Routers with serial port inside WAN port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
slimey wrote:
ugly as sin but it works

Is that hot glue? Does it work well? I've had problems keeping my wires in place and that seems like it might do the trick.

Sponsor
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think is a CA-42 cable without cover and new wires soldered on the board going direct to the RJ45 connector.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
fseka wrote:
Still a question :-)

how to you manage to align them so precisely?

Thanks
--
fseka

check with an ohm meter before router power up.

No shorts or opens to ground (except ground (pin 4 (conductor)), not shorts from pin to pin (conductor)

Vcc (pin 1) to tx (right next door) will fry the serial circuit!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I am interested in buying one of those custom made cables - the one you did for example Ink. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to build one myself, but should be ok using one.

Anyone would be interested to help and make a small benefit Smile
I tried to PM a few board members but I'm not sure the PM system works (no responses).

Thanks everyone
CPhoenix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Argh, spent all afternoon on this and its driving me nuts.

I bricked my E2000, like many others I mistakenly downloaded a non E2000 firmware. She's now sat there just flashing the power light (and each LAN light comes on as you connect to a port) and despite going through all the software options (30-30-30, Ping tests, etc.) there still wasn't any response.

Received a CA-42 cable today, made my ribbon cable to connect to the WAN Serial port, checked my connections (5 cable), I do a battery connection so that I can install drivers and set up hyperterminal. I also link Tx Rx on the cable alone and I get a local echo.

Happy with that plugged in and check the ribbon cable's conenctions before before powering up. Everything is fine, switch the E2000 on and try to connect via hyperterminal..... nothing. Immediately disconnection and check all the connections once more and try again... still nothing.

Is there something fundamental I'm doing wrong as I thought I followed all the wiki pages as required.

Cheers,
CP
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPhoenix wrote:
Argh, spent all afternoon on this and its driving me nuts.

I bricked my E2000, like many others I mistakenly downloaded a non E2000 firmware. She's now sat there just flashing the power light (and each LAN light comes on as you connect to a port) and despite going through all the software options (30-30-30, Ping tests, etc.) there still wasn't any response.

Received a CA-42 cable today, made my ribbon cable to connect to the WAN Serial port, checked my connections (5 cable), I do a battery connection so that I can install drivers and set up hyperterminal. I also link Tx Rx on the cable alone and I get a local echo.

Happy with that plugged in and check the ribbon cable's conenctions before before powering up. Everything is fine, switch the E2000 on and try to connect via hyperterminal..... nothing. Immediately disconnection and check all the connections once more and try again... still nothing.

Is there something fundamental I'm doing wrong as I thought I followed all the wiki pages as required.

Cheers,
CP

Make sure the ca-42 shows up in the device manager as a com port.. Then make sure you configured ht for that com port. If you read the wiki, no need to go over the settings..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny you should say that.... when I connect it & power up, it gives me COM21 in HT. Strangely it doesn't show up under Ports in the hardware manager.

Surely if that was the case, I wouldn't be getting local echo when I short the Rx/Tx pins?
CPhoenix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
little help (please)?

I must have been through the Serial Recovery wiki about 3 times but still dont seem to get any response from the router's serial port. Would a bad flash fubar the CFE too?
Tweener
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPhoenix wrote:
Would a bad flash fubar the CFE too?

no. Not unless you overwrote the cfe, which should be next to impossible without mtd commands. Check your connections/solder to the serial port in the router.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPhoenix wrote:
Funny you should say that.... when I connect it & power up, it gives me COM21 in HT. Strangely it doesn't show up under Ports in the hardware manager.

Surely if that was the case, I wouldn't be getting local echo when I short the Rx/Tx pins?

It has to.. If it doesn't, you have a defective adapter or the wrong driver. My ca-42 knock-off shows in the device manager in both xp or win7. What OS are you running?

Without is being in the device manager, you have no way of configuring it and that means it is not working. This is where you set the com port if you want to change it. Does your rig "boo-boop" when you plug it in?

I can not explain why your keystrokes are being echo'd. Possibly ht defaults to 1/2 duplex when connected to a phantom serial port. Remove the adapter, are you key strokes still echo'd?

CPhoenix wrote:
little help (please)?

I must have been through the Serial Recovery wiki about 3 times but still dont seem to get any response from the router's serial port. Would a bad flash fubar the CFE too?

The cfe should be fine. your problem is your adapter does not seem to be working.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I knew as soon as I made that last post, I would come across the answer!

Sorry to have wasted your time guys, but hopefully this might stop someone else falling into the same trap as me.

Barry you was right, it was my cable but with a slight difference.

Unfortunately the cable will only work when its got a 3.3v supply, windows will close off the com port if you switch the router off and your comm software (HT, putty, etc.) will no longer work until you close it and re-open when the device has been detected again.
Of course this means that I was never quick enough opening HT to see that the boot process and hit CTRL-C to cancel.

My quick way around it was to disconnect the 3v3 wire, connect 2x AA batteries to the Vcc on CA-42 and the negative end to the ground. Heres a quick diagram:-

*Note this doesn't reflect actual pin sequence

Once its connected, it was just a matter of making sure the Tx/Rx was the right way around, fired up the router and got the boot screen! (Man, I was relieved when I saw that.)

Cheers for everyone's help on this (here & the countless posts I trawled through to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
cgigate
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is very headache to build a reliable in port connector;
I gave up , opened the box and connected directly from the internal 5 pins serial port to save my bricked e2000's life.
easy done!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 14:54    Post subject: E3000 de-bricked Reply with quote
hi folks, thanks for this thread - really saved my day. bricked an E3000 yesterday night, have it up and running like a charm again now Smile (had a Siemens mobile data cable lying around that I could use).
khael
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello!
i bricked linksys e3000...
i have a usb-ttl interface but i don't like it.
I have possibilites to buy rs232->ttl adapter....
+3.3v is necessary?
this is the adapter:
Apokrif
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys,
I saw a picture early on this forums how to make connecter using RJ45 and spring contacts from female plug for RJ45 or RJ* (phone), etc. Cannot find it anymore – anybody have it handy?
I have few old modems lying around, thinking of attaching them to RJ45 somehow to make WAN port serial connector.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: