URGENT NOTICE FOR WRT320N USERS: PLEASE READ!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
kju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have one question, when you first upgraded from the original Linksys firmware, I use the Mini Generic or WRT320n Linksys firmware: Special file for flashing via TFTP firmware?
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kju wrote:
I have one question, when you first upgraded from the original Linksys firmware, I use the Mini Generic or WRT320n Linksys firmware: Special file for flashing via TFTP firmware?

Correct.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
kju wrote:

Correct.

I have a question....

I have two of these (wrt320N's) at a remote site (customer site) running DD-WRT (a few builds back).

I can remote into the GUI on these but have no direct shell access without going to the site.

Can I put the two commands in the command window and execute them without causing a router reboot or any other issue??

Last edited by dellsweig on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:35; edited 1 time in total
Birba
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kju wrote:
It is necessary to do 30/30/30 reset, or set DEFAULT settings when using 13309 when I want to upgrade to this version?
Thank you for your answer, great job.

I've got the same question.

1. Do i have to do the 30/30/30 reset to flash this firmware?
2. Is the flashing procedure with this firmware installed the same for future firmwares?
Valkyrie-MT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am new to this, and I have read a lot of posts about bricking these, so I just want to be clear...

Quote:
kju wrote:

Eko wrote:
Correct.

I don't understand the answer of "Correct" to that question... Looking at build 13491, for the initial flashing from the original Linksys firmware, you use the one for TFTP ending in "_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin" OR the mini Generic ending in "_K2.6_mini.bin"? Which one? Does it matter?

Also, the 30/30/30 reset is not applicable on the WRT320N, so the only thing to do is to just log in to the Linksys router UI and upload firmware?

One last newbie question: If I want to go back to the Linksys firmware, can I just download the current version from their site and flash it back?

Thanks.
Valkyrie-MT
Dutchman01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damm EKO,

this build did come 1 week to late for me.

mine is bricked, GPIO6 to ground no result.

Ordered a FTDI - TTL-232R-WE - CABLE, USB-TTL, SER CONV, WIRE-END cable

http://nl.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1740364

hope i can debrick it with this cable next month.

To bad almost no shops does have it at the netherlands.

Wy don't you have those cables at the DD-WRT webshop?

Mike
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
gpio 6 trick is all about timing, you must get it right.
Trolletje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
Cybex wrote:
I'll wait for the new version to be available... Thanks

Available now.
Do I only need this two links?

dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

Or all 7 links?
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Valkyrie-MT wrote:
I am new to this, and I have read a lot of posts about bricking these, so I just want to be clear...

Quote:
kju wrote:

Eko wrote:
Correct.

I don't understand the answer of "Correct" to that question... Looking at build 13491, for the initial flashing from the original Linksys firmware, you use the one for TFTP ending in "_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin" OR the mini Generic ending in "_K2.6_mini.bin"? Which one? Does it matter?

Also, the 30/30/30 reset is not applicable on the WRT320N, so the only thing to do is to just log in to the Linksys router UI and upload firmware?

One last newbie question: If I want to go back to the Linksys firmware, can I just download the current version from their site and flash it back?

Thanks.
Valkyrie-MT

Yes, it matters. You need to use the correct build for the initial flash or you risk bricking your router.

- You do NOT have to do 30-30-30 reset for this particular Linksys 320n router.

- You do NOT have to use TFTP to flash-upgrade this particular Linksys 320n router. But you probably can if you want to read the long Linksys 320n thread to find its instructions.

- Reboot the router, so that it is fresh, and make sure certain things work on the Linksys firmware:

- LAN computers can connect to the router.
- Wireless computers can connect to the router.
- Internet access works.
- Network browsing to see other computer names works.
- File sharing works.
- You know how to ping your router's and computer's IP address.
- Anything else you deem important for your router to be able to do with original Linksys firmware.

If you don't know how to setup the above things on a router, you probably should NOT be using DD-WRT until you learn how to make them work and can confirm for sure that the router works correctly with original Linksys firmware.
Doing the above step also serves to check that your router is in good working condition and NOT defective.

*** Instructions on How to flash-install DD-WRT onto your Linksys 320n router for the FIRST TIME ***

1. Change your computer's control panel Power Options so that it will NOT go to sleep, hiberate, screen-saver, or lose power during this critical task. Save the settings.

2. Login to the Linksys original firmware. I use and recommend the Firefox 3.5.7 web browser. It should also work for Internet Explorer, but I didn't test IE.
(If you don't know how to login to the original firmware, read the Linksys manual).

3 Then Reset to factory defaults (using the Administration\Factory defaults button).
Then Reboot, login again.

4. Go to the Linksys web firmware flash upgrade page.

5. For the FIRST TIME flashing to DD-WRT, I web-flash-installed using the "dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin" build.

Make sure it has the suffix "_wrt320n.bin" because that file has the appropriate header info for FIRST-TIME flashing to DD-WRT on the Linksys 320N router.

Sidebar: To find the latest build, go to http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

Then go through Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 > {latest build number}

Note: These latest builds are developmental, so there is usually some risk that things may not work as expected until someone tests it first.

In the build folder, go up one or two folder levels to check if there are any "Readme.txt" file to read.

6. I waited 3-5 minutes until the web page reported that the web-flash was successful. Wait another 3-5 minutes in case the firmware is rebooting and initializing the NVRAM or whatever (just wait to be sure that the flash is completely finished with its processing).
The web page will usually automatically display the DD-WRT page when things are complete and ready for you to use.

Then I manually logged-into the DD-WRT firmware. It should prompt you to change the user and password to something else.
Then within DD-WRT, go to Status page, and verify the correct build number.

7. After the router is ready again, I opened the browser and web-flash-install using the "dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin" build.
Or you can choose to web-flash to any of the other same build number variants.

8. Wait 3-5 minutes, and the web page should automatically report that the flash was successful. Wait another 3-5 minutes in case the firmware is rebooting and initializing the NVRAM or whatever (just wait to be sure that the flash is completely finished with its processing).

9. Login to the build and verify the correct build number on the Status page. Done.

-------------------------------------------
Optional step:
If your router is NOT getting its WAN and DNS numbers properly from the cable Internet modem, then...

- Un-plugged the cable Internet modem and router, and disable your computer's LAN or Wireless adapter.

- Re-plug the cable Internet modem, wait 1 full minute, then re-plug the DD-WRT router and wait 1 full minute.

- Then enable your computer's LAN or Wireless adapter.

- This should force the DHCP protocol to get the WAN, DNS, and local IPs from your ISP provider and gives it to the modem, router, and computer LAN adapter correctly.

- Then login to the DD-WRT Mini build, and go to the Status > WAN page to check the IPs numbers are displayed.

-------------------------------------
If you lose Internet access, but used to have it with the old router, then this may OR MAY NOT be a possible remedy:

- Some Cable Internet providers, like Comcast (in northern California, USA), do NOT like an unknown (or foreign) MAC address device on its network, and it may (or may not) cut off Internet access within 5-30 minutes.
- If that happens, then you will have to Clone the MAC Address to be the identical MAC address as either:

(a) the local computer's MAC address or
(b) the previous router's WAN MAC address (yes, you might have to login to your old router to find it's WAN MAC address or look on the bottom of the router).

- Think of your previous PC or router's MAC address as the "MAC password" to use the Cable Internet system (e.g. Comcast).
- Seriously, write the nasty hexadecimal MAC address down and keep it safe for any future changes to your router.

- You may NOT have realized it, but it seems that Comcast does try to get and lock down the MAC address of the first router device at the time the ISP service is first installed and set-up.

- If you want to deal with your ISP, you may have to call them to see if they can reset your MAC address to get the new MAC on your new router (instead of using the old router's MAC address).
- I have had to call Comcast in the past to request this help from them.

- Sometimes, it's just easier and faster to Clone the MAC Address than to deal with the ISP customer rep (who may NOT understand what you're asking about), so you decide.

- If the above remedy does NOT work for you, then you'll have to find another remedy that works for you.

- The remedy worked for me, so I didn't pursue this matter any further.

-----------------------

- I used the DD-WRT Mini build. I figure if the Mini build has less modules, then there's less firmware code to go wrong (assuming compiling various variations of the same build number wasn't a problem). If I ever wanted more features, then I would try the other versions.

I have NOT tried to go back to the original Linksys firmware, so someone else will have to answer that question.

If you really, really want to go back to the original Linksys firmware, go read the entire main Linksys320n thread. It's in there somewhere.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w

Last edited by bbb_forever on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:18; edited 20 times in total
SonicJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:

I have NOT tried to go back to the original Linksys firmware, so someone else will have to answer that question.

If you really, really want to go back to the original firmware, go read the entire following thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
It's in there somewhere.

I haven't tried it since the first build flashing back to linksys firmware was as simple as resetting the router to defaults and then logging in again and using the web gui to upload the original linksys firmware from their website. Just make sure you reset to default first, or you risk locking yourself out of the router.
Straks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn, why did i do this, i had my router finally running without problem for (Uptime
44 days, 20:32 ), and now i saw this major important thread.

So i telnet into my router and added those 2 command in the first post, guess what my router is back to the problem with overloaded cpu @ 100%.

what was the defualt value of this?

nvram set reset_gpio=5
nvram commit
jinjorge
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

nvram set reset_gpio=5
nvram commit

you should be able to unset it using

Code:
nvram unset reset_gpio

what release are you running on your 320N?

J

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
jinjorge wrote:
Quote:

nvram set reset_gpio=5
nvram commit

you should be able to unset it using

Code:
nvram unset reset_gpio

what release are you running on your 320N?

J

Thanks, im running the first release i think.

router.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.68 KB
 Viewed:  92769 Time(s)

router.png

jinjorge
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
couple things you may want to check.

telnet/ssh into you router and run top to see what process is taking up most of the cycles

if you have upnp enabled, you may want to update to a newer svn image.

ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/

J

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
jinjorge wrote:
couple things you may want to check.

telnet/ssh into you router and run top to see what process is taking up most of the cycles

if you have upnp enabled, you may want to update to a newer svn image.

ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/

J

i dont have upnp enabled

telnet23.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.98 KB
 Viewed:  92732 Time(s)

telnet23.png

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: