URGENT NOTICE FOR WRT320N USERS: PLEASE READ!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
numeritos wrote:
fallout330 wrote:
numeritos wrote:
fallout330 wrote:
numeritos wrote:
I have a new problem Sad

I have the following setup:

cable/modem -> router linksys rv042 dual wan (only using one wan connection for now) -> linksys wrt310n -> linksys wrt320n (#1) via wired -> linksys wrt320n (#2) as a repeater bridge.

I've setup the linksys wrt310n to have wifi 802.11g (configured to G-only) so that if someone that doesn't have 802.11n comes to my place they can use internet. It also has both my pc's wired to it (didn't wire them to the rv042 because I wanted to have gigabit lan available)

The first linksys wrt320n (#1) is running the dhcp server (will explain later why) and has N-only at 5Ghz running with WPA2 Personal + AES encryption.

The second wrt320n (#2) is set as a repeater bridge connected to the wrt320n (#1). That's why I had to setup wrt320n (#1) as dhcp server, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Wrt320n (#2) is connected correctly to wrt320n (#1) because I connected my laptop via wire (and prevented wifi to connect) to wrt320n (#2) and I can surf the net, access network shares, etc. I have a decent transfer rate of about 6MB/s.

The thing is when I unplug the wire and try to connect wirelessly, my laptop doesn't use the repeater bridge at all! So the transfer rate goes down to about 1.5-2MB/s. It's driving me insane and I don't know what to do to force the laptop to use wrt320n (#2) when it's closer to it rather than the wrt320n (#1).

Also connection between both wrt320n shows this stats:

Signal Noise SNR Signal Quality
-73 -86 13 ~25%

They're about 4-5 metres away from each other with almost no walls between them so I don't see why signal quality is that bad.

Anyone? Thanks!

EDIT: I must have been too tired yesterday when I configured this whole thing. I skipped some steps and didn't create the virtual interface on the repeater bridge. That's why I couldn't make the laptop use it, d'oh!

What still bothers me is that the signal between both routers is not that good. But what bothers me the most is that when I connect the laptop via wire to wrt320n #2 I have a transfer rate of 6MB/s but now when I connect via wifi to wrt320n #2 the transfer rate is a crappy 2MB/s!! How can that be?

Isn't bandwidth impacted by almost one half on the 2nd bridged router, due to bandwidth needed to communicate between the two bridged routers? I know that's a simplified explanation. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Thanks,

Yes you are right, but in this case it's about 1/3rd of the speed I get if I connect via wire to wrt320n #2.

Also, each router are not THAT far from each other to have that crappy signal between them!

Sorry to hear of the trouble numeritos. I did have my 320n bridged with a 54Gv5 before and saw expected performance. Now I did modify my antennas to 6dbi antennas on the 320n with an upgrade kit I found on ebay, so that may have contributed to possible better performance. I'm wondering myself what the issue is with your setup.

Do you actually have two different SSID's displayed on your laptop when searching for your local personal wireless signal?

Yeah, I see the SSID of wrt320 #1 and the SSID of the virtual interface created on the wrt320n #2.

I might have to find something to boost the antennas so that I have a better signal, but I wish I didn't have too

Ok, was just wondering. If you do decide to upgrade the antennas, the upgrade is fairly easy and straightforward.

numeritos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
fallout330 wrote:

Ok, was just wondering. If you do decide to upgrade the antennas, the upgrade is fairly easy and straightforward.

Any howto's or wiki's on how to do it?

Thanks!

EDIT: also, don't these antennas only work at 2.4Ghz? Because I have both wrt320n working at N-only (5Ghz).

Last edited by numeritos on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:51; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have seen those kits on ebay myself, i only question one thing about them though, since the WRT320N has 3 internal antennas, and the mod only bring 2 of them out, does this effect the overall performance, and also which one is left out, rx/tx?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
numeritos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
I have seen those kits on ebay myself, i only question one thing about them though, since the WRT320N has 3 internal antennas, and the mod only bring 2 of them out, does this effect the overall performance, and also which one is left out, rx/tx?

The mod changes both TX/RX antennas and leaves out the RX one
MrMishu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
helo guys, i have a question is that ok if i use dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin
for the very first time flash from original linksys firmware or its a must to use dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin as is in the flash tutorial? I have linksys wrt32n router.
numeritos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrMishu wrote:
helo guys, i have a question is that ok if i use dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin
for the very first time flash from original linksys firmware or its a must to use dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin as is in the flash tutorial? I have linksys wrt32n router.

I'd just stick to what the wiki says and not skip any step. Also, you should consider upgrading to a more stable version tested for this router, like the 14471
MrMishu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
can u post a link to that build from where i can download, please?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrMishu wrote:
can u post a link to that build from where i can download, please?

Where you can find many builds, 14471 included.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
numeritos wrote:
buddee wrote:

So if you know this, why you ask if there is any wikis on how to do this, would you not just buy the kit and use it?

Also yes leaves out the rx one, how does this effect performance?

fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
numeritos wrote:
buddee wrote:

So if you know this, why you ask if there is any wikis on how to do this, would you not just buy the kit and use it?

Good question buddee. I haven't really done any real testing on performance with the new 6dbi upgraded antennas. I was wondering why the rx antenna was left as it was. The 3 stock antennas that come with the 320n are all fairly small looking, basically 3 wires that connect to the circuit board and are removable. The only real work one must do to install the two new antennas, is to drill two holes in the back of the case, where the two new antennas will be inserted and sticking out.

BTW numeritos, 5Ghz is still up with the new antennas. So 2.4 and 5 Ghz is still an option, just not at the same time of course.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
numeritos wrote:
buddee wrote:

Because the world isn't only USA and they only ship it there.

I saw a good vid on youtube where it explains step by step how to do it. Anyway I think I'm gonna install more powerful antennas with 12dBi if I find where to buy a ufl to rp-sma female adapter.

Also today I tried changing to N-only (2.4Ghz) and now the transfer rate from wrt320n #2 via wifi went up to almost 4MB/s. The downside is that now if I connect something via wire to that router it's not 6MB/s anymore, but also 4MB/s..

What I don't understand is why if I have a SNR of 26-28 the signal quality is as low as ~30%. Will it improve with new antennas or it won't change anything?
Weaseal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
numeritos wrote:
I'd just stick to what the wiki says and not skip any step. Also, you should consider upgrading to a more stable version tested for this router, like the 14471

Where can you read which versions were tested for this router? Just curious. I am running the original 13493M that the wiki suggested and have been afraid to upgrade due to brick risk.
numeritos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weaseal wrote:
numeritos wrote:

Where can you read which versions were tested for this router? Just curious. I am running the original 13493M that the wiki suggested and have been afraid to upgrade due to brick risk.

Read this thread and found that many users used it and it worked fine Very Happy

Although I'm not sure, I think I saw somewhere in the dd-wrt site that it was the latest stable version.
Lucky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't understand all because my english is very good. :|

- Does the reset button works with DD-WRT correctly?
Can I make a 30/30/30 with the reset button or must I use the WPS Button?

- Does anything bricked the WRT320N or all bugs that bricked the router are gone?

I mean that bugs:
Eko wrote:
we all know the problems where wrt320n gets bricked bacause of full nvram (mostly openvpn versions because of all certificates) and due to faulty reset button (wired to wrong gpio) and faulty boot command it is impossible to debrick without serial console.

- Why all works correctly when someone convert the WRT320N to a E2000?

Which latest DD-WRT Build should I use when I want flash from Linksys to DD-WRT?

Lucky
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lucky wrote:

Which latest DD-WRT Build should I use when I want flash from Linksys to DD-WRT?

You need to reference the wiki guide on flashing your wrt320n...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT320N_v1.0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: