled for a while and saw many people give up.
and then I got it figured out and working (repeatable)
so i figured i'd post up to help out others who get in this situation..

1st thing you should know is this router is very time specific in the recovery procedure, you have less than 5 seconds to send the firmware and it has to be a certain time or else you get nothing.

so here is how you do it.

1) set IP to 192.168.1.xx (.33 is suggested, but i dont think it matters)
2) hook cat 5 cable to router port 1 (not wan port) and to your pc/laptop
3) get a KNOWN working firmware or the stock rosewill firmware ready
4) get tftp32 up and running
5) place the .trx file in the root of the tftp32 folder
6) configure tftp32 CLIENT
host 192.168.1.1
select the file you just put in the root
port 69
and dont touch anything else here
7) open a dos box (cmd) and type ping -t 192.168.1.1
note: i saw instructions somewhere, where someone said to do this, but said not to hit enter.. this is wrong. you need to see what's going on to know when to send the firmware
Cool go ahead and hit enter in your dos box.
you'll start seeing destination not founds

9) keep your tftp32 and dos box open and side by side so you can see and interact with them
10) take a saftey pin or other sharp object, unplug in the router, insert saftey pin in default hole in the back, hold it down and plug in the router.. you'll see the led's light up, as soon as they start blinking count to 10 and let go of the saftey pin and the blinking will stop

11) watch the ping window, after about 30 - 60 seconds you will see a respond from 192.168.1.1
AS SOON AS YOU SEE THE 1ST RESPONSE click "put" on your tftp32 window

If you do not do this on the 1st or 2nd response, you will have to start all over.

the router only responds for about 4-5 seconds and then it no longer responds.
which is why if you are doing it blind (no ping windows) you are pissing in the wind with this process

if you did it correctly, you will send the trx file being Tftp'd over in a few seconds.

do NOTHING but sit there and watch your ping window about 1-2 minutes, you'll start to see responses from 192.168.1.1

at this point you can stop thinking about throwing this router in the garbage.

i hope this helps someone who googles through Smile
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44    Post subject: Diversity Chip Ectomy? How to run just one antenna reliably? Reply with quote
Well, if this were a linksys, it would take about 5 minutes to put the coax in the spot where the diversity chip was.
And then you get really reliable support for Dish, Biquad, Cantenna, Yagi, Vagi and Collinear.

Unfortunately, this Rosewill / Netcore, has a real mess for antenna hookup. This is seemingly the cause of the short longevity if you happen to use just 1 antenna or anything more elaborate than a matched set of generic China +6 (same as Rosewill's +5). Well I'd sure like to use a collinear instead.

Unfortunately, anything but modest antennas really irritate the radio. The antenna AB selection can change jacks at random after a reboot or power up. That's not good if there's just 1 antenna hooked up.

How do I physically disconnect the diversity feature as well as some of the filter mess to save it from eventual suicide?

Thanks!
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 19:39    Post subject: Re: Diversity Chip Ectomy? How to run just one antenna relia Reply with quote
danielwritesback wrote:
How do I physically disconnect the diversity feature as well as some of the filter mess to save it from eventual suicide?

Not sure about a physical mod, but in the firmware you can select either one to always be used.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: