Routers with serial port inside WAN port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
WithinRafael wrote:
Thanks for the cable tip. This CA-42 cable simply has Rx, Tx, and Gnd. I should be able to simply touch my Rx w/ its Tx and see data... right? (It works in Avatar.) As the chip is receiving power from the USB port, I ignored the router's 3.3v.

No, you need to connect ground to ground to get stable output.

Sponsor
kju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
The connections you only need 3 wires? GND, TX and RX? The 3.3V is not necessary?

Can I use the original Com/LAN Cisco console cable? When you modify the LAN plug?

Cable ID 72-3383-01
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Cisco-72-3383-01
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko, can you post a video of how to strip the cable? Embarassed

I really don't know how you stripped it and put that plastic thing below the wires..
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Eko, can you post a video of how to strip the cable? Embarassed

I really don't know how you stripped it and put that plastic thing below the wires..

I already explained how, it's very simple. After you have it stripped then just bend it to make space between the insulation and wire, and then put a piece of insulation between them to push the wire out slightly.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=448566#448566

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks phuz~! But I'm so dumb I can't make it, I spend at least 3 hours trying, if I strip too much it break the wires, if I strip less I can't put a piece of insulation when I bend. I'm using IDE ribbon (flat?) cable, is this the correct one?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Thanks phuz~! But I'm so dumb I can't make it, I spend at least 3 hours trying, if I strip too much it break the wires, if I strip less I can't put a piece of insulation when I bend. I'm using IDE ribbon (flat?) cable, is this the correct one?

Welcome to the world of wtf Razz

It took me 3 ~ 4 tries.. It is not as easy as the picture make it look.

Tip: Wrap or bend the ribbon cable around something small and round Very Happy

Like a small screw driver handle Smile . Strip away with a SHARP (the secret.. sharp) razor blade. Not too deep. Just expose the conductors. You will need to pry the conductors out with a pin or needle without separating the strands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's why I asked for a video :(

I'm thinking about remove all the insulation because rj45 connector is already an insulation. I'll try it in a few hours!

Thanks BW!
ESKIMOn00b
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
i actually ran into an oddity that made my job easier. i pulled an IDE cable outta a drawer of unused parts, god only knows where it came from or how old it is. eitherway its not stranded wire, just a single tiny wire. havent actually used my cable yet, just kinda got ADD when i saw the thread and had to build it. so im not really sure how it'll work. it musta been an old ass IDE cable.

ps i have noticed that its a little harder to bend than some other IDE cables i have (but i havent cut into them so????)
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
That's why I asked for a video :(

I'm thinking about remove all the insulation because rj45 connector is already an insulation. I'll try it in a few hours!

Thanks BW!

The point of leaving most of the insulation on is to keep the wires straight and separated so that they'll get proper contact on the pads, and a RJ45 plug isn't going to help at all with that. It's also needed to put that extra piece of insulation between so that the wires protrude and will get pushed down by the RJ45 plug to make good contact.

I didn't really have any problem making mine and I was using a rather dull pocket knife instead of a good sharp utility knife (razor blade). I had it on a flat surface and kept the blade as flat as possible, just barely angled to slice into the insulation. If you don't cut enough off the first time then you can always cut more, just do it gently and don't cut too deep so that you don't cut the wire. I had a single strand wire which is easier to work with than braided wire.

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n, barryware: Call me dumb, call me whatever you guys want. I did the cable, but again it won't make good contact to the pads or no contact at all. I measured 3,3V and it gave 0,50V. I'll post a pic of it when I get home. Do I need to remove all the RJ45 "lock"?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
phuzi0n, barryware: Call me dumb, call me whatever you guys want. I did the cable, but again it won't make good contact to the pads or no contact at all. I measured 3,3V and it gave 0,50V. I'll post a pic of it when I get home. Do I need to remove all the RJ45 "lock"?

Check the connection between the main serial cable and the ribbon cable to see if that's where you're losing power.

Using a RJ45 jack that didn't have a clip helped fit it in for me. The clip was cutting into the insulation of the ribbon cable enough to expose wire and I was afraid that it might eventually sever the wire.

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried without the clip and with just the front of the clip, no joy. I couldn't take a good picture either. Jesus, I'm out of luck. I measured power supply and it gave 12,26V WITHOUT load, too low?

Edit: Just measured the psu from my TM, 12,26V too so is not the psu.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I tried without the clip and with just the front of the clip, no joy. I couldn't take a good picture either. Jesus, I'm out of luck. I measured power supply and it gave 12,26V WITHOUT load, too low?

Edit: Just measured the psu from my TM, 12,26V too so is not the psu.

Huh, why are you measuring the PSU? Was your previous 0.50V measurement from the serial pads in the WAN jack or the cable you made?

The ribbon cable needs to be connected to a 3.3V TTL cable and you need to make sure that you connect the wires correctly to match up with the pads in the WAN jack.

fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Huh, why are you measuring the PSU? Was your previous 0.50V measurement from the serial pads in the WAN jack or the cable you made?

From the cable I made. I was worried about damaging something if I measured the pads directly with my multimeter probe, like touching the other pad and short it.

Quote:
The ribbon cable needs to be connected to a 3.3V TTL cable and you need to make sure that you connect the wires correctly to match up with the pads in the WAN jack.

Yes, but this cable is the worst part. Just to be sure, router PROVIDES 3,3V, right? I was sure of that, but now I'm not sure about anything. 2 days struggling with a cable that everybody can do except me.

Did you removed ALL the clip of RJ45? Is it flat? Yesterday I tried removing everything, but it wouldn't touch the pads, today I tried with only the front of the clip and it was sliding the cables back, creating a mess.

This is basically what I did:

1) Removed the insulation with a sharp knife
2) Bended the ribbon cable and pushed the wires with a niddle
3) Putted a piece of insulation between the insulation and the wires
4) Glueded the ribbon cable to RJ45 connector, making sure the wires was really on the end of the back of the connector (sorry about the english)
5) Plugged it into the router and checked if was a short
6) Powered the router and checked for 3,3V

That's it.

I'm gonna beg for a picture, really! Crying or Very sad
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
From the cable I made. I was worried about damaging something if I measured the pads directly with my multimeter probe, like touching the other pad and short it.

Yes, but this cable is the worst part. Just to be sure, router PROVIDES 3,3V, right? I was sure of that, but now I'm not sure about anything. 2 days struggling with a cable that everybody can do except me.

Did you removed ALL the clip of RJ45? Is it flat? Yesterday I tried removing everything, but it wouldn't touch the pads, today I tried with only the front of the clip and it was sliding the cables back, creating a mess.

This is basically what I did:

1) Removed the insulation with a sharp knife
2) Bended the ribbon cable and pushed the wires with a niddle
3) Putted a piece of insulation between the insulation and the wires
4) Glueded the ribbon cable to RJ45 connector, making sure the wires was really on the end of the back of the connector (sorry about the english)
5) Plugged it into the router and checked if was a short
6) Powered the router and checked for 3,3V

That's it.

I'm gonna beg for a picture, really! Crying or Very sad

Then you need to fix the connection between the serial cable and the ribbon cable so that 3.3V is making it through the ribbon cable.

The router can provide the 3.3V Vcc but depending on your serial cable, it may not be needed. I have a CA-42 cable with only 3 wires so it doesn't need Vcc from the router. It took me two days too because I screwed up and wired the serial cable's ground to the ribbon cable/routers's Vcc instead of ground.

I use a plug that had its clip broken off long ago, there's still a stub on the very end which can push the ribbon cable in too much if not done right.

Gluing the ribbon cable to the plug is probably going to prevent it from making contact with the pads because there's a slight gap between the bottom edge of the RJ45 jack and the PCB. You might try just using something like a pencil or pliers to push down on the ribbon cable to make sure it gets contact just to test it.

The only easy part for me was stripping the ribbon cable. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: